SFxT General Discussion #3 - Still Alive

As a casual observer of this game, I will say that I’m extremely pleased with Capcom’s decision to make reversal>tag unsafe on block across the board. I love SFIV personally, but the ability to make invincible moves safe is the only aspect of that series that really grinds my gears, so it was extremely disappointing to see that mechanic carry over to SFxT as well.

Now here’s hoping that AE 2013 becomes a thing and Capcom removes the ability to FADC invincible reversals on block or at least makes dashing forward after doing so completely unsafe. I would be so happy haha.

Kid-Buu is the worst offender of mashing cr.attacks. I will be so glad when this patch exposes him.

Lol, right.

I’m sure no thought was put into this at all.

There should also be more systematic changes that tie in with these nerfs and buffs. If they’re making systemwide nerfs on chains and meter for one, there’s going to be more overall boost in gameplay.

Again, there was a double pandora thing going on with the PSVita screenshots that nobody would clarify yet and that there were no special gems equipped on that team.

Chances are they changed cross assault and possibly even pandora.

wall dives have been pointless except to tag in opponent since games release. i dont use them now on grounded opponents anyway because of how unsafe they are so I’d much rather them nerf something i dont use than something I do use

yeah Gief was nerfed. But the only difference between now and the patch is that it’s just going to take 1 more mixup or 1 more combo to get the same damage.

Yeah, the Hugo damage nerfs in particular give me the feeling that they might’ve changed some of the defensive systems, more specifically rolls.

My salt at getting raw tag when I want Pandora is at killing babies level.

The more I read the changes, the more I think they will actually improve the game.
The damage reduction isn’t severe and paired with health regen nerf it will probably balance things out.
The fact that they nerf safish strings and tags is huge, and should give better opportunities to finish off a character before the other makes its appearance.

And characters will get more individual play styles as well without the boost combo madness.

What I don’t like at all is that meter gain is getting hit too hard. Especially since rounds will probably last shorter, giving you even less meter to make a comeback in the next round. I like how this game presents you with options because of the generous meter gain. If they take that away we have SF4 all over again, where half the cast has no options on defense.
I wonder what they will do about Alisa’s meter gain. I might accept some meter gain nerf if they give her an anti air as promised. Preferably give MP DP upper body invul and leave LP DP as is.

Did Cammy get regular Cannon Strike off Hooligan? And no damage nerf to H Cannon spike? So I can still AA with trade H Spike, dash, H Spike tag for 300 damage in 2 hits.

But why no mention of Gief’s cr.LP? I wanted to see it whiff punishable.

I don’t see anything in there which will change his frametraps.

Boost combo of choice > cr.LK is no longer a frame trap. XD

And this is a bad thing because…?

No, seriously, I didn’t know Cody was that far off. That’s some Marvel stupidity right there and people were actually complaining this was removed? C’mon.

Cody had free punish on tons of the roster with a long range 3f c.LK. Like the only character out of the blue that has it. In the middle of a game where 90% of the cast has a lot of -3 to -5 on block moves but with sufficient push back distance. Only problem again is that Cody’s c.LK can actually reach those people while everyone else cannot. Didn’t make sense at all.

what time does the Capcom tourney start???

You understand that they’re unsafe on block for most characters in most matchups, that even a Kaz is often better off looking for link hit confirms, and that they massively scale damage and leave a bunch of recoverable life, but you’ve still hated them since day 1? Btw not that day 1 of anything should have any input on what we think now, but alright. I guess I just don’t understand why you think boost chains are a problem, it sounds like you don’t really think they are except in the case of Codys. But why is any block string a problem in a game with alpha counters? And some characters can punish any boost chain on block, so it’s really more of a matchup concern.

Even after having thought about it for the last day, I think the net of these changes is to make the game less interesting and more like SF4. I like SF4 a lot, but I also like that SFxT was its own thing. If I were them, I’d have tried to highlight the differences, but that’s not what this is. With boost chains nerfed and switch canceling indirectly nerfed on hit because of the meter stuff and on block because of meter and less blockstun on moves, it seems that one of the major differences (you have two characters that you can switch between!) will be nerfed. The meter nerf also means fewer alpha counters and fewer extended combos. The nerf to boost chains even for characters without good hit confirms into damage otherwise means opening opponents up will be harder too.

I dunno what additional game engine changes they’re going for, but I hope they’ll be significant.

um… SSF4 was predominantly buffs. Only some of the stronger characters got nerfed and those nerfs were offset with buffs.

This patch is predominantly nerfs with a few occasional buffs.

The last time we got nerfs and changes like this we ended up with AE… the only difference is that we dont yet know if we have another Yun/Yang big gap between stronger characters and weaker characters. If there is… then you’ll start seeing a ton of people telling capcom to rebalance again

yeah blanka’s changes baffle me. But they did the same shit to Vega in SF4, they made him shitty in vanilla then gave him slight buffs from vanilla to super, then AE hit they nerfed him to just above vanilla stats again, then 2012 they gave back a couple options … guess Blanka is their new target. Except that they’ve taken the nerf hammer to him in every iteration since Vanilla SF4. 2012 was the only decent buff i’ve seen capcom give this guy.

If you made FADC unsafe it would be enough to stop people from doing FADC a lot. Removing the ability to FADC and dash backward for safety is too much. The cost is 2 bars for it so it’s justified that if they want to spend half their meter to make it safe they should be able to do so.

what double pandora thing?
Edit: nevermind. Looks like cross assault got buffed to where both characters are in pandora state

That alone justifies some of the nerfs

it is whiff punishable. lol

meter gain is less probably due to cross assault buff.

Quoted for truth. It’s the same shit about the safe jab spamming. Every character has the ability to use launcher to crush crouching attacks, including those of boost combos. Every character has access to Alpha counter… which can punish most moves in the game and all boost combos that I know of. On top of that most boost combos were unsafe… and lead to less damage more recoverable health than links. I dont have a problem if my opponent wants to take the inferior option to deal damage to me.

This what people have been asking for since day 1. SFIV with tag.

The Team Pandora thing was just from a screenshot of the Burst Kumite mode. Not a new mechanic to the main game. I myself dont really care for Pandora to be a thing, or even worse become this games xfactor.

What I wouldnt mind tho, is for them to give you full control over both your characters during Cross Assault by allowing manual command switching to the player. Almost resembling Tag Assaults from Tekken Tag 2. This could open up alot of possiblilities and couldnt really be considered cheap since its something that good teamwork could also accomplish in pair play 2v2 (remember Tokido and Fuudo at Evo2012).

he was kinda trolling other people that can only do this lol
But Yeah I’m glad Cody, Ryu, and Rufus got nerfed, seriously this is make people actually LEARN other characters

Yes thank for the bigger hit boxes on those two moves. Now make :hk: and :b::hk: completely invulnerable to all low and crouchning normals

I think it would be helpful if we didn’t talk about Cody in regards to Boost combo discussion. He’s a clear outlier and not the norm.