SFV Lounge: Revealed DEEZ NUTZ! They don't reveal $H1T. Momochi plz wakeup super

Damn. They got us out here as QA Testers for free.

4 Likes

All the frames still happen. This is why meaties have better frame data.

1 Like

The other two active frames are still there. They can still hit another entity, such as ibukis kunai if it touches the hitbox.

So your move effectively has 12 frames recovery… Unless you get a meaty hit, meaning, not the first active frame.

1 Like

Yeah slide is OP against her it’s EZ mode whiff punishes for several of her tools.

No raw fireballs
No s.hk whiffs
No f.hp whiffs
No elbow whiffs

Don’t be afraid to use your buttons against him though. He has the walkspeed and range to dictate the flow of neutral but her buttons have much better priority (hitbox:hurtbox ratio) and cancel options. She also has her s.hp, which is a safe mid hitting CC only 1 or 2 frames slower than his main pokes (6-8 frames).

1 Like

Yeah the question was a bit dumb in hindsight. I guess I wanted to know of there was a difference in number of frames on block vs whiff. Don’t know why I worded it so weirdly.

Does that game have the 90s “go go power rangers” song?

@Vhozite better to ask and be taught, than live in ignorance

Nope. Wish it did.

Not quite. They animate but don’t hit additional times. Basically the game puts the opponent into block stun or hit stun starting during whichever frame of a move the thing it. The + or - comes depending on the amount of each the move does. If it does enough to make you recover before your opponent, its + if it does less than that, it’s -. Meaties work because it doesn’t matter which frame a move hits, the stun values are the same. So if a movie has 3 frames active and would leave you at +9 if it hit on the same frame, if it hit on the second its 9 + 1 less frame of recovery being covered (which gives you ten, and then 11 respectively).

Old Frame data will give you the total number of frames a move takes to execute. So the way to look at your frame data is technically:

4 frames before the hitbox becomes active (In the US they count the first active frame as part of the start up, japan doesn’t, problem is that in order for the math on how long a move is to square out properly, you have to subtract the one frame that overlaps in active frames and start up).
3 frames where the move can cause either block stun/ hit stun
10 frames aftter the last active frame to finish animating.

So all together the move starts and finishes animating in 17 frames. You can read frame data and add stuff up and more or less figure out what you could realistically whiff punish if it’s long enough to make to a character’s core. Let’s take Old zeku for example I’ll do the american frame data for ease and we’ll just subtract that one frame:

9 frame start up
2 frames active
30 recovery
-1 frame overalp

So that move is animating for 40 freaking frames. Everytime I hit that button, man’s is out there just trying to get his old stiff back put in place before he goes back to neutral. So if you see that button whiff, just super that ish. For contrast lets look at Akuma’s fireball:

14 frame start up
45 frames active
34 recovery

so the move is animating altogether for 37 frames. You tell me why old Zeku has a damn normal that takes longer to go through its entire damn animation than a fireball. Then the thing is -5 on block if you don’t stance switch and -2 on hit. This is how Capcom has blessed the world with good normals in SF5: they take longer to finish than throwing a fireball.

So in conclusion, just throw a fireball, its safer than hitting old Zeku’s standing fierce.

Still gonna mash that button though. :japanese_goblin:

3 Likes

Not got time to read the thread from where I left off , but I think the real deal with footsies and cheapness lies in how safe the cheap is.

For example you can see the Japanese favour ( rightly imo) strong fundementals with lower risks vs powerfull cheap. Where as it’s common in America and Europe to favour cheap stronger than it probably is.

If you look at a Japanese list they will have characters like G, Blanka and Cody near the bottom, where as western countries will put those characters much higher up.

The most successful American players are probably Punk, Wong and Du, who all use fundemental based characters with safer offense.

Basically the key is finding a good fundemental character that doesn’t take much risks to run their cheap stuff - Rashid, Ibuki, Akuma.

I think the reason is something Ive always believed - if you play a gamble character ( blanka, G, Abi etc) you still have to take risks that are bigger than a non gamble character ( Karin, Guile, Menat).

I think the Japanese play SF like poker almost. Too many risks and they won’t bet.

7 Likes

Thanks Pertho

Is s.hp the button that gives you a year to confirm into Target Combo or is that only in Young stance?

That’s YeeZy’s button. Ozzy’s button cancels into either stance switch to be at +1, HK koku to be at -2, or gets jumped over so you can say hello to darkness your old friend.:cry:

2 Likes

Sometimes there is a difference between total frames on whiff vs on block. It’s rare though, barring bugs. Smash 4 had a bug where there was high hitstop when a strong attack hit a shield, but the devs forgot to apply it to the defender, making blocked attacks have more total frames than when it whiffed.

They fixed it in the patch after Ryu’s release, possibly because it was more obvious on him than most.

Zoomed out view of the grass stage:

6 Likes

Where IS Daemos? His belief in Final Round reveal made him be hospitalized or something?

You see someone interact with this board so long, and then after you don’t see them for a while you start thinking the worst. The last time someone disappeared like that was Detective Yusuke, and then we found out he had died.

2 Likes

Fuck man, why you gotta bring that up? Yusuke was a cool dude.

Same with Shatta.

sigh.

Hope Daemos is good. I understand we all have lives outside of SRK, but not seeing him for this long does feel strange.

13 Likes

I remember when Estarix and you used to downplay Yeezy s.HP. Good times.

Yeah safe cheap is important. You don’t wanna do risky cheap, but you can’t do fair safe. It has to be CHEAP safe. It just has that key word which is cheap.

Punk Wong and Du all use cheap safe characters. They’re safe, but they have safe stuff that cheaply rewards them better than other characters that can do safe stuff. Menat and Guile’s safe is cheaper than Falke’s and Sagat’s. Du used to use Mika for a while too, although you can play Mika safely cheap to a degree like Fuudo especially does.

Interesting that you bring up the characters like Blanka, G and Abi. I feel G especially is interesting because he has brought Gustavo back into real tournament relevancy again. Is G a typical “gimmicky” character that the Japanese don’t value very heavily? Sure, but G is a Gustavo character. He likes fundamentals, but he needs a command grab.

Season 1 Gustavo = Tried Laura, but went to Mika because she was better.

Season 2 = Was finally a threat again with OD Laura

Season 3 = Pretty much didn’t see him but I believe was messing with Mika still until G hit and basically has labbed the hell out of G until S4.

Season 4 = G almost got him top 8 and we’ll see where else it goes.

He could go to a safer cheap character, but there are really no safer cheap characters that fit his style. Gief is too OG slow wall grappler and Mika’s buttons just aren’t long enough. G finally gives him that Abel still big footsie grabber he’s been looking for since he’s a grabber that relies heavily on footsies.

Although it’s not an IDEAL choice to play G solo in tournaments, it does give Gustavo the best way for him to play safely cheap minus the president/trigger/no defensive options gimmick he’s based around. Smug has it down well with Boxer as back up. If he’s in a matchup where G will get mauled, can throw out Boxer who’s defensive options are a bit better. Then if Boxer has to fight some command grab character he doesn’t like too much, odds are G will at least be able to play the zone better. G and Boxer pretty much doom him vs Bison, but what can you do.

1 Like

Fun Fact: If you PM a person, they get sent an e-mail about it unless they’ve changed settings.

So if you’re worried about somebody, send him a PM and blow up his e-mail in a nice and kind way.

1 Like

Is the SEEN status in profile represent the time he last view and interact the site?

He was 48 min ago pass.

2 Likes