"Smash Faces, Get Money." The Balrog/Boxer Matchup Thread

Ryu is 5-5, Ryu’s just need to jump smarter with j.lk, his pressure and damage is scary. Your typical Boxer Ryu match up though.

Chun could be 5.5-4.5 her favor, her buttons are really good and her pressure is amazing of course. Rog defense has to be on point, cr.fierce beats IALL and you can be fairly late with it even and it’ll still snuff or trade in your favor. But she bleeds.

Karin I feel would be 5-5, like a lesser version of Chun without a reliable meterless AA.

Necalli I am unsure of atm, from my experience his normals straight out prioritize a lot of Rog’s which may pose problems in neutral. Balrog does have the range and dash punch. Rog can also v-skill past seismo I thiiiiiiiink. It’s escaping me if I’ve done that a couple times.

Idk if I’m being bias because I think Rog is really good but I def haven’t come across any match against any character that makes me feel completely helpless.

The most annoying would be Chun, FANG and Alex for me though.

Can you please expand on that?

There’s no gimmicks involved. Balrog has naturally always had an edge over Ryu and similar shoto’s.

The MU ends up being all about the neutral, neither can jump because Ryu has DP and Boxer has st.mp and cr.hp.

Ryu has to inch forward to make dash punch spacing harder for Rog. He has to pre-emptively stick out limbs (like low forward buffer tatsu) to beat dash punches. He has to watch fireballs because of TAP, super, and even more-so in SFV because of V-skill

When you look at their previous MU’s in different games you’ll find that it often ends up looking the same despite each character having new tools.

EDIT: I said st.mk up above but I meant st.mp, changed.

Yup.

Ryu:: I use V-Skill a lot against Ryu and Ken. I noticed that it is very easy to do on reaction and also hits faster than TAP. However usually I have to go for the P-version to be a bit more safe. If spaced correctly, then Ryu usually cannot punish even if he recovers to block it.

Ken: Not that much insight here, but definitely be careful how you space LP dash punch. Ken can easily punish with his target combo to tatsu. Also Ken’s neurtal j.HK is very good against Rog, so keep in mind that they are going to be doing a lot n.jumps. Maybe I timed it wrong, but my Screw Smash got stuffed also.

How do you deal with chun-li’s pokes?

st.mk whiff punishes her main poke (st.hp) into dash low is my go-to so I stay in there for pressure. st.hp is decent but can get stuffed almost for free by her b.hp. cr.mk to beat st.rh but it’s pretty hard. The neutral isn’t impossible, def winnable and Balrog gets way more off the meterless whiff punish confirms.

Just to add, Balrog actually has a pretty decent keep away game from Chun, she can’t take too much white life cause 900 health and she can’t fireball because v-skill p. And dash straight is always annoying when you have to approach Rog. Just careful when she has super or meter.

lol how do i fight bison. im 0-6 vs him in ranked

his buttons seem to blow mine up and scissors beats rush punch. maybe i should just stay cool and wait for minus/neutral moves?

^ I have the same issue. But you really can’t wait on negative moves since the flames are really the only one. Plus you’ll be teching throws all day.

Also Cammy. What do I do?

Post some vids so we can dissect! Or just post replay id’s

Does anyone have any specific tips for Mika? After getting hit by a blocked drop kick or jump in I’ll either get hit by a command grab or get hit by the jumping command grab. Is there any other way to avoid this 50/50 other than to try not to let her hit with me the drop kick in the first place?

EDIT: I forgot about V reversal haha

Bison seems best when you turtle waiting for a chance to steal a turn and aiming to jump at him from angles where his cr.hp will lose to j.hk

This is the best option honestly.

Good news is you can just s.lp her out of it and the timing isn’t that hard.

Pretty much this. Bison’s normal are all positive on block except his sweep I think. Trying to counter poke will just get you frame trapped. Just let him push you out of range than try to catch him on your approach. Also his scissor kicks are all negative on block (except his EX one is +1) so wait for him to throw that out and then lay on your pressure. He is a charge character too so dash throws or Dash Punches with an empty Vskill cancel to throw can work real good. His fastest normal is 4 frames so use your lk target combo in reset situations and you should beat anything he tries unless he just blocks.

Completely unrelated here, but does anyone know what the deal with all of the people lk spamming in the casual queue? Is it just people just farming fight money before Juri comes out or what? It seems like half my matches are against people that just stand spamming lk.

Good to know I’ll have to work on that. That’s why I asked, it’s quite a scary move to throw a button into.

Anyone got tips for Balrog vs Laura?

Get a good life lead in the neutral and wall up. Don’t go in unnecessarily, one missed meaty where Laura can sneak in her st.mk into VT can literally end you. Her ex fb is incredibly good as it is too slow to V-skill through especially when Laura is walking forward with it active. Laura has very easy meaties off all her KD’s but they usually can be v-reversal’d for a guaranteed hit.

Basically.

1. You win the neutral, st.hp, cr.mp are good pokes. St.mk/cr.hk is a really good whiff punish normal. J.mk is also a good jump in against her.

2. Pressure Laura without meter and vtrigger as she doesn’t get much. Usually if you’re beating Laura in neutral they resort to throwing a ex fb midscreen. Which is good, because it’s not being used as a mix-up tool.

3. her lp elbow is -2 on block, remember to take your turn after that. Get started with a jab.

It’s still a hard match up because Laura is capable of playing solid without having to go ham. So read the type of player and adjust. Balrog really rules the neutral here though, so make it last as long as possible.

Getting knocked down vs. Laura is horrible. Use backrolls and delayed wake up to fuck with her oki. Don’t let her take 40% from one knockdown. With that in mind, make sure to learn what options Laura has after her knockdowns so you can avoid being caught by them, knowing is half the battle ;p

Some (obvious) tips against Juri:

Juri’s specials seem pretty unsafe. I think you can punish nearly all of them with lk-mk-hk target combo. Move store kicks, EX Axe Kick and EX release kick are safe. However LK wheel kick is only -3 so s.LK is the only punish for that, but if it is spaced right you will whiff. Probably many Juris will do another move (eg. another wheelkick) right after a blocked LK wheel kick so be careful when trying to punish.

Her V-Skill isn’t great. I think you can basically mash s.LK when she starts charging and it will knock her out of it. Edit: Not sure about this. At least it works after the cross up.

Punish her s.HK with s.LP or s.LK if it is not spaced right.

She only has one overhead which doesn’t lead into anything. Some specials look like they are overheads, but they are not.
(I haven’t unlocked the character so cannot confirm all of this, but these are based on the few matches I played yesterday.)**

So how might one fight a chun that constantly neutral jumps at a safe distance. If you try to air-to-air, she reacts and wins. If you approach you get attacked from above. Dash punch of course loses to her splits, and she very much wins the ground game if you get to her neutral jump range. Right now this match up feels really really bad for balrog.

Any tips?