Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (PS4, XB1, Switch, Steam)

Fun fact: WW Sagat’s high tiger shots hit mid on some characters like Gief and he can’t lariat through them ether.

They could simply used the SNES WW Boss version in terms of execution and borrow some stuff like throws that is more defined. Since WW Boss snes version have been designed to be used, unlike the Arcade counter part that was only access via hack.

I definitely wanna play as characters that dont have crouching normals.

I don’t think that’s true. The bosses were not playable on SNES WW, and the only codes that let you use them were memory space hacks that gave them Ryu’s moveset.

1 Like

Agree you are correct, they should remain to be played against rather than be used to be played.

I was looking in a old gamefaq faq it was wrong all along.

1 Like

28 days left until it’s here

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing some retro game moments compilation videos…

James Chen rambling for 15 minutes about the history of SF1 and 2.

4 Likes

I loved SF1 back in the old arcade days. I remember playing it on the pneumatic buttons versions, smashing those buttons down and working up a sweat! The music and the muffled voices really bring me back. I played it recently on the PCE, and even though it doesn’t really hold up, I still enjoy playing it, and there’s still something really satisfying about hitting someone with a fireball or uppercut; the sound effects, the size of the fireball or distance of the uppercut traveled, and the slowdown on impact…it made the specials feel really special.

1 Like

I’m surprise to know someone that claims to love SF1? I have played and finished it even the other version and ports of SF1, I just did it for the sake of curiousity and being a fan of the franchised TBH.

Well it’s partly nostalgia for me. I was arcade gaming since the early '80’s and I remember how popular SF1 was when it came out. Before SF1, the most popular versus fighting game from what I remember was Karate Champ, so SF1 really blew our minds back then with the large-sized multi-colored sprites, all the different grades of attacks, and special moves. It actually was well received in the arcade, especially when rev.2 came out and switched from the pneumatic buttons to the 6-button layout. Like I said, SF1 doesn’t really hold up by today’s standards, but that doesn’t make it a bad game. It was good at the time, but it wasn’t really meant to be what fighting games are today… human vs. human. It was purely an arcade game, with a high difficulty of that era of games. After SF1, there were a bunch of fighting games that were released that tried to follow up the popularity. Games like Pit Fighter, Violence Fight, Kageki which all play the same really (horrible) was what happened after SF1, till SF2 changed everything. When SF2 came out, it was all anyone could talk about. That’s where the origin of “putting your quarter down” came from…I remember rows of quarters on the CP’s and people crowding around the cabinets, the hype of each match, and the new discovery of moves and combos. Those were the halcyon days my friends.

2 Likes

That was amazing to know I started going to arcade in 92 and begin with bunch of konami beat em ups especially the Xmen in the nearby supermarket then at 93 that was the first time I played a one on one game and that is a CE hack in a mall with my dad, I was in 2nd grade at that time. So I never knew the vibe of earlier era.

The rainbow edition on the hi-tech bootleg cabs were almost everywhere in are place before rather than the official game. My first legit SF experience in the arcade was from HF that gave me a more stable outlook on the fundamentals of the game rather than just spamming projectile off screen that is many did in the hacked ver of CE.

My first console was famicom and never did have the others because of the strict household. So I spent time more in the arcade in the mid 90s, Yup I did also fall in line to play for the latest game in a megalo cab.

My first experience with SF1 was in the year 2k because of emulation and the internet.

2 Likes

Vaguely remember playing the cab version of sf1. I want to say some kid friendly place in Vegas but it was in the early to early mid 90’s, and my memory is a bit foggy!

First time I actually gave any worth of time was SF2 on SNES at my friends. This had to be the first version as iirc he had just got the console and the group of us, some of us, it was a new experience on the snes. I would play Ryu everytime, and only lasted a handful of sets as I’d get a massive blister on my thumb due to trying to mash out fireballs. Its after playing first on snes that I started to notice cabs at pizza joints, walmarts, chucky cheese, movie theaters, etc.

Unfortunately, my area didn’t have a scene and the first time I came to realize fighting games could have anything close beyond a bunch of friends, was during peewee football camp at a college campus’ game room that just got a tekken 2 cab besides having a few others, and during lunch break people would put quarters down for a spot to play winner. I learned more about fighting games that week then I did with football.

3 Likes

He is unaltered in HFS2. See the vid:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/05/08/street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection-training-and-versus-mode-details

2 Likes

Some seemingly major points from that article

• The collection seems to have originally not been intended to have versus or training modes for any of the games. Was added later on in development so you’ll have to download a day one DLC to get vs and training modes.

• They speak of a robust training mode for the 4 online games. Not sure if that means the other games dont have training modes or just means the 4 online games have better training modes than the others

• The Switch version of the game comes with an extra novelty game. Super SF2 tournament edition ish thing where you can play a port of the specialize LAN version of the game that connected 8 cabs together for 8 man tournaments. This tournament mode was also included in the SNES and Genesis SSF2 games (without the LAN ability, just takes turns with the controller)

2 Likes

Am I in la-la land here or something? I could have swore that versus/training was confirmed for the final build months ago. But I’m seeing like every site reporting this as brand new information. Lol

2 Likes

I think is just Capcom’s first official blog on the modes. Otherwise yeah, it’s been announced a lot.

1 Like

Ugh. I think that that’s exactly what it means, only the online play games will have training modes. That really sucks. Oh well.

Yeah I hope there’s at least a barebones training mode for the other games, A2 in particular. The use of the word “robust” for the online games implies that the others will have a little something.

Nice touch with the stage names. In Japanese versions (Zero 2 & 3 as opposed to Alphas) they would list the stage locations in arcade mode, nice touch to see that translated. (Zero 3 also had character-specific win quotes, but that’s probably a bridge too far.)

1 Like