SFV Lounge: Revealed DEEZ NUTZ! They don't reveal $H1T. Momochi plz wakeup super

I like A Groove combos. :eyes::eyes:

And block strings which lead into death.

Stupid question. But every time I see it everyone is dropping shit left and right? If it’s just counter hits everywhere, would completing a combo be easy?

Is there a reason for that?

Doubt we’ll get anything resembling GG if they boot the GG guy off of the battle design team, idk if he still works there.

1 Like

Woshige? Was he on the team in 4?

BB:CT Rachel

That was my experience with blockstring>death.

Don’t believe so, no. He came in for V.

But 4 had a shit GG mechanic too. What about SF3 lol?

It was a train of thought TDP was on. SFV being less like Street Fighter.

And you’re talking about playing around defensive options while not being able to play around your opponent occasionally having an additional offensive cancel. How’s VTC different from FADC in that? Could you deny your opponent FADCs by playing around them?

SF3 has some wild shit, but the game was built around it (eventually).

The stuff in 4 and 5 feel more tacked on.

It’s street fighter but you can also (insert mechanic here).

To be fair FADC frames where not as universally useful due to the dash needed.

In exchange though, you got to FADC a lot more often.

I still don’t like either.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m missing the point but why is he using FADC as an example of VTC being ok. People hated that shit too.

Are we using shit design to justify shit design now?

1 Like

20190322_160438

You already know what’s going to happen in SF6.

1 Like

FADCs didn’t make big gap closers free of charge, the worst I can think of for FADC is just DP > FADC, or fireball > FADC maybe? You rarely saw FADCs used to extend block pressure, it’s not what they were good for. Wasting two meters for minor block advantage in IV when that denied you an FADC later if you got a hit for your ultra, or needed to threaten a wake-up DP was horrible.

And yeah, in the case of what FADC was primarily used for, you could just bait DPs, play around their normal ranges and whiff punish when they get greedy looking for an in.

I remember Sak had EX.DP > FADC. You could meaty jab > block OS, she’d be +2 or +3 after the FADC into forward dash. You eat it and they get +2 but I can reliably negate her getting anything other than wasting 3 bars for a pretty tame block advantage scenario.

EDIT**
Should probably echo what Vho said, I’m not saying FADCs were good. Justifying something bad with something that was also pretty ill conceived is a terrible argument.

6 Likes

My point is exactly that hating this shit isn’t new, and if it ruins Street Fighter for people then it’s been ruining it since long before V came around.

I think “ruin” is a bit strong.

I think it’s unecessary. I think SFV would (mostly) be improved if you just took out the V trigger mechanic. And that kinda says something.

1 Like

Ok and? We can’t hate more than one thing? Nobody is complaining about FADC because we are playing Street Fighter Fucking 5.

You sound dumb as fuck.

Fair points, but IV had plenty of cheap ass gap closers in the movesets already, so less of a consideration to tie them to cancel system in the first place.

I might make the argument that some stuff like that (which is usually metered) is fine as it takes a resource so you give up future offense. In SF4 case, a problem was that FADC was almost universally better than Super, and usually better than EX which made them a little “meh”.

In SFV, it’s a revenge mechanic, so it’s basically gaurenteed, and You really give up nothing to do it.

Because there’s not much of a trade off, it’s more something that “just happens” than a real interaction.

To use an old school example. SF2, O Ken light DP… you should kinda just do it any time possible.

1 Like

It had some, but not all. I’d say almost everyone in V gets access to a free in once VTC comes up, or they have a bar. Like when you play an Adon or a Makoto in IV, you know you’re about to go through literal hell playing around their axe kicks, Mak’s dash and Adon’s st.hk. But these are character shells, not game shells.

Makoto and Adon are designed like that - they’re like Vs overall design in a character. And I’m alright with a small selection of characters being that way, it lets the roster feel varied. Like every game has a character you’re gonna look at and say fucking hell, they’re braindead. Why can they just do X/Y. That’s V almost in it’s entirety lmao.

Not defending IV, but the game did feel more varied. You needed a DP to be good by the end of it’s lifespan though, and that sucked. Like, if as you say - IV DID have a lot of free gap closers, I’ll trade every single one of those to get myself one of Vs dashes. 16f, travel far as fuck.

1 Like

Slightly off topic. But I hope SF6 has different level of EX moves like mini supers. Assuming 4 bars.

1 bar EX move
2 bar EX move
3 bar super
4 bar super

2 Likes