"Smash Faces, Get Money." The Balrog/Boxer Matchup Thread

I’ve had the same problem. Her spin knuckle cross up and spin knuckle into cr.mp frame trap get me a lot. Went to the lab for a bit, and just realized I could jab her out mid spin. Even better cr.hp for a cc into ex dash punch, etc. I’m still a noob rog so I’m still bad at that matchup. I didn’t read this info anywhere so if it was already posted my bad lol.

How do you stop online shotos from crossup jumping nonstop? 2HP and 5MP whiff or trade with their jumping attacks. It’s very annoying and they get + frames on block for a free mixup. Basically a win win for them.

If you can’t use normal anti-airs, then you have to either dash under or go for air-to-air attacks. j.LP, j.LK and j.MK all have some decent active frames, so jump with those and knock them out of air.

You could always use Smash (d,u+K). Granted it can be stuffed, but if you get the timing right, it is a good punish. And if you are close, then EX-version has armor so it is no problem.

Thank you for the tip Mr. Balboa.

Now here’s another match-up I have a lot of trouble with using any character.

Guile: The trickiest thing here with Balrog, is that the V-skill and TAP are completely shut down by Guile’s crush counter so the approach is excessively hard and if you manage to half kill yourself getting in, he can just V-reversal you back out and has an invincible reversal to deter you from using your full pressure on his knockdown.

I’m absolutely helpless against shotos. Everything is safe except dps, but if you knock them down it’s basically a 50/50 mixup on YOU between throw or DP.

CFN is legaleagle7187

You only need to bait one to kill them or discourage them from dp’ing. You have normals that reach further than anything they can do. St.hp, st.hk is a great to fish for CC. This is a player problem so try heading into the lab and recreating the scenario, then just practice your options. Like backdash, block+jump back+tech OS, interrupt a fake string. Etc

I feel like once kens realize that they can approach Rog from the air for free with tatsu that match up is going to be horrible.

Oh wow I thought I was the only one with that. Air tatsu is straight brain-dead.

Anyone have input on the alex mu?

I think this is pretty straight forward match-up.

*Don’t get caught in frametraps and try not to get knocked down
*Punish Flash Chops if they are poorly spaced. For example s.LP xx LP.DashPunch or if he is really close LK-MK-HK target combo
*Punish s.HK with s.LP
*Careful with dash punches when Alex has his V-Trigger on

Thanks for the tips. I kinda figured out a gameplan after running a few sets last night. Just play a little more patient, and when the moment arises bully him.

I think Rog has advantage over Alex, it’s very hard to approach a good Balrog when playing Alex.

Play reactively and keep any advances out, keep the occasional cr.mp buffer to stop any elbows and harass with St.hp and cr.mk buffer tc, makes Alex have a hard time poking with cr.mp and walking up. Dash punches are also very hard to punish because of Alex’s bad range on St.lp/cr.lp

I don’t know what game you’re playing but is sure isn’t SFV, cr.lp on Alex is Balrog’s cr.mp kinds of long. I don’t think Rog can effectively take the initiative against Alex in a neutral situation without some kind of punish, Alex’s buttons are longer, he has good normals for stuffing Dash Straight, Headbutt and Stomp can be used to stuff you when closing if hes not confident at counterpoking lp. Dash Straight, and his V-Trigger shuts down Balrog’s pressure really well, plus a command grab to punish Balrog on block. Balrog wins match-ups where he can control and dominate the neutral space and Alex has the tools to not let him do that.

I definitely haven’t played the MU enough but I’ve been getting bopped by Alex. Can’t jump at him whatsoever and his buttons just seem better in a lot of situations.

I’ve seen Smug use s.MK as a counter-poke in a set vs. Alex and it seems to be decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xj_RCQ_kis

Decided to play some ranked, and played the same ryu back to back. I got bodied, and started playing on tilt which made me start dropping things, missing my techs, and not being able anit-air. I always go back and rewatch a loss. Just wanted some tips from ppl more experienced. Lol

https://youtu.be/gvwXg0KkDXQ
https://youtu.be/90SLeoQxhms
https://youtu.be/D_fIvrFX6qI

Have some time tonight so I’ll help out. Besides the AAs, teching, and combos, I’d say work on your meaties, punishes, frametraps, and keeping the pressure. I am by no means a good Balrog yet, but this is just what I’d do, if in your place, at different spots in the match.

Punishes
Lots of moments during the match where you could’ve gotten a lot more damage off the Ryu player’s mistakes. These aren’t all possible punishes you can do (might be more damaging ones I’m not stating here), just ones I would probably do if in your situation. Timestamps below and punishes you could’ve used.

