SFV Lounge: Lupe please comeback! DevilJin moving to Mortal Kombat 11

lolwat, that’s an MMO.

But you can duel each other 1v1 style. So since I can force that game into 1v1 combat, regardless of what i was designed for, given that Smash is going to be categorized as a fighting game and you said that if you can play it 1v1 then its one,

Then World of Warcraft is a fighting game.

You can duel each other in Runescape, it’s an MMO/Adventure. Class systems, quests, level ups, weapon/equipment for levels, guilds, dungeons, bosses, etcetc.

You just make yourself look like an idiot at this point.

1 Like

Btw what’s WWE? More than 1v1.

Recovery of St.hp from 16F to 22F. Active frames from 9F to 6F. On block and hit still the same frame advantage wise.

VT1 from 2 bars to 3 bars.

She’s way more in line now.

1 Like

Senko no Ronde is more of a fighter than Smash.

4 Likes

Armored Core.

3 Likes

You obviously don’t understand the logic of your argument. Runescape would turn into a fighting game by your definition.

Because you guys don’t actually care about fighting games, you aren’t thinking of things that are fighting games that actually stretched how the genre was played. So you don’t really care about games like Destrega, Ergheiz, Virtual On or Bushido Blade. Those are the games that redefined 1v1 combat and made us look at fighting games in a different way.

Seeing as a good chunk of OGs played a bunch of those, we’re well acquainted with the different shapes a fighting game can take. But the problem with smash is that it jumps into multiplayer combat. Once you start moving on from 1v1, your characters are designed differently and the combat is different. A lot of things change once you add extra players. Hence multiplayer games don’t really get messed around with because that moves things away from what fighting games are inherently about: 1v1 combat.

The question isn’t what is WWE. Its a wrestling game. Some of them bite on fighting gamey mechanics but very few are designed to be one. But the real issue isn’t what is WWE, its why is it that we don’t put a lot of the boxing games in the Fighting Game category given their 1v1 nature. Ready to Rumble made it, Fight Night got played by a bunch of fighting game heads here on SRK but didn’t take off. UFC tried to make it but didn’t catch on. So sport simulators get categorized somewhere else but that’s a different bag of chips.

Either way Given the conditions you gave, then a lot of other games not only are fighting games, but have to be in order for smash to be one too.

ignores every mechanic mentioned that creates a game within the MMO genre, doubles down on being a retard

solid.

by the way, what’s WWE? Because if it’s a wrestling game all of those wrestler character within your traditional fighting games must have gotten lost :frowning: you can pretty easily bend your definition of a fighting game out of shape too.

For Honor is a fighting game, it comes with duels(1v1 fighting game esque), domination(4v4 - moba esque) and duos(2v2 - tag esque I guess?)

So by your definition, this game isn’t a fighting game. Even though it borrows from FGs, MOBAs, and co-op adventure. But nah, it isn’t strictly 1v1 thus isn’t a fighting game - this genre above all others is sacred for some specific reason. It has nothing to do with you being some kinda elitist toward your favourite franchises.

That definitely is a fighting game. One I’ve always wanted to play but that also freaks me the fuck out.

By extension that means that if you could turn the practice mode in DOTA2, which allows for a single lane which potentially could be 1v1, then you could turn that into a fighitng game. Given that Destrega moves around in a similar top down view, Diablo 2 tournaments could be arranged at Evo by doing PvP.

You could turn SF4 into a pseudo sports game by doing Rose mirrors (Rose Ball HYPE) but we aren’t trying to clasify it as a potential tennis/volleyball game.

2 Likes

No, you aren’t addressign the actual argument nor the logic you presented.

See how that is part of the argument you, and the smash community by extension, is using, then being able to play the game 1v1 starts to make things a fighting game. Literally quoting your post.

For Honor is a fighting game, it comes with duels(1v1 fighting game esque), domination(4v4 - moba esque) and duos(2v2 - tag esque I guess?)

So by your definition, this game isn’t a fighting game. Even though it borrows from FGs, MOBAs, and co-op adventure. But nah, it isn’t strictly 1v1 thus isn’t a fighting game - this genre above all others is sacred for some specific reason. It has nothing to do with you being some kinda elitist toward your favourite franchises.

Repost this just so you see it.

No, we just don’t care to fret over meaningless genre labels because we don’t like a game or its players.

Sure let Wow, Runescape, and whatever else be called fighting games. Nobody fucking cares.

Let Pertho defend his last bastion of FGC “purity”.

1 Like

By the way DefJam had a 4player brawl mode and I’ve seen you call it a fighting game before. It’s pretty easy to make your definition fall apart simply on the basis of 1v1 being the only thing that makes an FG.

Unless DefJam is suddenly not a fighting game now.

2 Likes

What?
Nah?

In that case most the vs games aren’t fighters especially mvc1 and infinite as you can have multiple characters fighting at once. And before you say that’s just a feature not the default way to fight neither is multiple players on smash. When I load up the game it’s not me vs 3 other people until I add other players.

A fighter is a fighter if… You fight another CPU or have the option to fight a human

There is some visable way to determine health or stamina

Only one player is the winner at the end of a match.

Everything else is flexible

That’s like grading your own test though.

I see you’re an ass to be an ass again.

Who would have thought.
kg602_00

Just had seen some Smash discussion some time ago and saw the term multiple times.
Neither know nor care if it’s the correct Subgenre.
Literally wrote a thought down and you just jumped on it.

??? Cipher I was agreeing with you lmao

Also imo fighters are sub genres of beatem ups

I’m just trying to think of the mechanics of Smash and how it can’t be a fighting game

Walking, running, and jumping on a 2D plane. Normal and special moves to fight opponents with, between physical and projectile attacks, along with grabs. Blocking and block advantage, with just defends/parries on top of that. Using movement to bait out attacks and whiff punish. Short hops and rolling for added movement options like KOF. Hell all of the hitbox interactions act like they do in any traditional 2D fighting game.

It has literally all of the basics of a fighting game, but with unique off-stage interactions and KOs by ring out. But because you can turn items on and have more than 2 players it suddenly can’t be a fighting game?

I mean if people want to die on that hill then whatever but it just seems silly to me

2 Likes