SFV Lounge: Revealed DEEZ NUTZ! They don't reveal $H1T. Momochi plz wakeup super

Some cool chars showing up in that trailer. At least ones I hadn’t seen as confirmed for the game yet. Game is looking good. Hope they pay NRS for netcode. :wink:

2 Likes

Netcode’s gonna be meh and it won’t matter because like most SNK games, the playerbase will disappear outside of Discord requests after 2 months. Especially with a game that will have split bases between 4 different platforms RIP.

1 Like

And there’s this…

10 Likes

Definitely gonna give Samsho a go. I need my fix for slow, buttonsy 2D games.

1 Like

Hopefully the release date in conjunction with Evo will get people pretty hype about SamSho. June release date will leave people with just a bit over a month to grind it out before Evo.

2 Likes

If the net play sucks SamSho might actually light a fire under my ass to actually go to my locals occasionally.

Samurai Showdown looks really nice. Definitely going to buy this to support SNK a bit but I doubt there’ll be more than five players online in Europe for this.

Also with all the filters, the lighting and effects they put on the screen you barely notice that their models don’t look significantly better then those in KOF XIV. Pretty cool solution to make an appealing game with the limited budgets they’re operating on.

2 Likes

This game pretty much looks like what Capcom likely wanted SFIV to look like in game. Like the SFIV CGIs with the paintbrush deal and shit.

Capcom said they toned down the paintbrush stuff for visual coherency reasons, but SNK went all out with Samurai Shodown and got lots of blood and hit sparks. I like visually loud games (KI/Marvel) so it’s definitely working for me.

1 Like

Also shoutouts to stage select being presented as Hanafuda cards, that’s a nice touch.

3 Likes

Still don’t get how its 2019 and FGs don’t have a standard of minimum netcode. Only the 2-3 American FG devs seem to get it

That’s because American devs are the only ones that really need to care.

You don’t hear Asians complaining about SFV’s netcode as much because their pings are so short that they won’t feel the thresholds as much minus some cross platform incoherencies. Plus just got an arcade cab so definitely RIP giving a shit unless Capgods decide to actually give the Western playerbases a bone with the netcode.

I imagine KOF 14 is pretty playable online in Japan or Korea. Japan is smaller than California so that means the highest pings would likely be under 80 to 100 ms at most unless they make you go reaching for a Chinese or Australian opponent.

It’s only this generation though. SFIV was fine online if you picked green bars. SCV was godlike online, I think I had about five laggy matches in that game in over 300 hours.

Or maybe it’s just that Xbox Live was better than Playstation Network. No idea. The only thing I know is that playing SFIV and SCV online was fun and playing SFV and SCVI online isn’t.

2 Likes

XBL is generally more stable than PSN but this usually doesn’t affect an individual games online performance.

Another part of the problem is that fighting games are all P2P and are hyper sensitive. Most shooting games, by comparison, now use dedicated servers. In addition those games can take a lot more “slop” before it begins to bother people.

Personally, I think fighting game netcode is substantially improved over what we had even 5 years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah everything is at least better than old NRS code. Every match felt like it had 11 frames of delay.

Shout outs to old SNK fighters and Guilty Gear XX OG Xbox netcode. That shit sucked ass especially considering the execution and just frame requirements of that game. Playing somebody an hour away in GGXX Xbox was still garbage. At least 3S SFAC didn’t become garbage until I hit Arizona/California. Sometimes Florida was rough too.

It still baffles me that psn/xbl even come into it outside of maybe the initial matchmaking.

Then it probably has to do with more people being on wifi these days. I mean there has to be an explanation somewhere on why everything feels worse despite the technology getting better.

1 Like

My point of comparison.

Back in the early 360 days. BB had some of the best netcode around. Compare that to the average game today and you can see the improvements.

NRS was the big anomaly, and they stepped up their game big time.

I don’t know if the NRS devs read here, but I have a bunch of respect for them going back and rebuilding their netcode to make it one of the best. MKX was basically over and they went in and retroactive rebuilt it.

2 Likes

So, WiFi isn’t the best, but I think people oversell this.

As I’ve said before, with online, typically all the different diseases have the same symptoms. People tend to blame everything in WiFi wether or not it’s the problem.

If WiFi perfect, no. But is it bad? Also no. Most of the time, when there are no issues, you would never know someone is on WiFi.

There’s a Diamond Akuma player on CFN named ImonWifi. Uses Akuma. You know a game is popular online by how many troll ass account names you run into.

Oh and also shout outs to the animation in Samsho being MUCH MUCH better than KOF14’s. KOF 14’s animation is super choppy in full 60 frames. Like it visually only looks a bit of a step up from NRS shit because the animations are so sped up. Samsho’s animations are definitely done much better at 60 frames and the fact that the game is a bit slower also gives more time to appreciate the animations.

Definitely looks way less jerky in motion than 14. Despite being on old ass hardware the KOF games were known for their animations so hopefully KOF15 steps it up nice.

3 Likes

I don’t know man, DOA6 lets you choose between wifi and wired and even the best wifi connections tend to have hiccups. On the other hand even 3 bar wired connections can run fine.

2 Likes