Ranked 1
[list]
[] 1:32 - 1:34: The Ryu player whiffs 3 DPs in this time. I don’t think you were at the distance where you could’ve dashed in and gotten a CC st.HK -> cr.MP xx light dash low, but I do think that you could’ve gotten a medium dash low or medium dash straight (while Ryu is airborne) for the knock down, and start your oki.
[
] 1:35: The Ryu player’s cr.HK gets blocked at close range. That move is -11 on block, so an appropriate punish would be:
[list]
[] st.HK->cr.MP xx light dash low for oki.
[
] cr.HK
[/list]
[*] 1:46: The Ryu player’s hadoken gets blocked at close range. At that range, since all of Ryu’s hadokens are punishable on block, you could’ve used:

[list=1]
[] cr.MP xx light dash low
[
] st.MK -> st.MP target combo (tc) (punch or kick version)
[*] st.LP xx light dash straight.
[/list]
[/list]

Ranked 2
[list]
[] 0:25: The Ryu drops his combo. Appropriate punishes would’ve been:
[list]
[
] CC st.HK -> walk up a bit -> st.HK -> cr.MP xx light dash low
[*] CC st.HK ->st.MK -> st.MP tc (punch or kick)
[/list]
[/list]

Ranked 3
[list]
[] 0:11: The Ryu’s cr.HK gets blocked. I noticed the attempt to punish with cr.MP , which was awesome, just gotta practice the dash low or dash straight cancel after it.
[
] 0:27: The Ryu whiffs a medium DP. Appropriate punishes:
[list]
[] CC st.HK -> walk up -> cr.MP xx light dash low
[
] CC st.HK ->st.MK -> st.MP tc (punch or kick)
[] CC cr.HP xx heavy dash low -> ex dash straight straight or light dash straight
[/list]
[
] 0:38: The Ryu’s cr.HK gets blocked again at close range, appropriate punishes:
[list]
[] st.HK->cr.MP xx light dash low for oki.
[
] cr.HK
[/list]
[]1:02, 1:09: The Ryu’s light tatsu gets whiffed. I noticed a st.LP, which could have been canceled into light straight. Other punishes are:
[list]
[
] st.LK -> st.MK -> st.HK tc
[] st.MP -> st.MK tc (punch or kick version)
[/list]
[
]1:24: Notice a punish attempt at this timestamp! Great attempt, just needs to be practiced a bit more!
[]1:32: The Ryu’s cr.HP gets blocked. This move is -7 on block so appropriate punishes include:
[list]
[
] st.MK -> st.MP tc (punch or kick)
[] st.LK -> st.MK -> st.HK tc
[
] cr.MP xx light dash low
[/list]
[]2:38: The Ryu’s v-trigger hadoken gets blocked at close (ish?) range. All of his hadokens in v-trigger are -6, appropriate punishes at that range would’ve been:
[list]
[
] cr.MP xx dash low xx charging buffalo xx CA
[*] st.LP xx light dash straight xx charging buffalo xx CA
[/list]
[/list]

Meaties & Frame Traps
A few missed opportunities for pressure during this set on the Ryu’s knocked down. Almost everytime he was knocked, and you were in close range, the Ryu would wake up w/ a button, which could’ve been used as free damage. The Ryu was also pressing a lot of buttons and straight up not respecting any of your offense. Here’s a video I found that covers Balrog’s meaties and frametraps among other things, check it out and start practicing:

Keeping The Pressure
On knockdowns, I noticed you were walking back a lot. This isn’t a bad thing for baiting DPs or throws (at close range), but at mid range, I’d suggest going in with a KKB canceled light dash straight or low. I’d really practice that as it’s a tool you’ll be using to get in at certain instances. The Ryu started taking advantage of you walking back so much ( and not blocking low), which is why there were so many sweeps, in case you were asking, “Why does he keep going for the sweep so much?”

Ran out of time after the punishes section, so forgive me if the other sections seem a bit short and rushed. Hope this is useful to you! If there’s anything in here a more experienced Balrog would add or correct, please feel free to do so.

Man… Ibuki is completely obliterating me right now. I play an insanely good Ibuki regularly and it’s really ugly for me. Essentially her longer, faster buttons and her great walkspeed and endless pressure strings have me completely stumped.

It’s almost impossible to touch her with any buttons because she can just dance outside your range with her superior walkspeed and whiff punish easily with a full combo any button you stick out. This has completely shut down any footsies my Balrog has

She has one of the best punishes against Balrog’s dash punch in this game. Her stand light kick will punish any range of light dash punch that isn’t spaced to hit at the absolute tip. This has shut down my use of dash punch

Her pressure doesn’t end. I mean it lasts forever (the corner is legit game over) and like I said before, if she’s done a string she can just walk outside all buttons and whiff punish everything Balrog has. I’m basically locking for the vast majority of the match until she breaks me. My buttons are either too short or too slow to break any of her pressure. She even has a really good range on her grab and she can do that Cammy trick of just constantly walking up and jabbing you in the face for free.

She can also confirm her crazy 50/50 resetathon of a trigger off of just about any button that she can easily whiff punish you with.

It’s truly an unwinnable nightmare for me right now. Any help is appreciated.

Well i dont have much knowledge on the mika match up. But can say this much when she use her vskill please Punisher. Dont back peddle and wonder where nadeshiko is coming from. Most mika won’t block right after they pop that vtrigger

I believe she has slight recovery after v-trig. I haven’t been using it yet but I feel like EX screw smash would be good because it can armor nadeshiko and cover a pretty decent range. That’s assuming the Mika uses it raw.

The character I’ve had the most trouble finding a plan for is birdie. How do you all feel about him?