SFxT General Discussion #3 - Still Alive

I’ve actually been working on Ken’s Hurricane, but I don’t really know how meaty attacks work. I was testing it against Ryu’s super (5 frames) and I was able to punish it every time. I put that down to my lack of meaty knowledge, to be honest.
Also, you boosted my ego by quoting me, UltraDavid. I’m touched. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still looking into things for the characters I’m playing, but haven’t messed with OS too much. Not because I wouldn’t use them… I’ve just not been good about using them and keeping them in mind for years, lol. I’ll be keeping an eye on that more though while in training. :tup:

Reverse Blockable Thesis:

This technique is still in development!

Street Fighter
Ryu/Ken, Various; J.Hk, J.Hp, J.Lp. Needs more testing
Cody, J.Mk, J.Hk
Dudley, J.Mk
M.Bison, J.Hk

Tekken
King, J.Hk, J.Lk, J.Mk
Asuka, J.Hp
Jin, J.Hk
Raven, J.Mk
Nina, J.Hk, J.Lk, J.Mp, J.Hp
Bryan, J.Mk

Thoughts:

Steve can force you to wake up the other way, but I don’t believe he has cross up attack. Luckily, Zangief doesn’t possess this ability!
It will trade with Shoto DP, it can beat Cammy’s DP, but loses to her EX DP. It can beat Sagat’s DP, it will lose to his EX DP. Just to separate the two things, this ISN’T a safe jump attempt. Things like Rufus auto correct EX Messiah will beat it. What this technique CAN do is stop your opponent from blindly mashing an invincible reversal, as they’re forced to auto correct it. If you want it to be a safe jump make sure it’s not against Ryu/Ken/Akuma, they’ll still have to input it the other way, mind. It does lose to well timed reversals such as Lariat, so keep that in mind.
Oh, and have fun against Law using this technique. :stuck_out_tongue:
To expand on that, I haven’t tested it fully, but armor moves could REALLY suffer, as they’ll absorb the attack, their attack will still come out, as you’ve activated the armor, but it won’t hit.
Granted, only a small percent of the cast can perform this technique, but it could be very powerful in the right hands. As it adds a whole other level of ambiguity to your mix up. Note, it’s easily avoidable, just hold forward if you believe it will happen. Not back! Lol at myself, I though Bryan didn’t have a cross up attack. He can perform this technique also.

I’ve left some videos underneath to demonstrate how it works. The criteria to execute it is this:

As far as I know, you have to be in the corner. You need to land a throw, dash (very this for each characters wake up). use a cross up attack as they’re waking up (you’ll see that their body will turn the other way), and from there, treat it like you’ve landed a jump in combo.

[media=youtube]rI_ePtO6LfE[/media]

[media=youtube]-jmisI38AqA[/media]

[media=youtube]wEZS4_nqZfU[/media]

And one final thing, I was the person who was blocking! And you can see that I’m holding back, yet I still get hit.

I’ve had this happen to me too many times…I really hate when I’m being “crossed-up” in the corner.

I saw your last video showing how after a throw, you couldn’t block the shoto j.HP, but from a normal standing position you could. I thought the difference was obvious (the knockdown), but I wanted to mess with this myself before I replied, and unfortunately, I haven’t been home in about a week.

Since you’ve started to experiment more with this, let me just list my hypotheses/guesses, and maybe it will help you figure this out a bit better. Like you, I also noticed in the original video you posted that the dummy is apparently getting up from the knockdown facing the wrong way, and this is probably not a coincidence. However, I think you’re looking to narrow into setups. This should not be throw specific, but rather specific to the type of knockdown these throw are generating.

There are 4 types of knockdowns in the SFxT engine (carried over from SF4): face up head towards, face up head away, face down head towards, and face down head away. If you look at the example videos you posted, each of them causes a face up head towards knockdown. Rather than look through everyone’s throw, I would look at their common knockdown situations for knockdowns that naturally cause this specific type of knockdown.

I’ve never really looked at which knockdown types are the most common, but it seems logical that face up head away will be by the far the most common type. It’s even possible that only throws and hit-throw type moves are capable of causing a face up head towards knock down. Another avenue I would investigate with this if crossing up a face up head away knockdown before wakeup (effectively turning it into face up head towards), then crossing them up again is the same result, but this might not even be possible due to the time this takes.

Here’s probably my biggest question: does it require the corner, or is the corner just simplifying things? Because if the corner isn’t required, then crossing up a face up head away knockdown to get the back-turned wake up could become more feasible.

To me, it was obvious. I just added to prove that is wasn’t the CPU blocking.
To be honest, I was never truly aware that there’s was so many different types of wake up positions. I mean, I knew what a hard knockdown was and a technical recovery was, but I didn’t know there was specific face position wake ups.

So, I was trying to discover whether this can be set up without throws, I don’t believe it can be done outside of the corner, as some of these cross ups listed above, to me, seem impossible to cross up with outside of the corner. Think Shoto J.Hk.

Ryu Attempts:

All EX attacks plus dash: Setup was unsuccessful.

Tatsumaki/Shoryuken plus dash: Setup was unsuccessful.

Super: Too much recovery to input dash plus cross up.

Second character launcher into Ryu plus dash and cross up: Setup was unsuccessful.

New Find

I’ve only tested this with Ryu/Ken, but it seems you don’t have to dash after the throw. walking towards them and jumping with a cross up is enough to activate this effect.

[media=youtube]pm3Kv6D3CGU[/media]

As of right now, I don’t believe these can be set up without a throw. Who knows, that might change with time.

Ah, come on! Stop giving them ideas, jeez. It’s not like we’re perverts or anything…

Sweet stuff. The timing window seems relatively big, eh? I’m not 100% sure yet, but I might have mistakenly done both the Reverse-blockable AND an auto-correct jump-in (on roll) at the same time during my experimentation (with Nina). Can’t replicate it right now, but if it really works…

That would be AMAZING if you managed to figure out how to do that consistently, time to hit the lab!

Nope, sorry. I think I’m sadly mistaken. If I delay it long enough, the jump does auto-correct, however it’s too late. Holding forward no longer blocks, you just walk under (though it’s still reverse if they block normally). I’ll try some tighter timings, but don’t get your hopes up.

Ah, that’s disappointing to hear. I guess the auto-correct specials will have to do.-

Stay strong :nunchuck:

Not that it matters or anything but JWong genuinely thinks sfxt is the best fighter of this generation. I wonder if he will continue to play after SF25th?

OMG STOP BRINGING UP OTHER FG PLAYERS AS IF THEIR OPINIONS ARE FACT! ITS NOT GONNA SAVE THIS GAME! LEARN WHEN TO QUIT!!!

LOL @ caps lock! :rofl:

I do it for teh lulz! and idk if people remember that glitch desk found when you can tag your partner in during command grab and throw animations, but I was trying to see if I could try my hand at discovering some tech with Nina’s command grab, but nothing is coming to me :frowning: .

I tried to do it with Nina, myself. I didn’t garner much success though.

Can you explain, in simple terms, what you’re trying to do? Are you guys talking about the magic crossups where it looks like it’s hitting in front but you have to block as a crossup?

That’s precisely what we’re talking about, except it’s a guaranteed cross up with the characters mentioned. If you want to test it out on yourself, set your opposition as Nina, as you’ll be recording it. Pick the Shotos, as they’re the easiest to land it on, in my opinion.

From there, go to the corner as Nina, do a forward throw, as they’re waking up, dash, jump and then use your cross up attack. Try to block it afterwards and you’ll see what happens.

Hmmm… I don’t know if it’s the same thing RagingRay has been Raging about but when I knock someone down with Nina (mid-screen or corner) my cross ups may:

1. Cross up and land behind,
  2. Cross up and stay in front or
  3. Hit front and stay in front
    depending on angle of approach and when the :mp: is pressed. I thought a lot of the Tekken characters exhibited this “phenomenon”.

Edit: It’s a lot less ambiguous in the corner since it’s a lot harder to get number 1 to happen.

Yeah her cross up is stupid ambiguous at midscreen. EVERYTIME I block it midscreen it’s luck. No joke, if I block it just consider it me getting lucky and avoiding 50% health loss. I wish my characters had some stupid ambiguous cross ups (well Lili has Dive kicks) but seriously I don’t abuse them as much as I should.