SFV Lounge: Lupe please comeback! DevilJin moving to Mortal Kombat 11

Has there ever been an interview with Capcom on how they decided to change it up from Alpha 2 to Alpha 3? Just curious how they decided to make such a huge overhaul as opposed to just refining A2 and adding more characters.

With S4 and future seasons, I wonder if Capcom would ever do something that big ever again.

1 Like

Even though you can turn them off, the thing I don’t like about the ads is that it gives advertisers a foothold to make changes that suit them. For example, Cammy and Mika’s default costumes not being allowed during EVO Top 8 because of ESPN.

I heard that if you pick Cammy and Mika’s ad costumes it doesn’t use their default costume. Cammy looked that way for 20 years, but now she has to cover her sin with Mountain Dew and Papa Johns ads.

6 Likes

Hi guys, I don’t want to bombard you with this crap, but I made a second podkast and had a lot more stuff to talk about that just an introduction, but holy shit it ran longer than I thought (just over an hour).

I’ll post it here but this will be my last time doing so. I’ll post the iTunes link below so you can subscribe if you want, or follow me on Twitter (@PlusFrames_).

If you’re interested, please have a listen while you work or drive or something when you can and let me know if I did any better. I thought I sounded a lot more enthusiastic as I was recording it, but it didn’t translate that well to the actually recording. Oh well.

Episode Link:

iTunes (Apple Podcast) Link:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/a-mortal-kombat-podkast/id1446224884

4 Likes

There is a pack up here of like 7 Chun costumes for 15 bucks. I’m tempted.

These bundles are really good value though. They even have some of the Extra Battle costumes.

My PS4 account is super barebones, so I’ll probably drop like $60 on these bundles.

1 Like

Capcom wouldn’t have gone through all this effort just to promote the Capcom Pro Tour. Implementing a Fight Money reward system, implementing opt-out options, implementing “ad costumes” for every character…

If Capcom was just planning to advertise Capcom’s own content, then they wouldn’t have had any reason to switch Cammy and Mika to their Story outfits for ad bases.

If Capcom wanted to promote Capcom Cup or the Pro Tour, they could have just made a new free stage. It would have cost them less to implement.

Further, encouraging people to use ad costumes actively conflicts with Capcom using ads to try to sell DLC outfits. After all, encouraging people to use the ad costumes discourages them from having a reason to buy DLC outfits.

1 Like

I think if anyone of us said during SF4 times that SF5 will have loot boxes and ingame adds then that person would had been the laughing stock of the forum.

Yet, here we are.

6 Likes

Lootboxes are largely for inconsequential stuff and so is much of the DLC.

The ads are a different issue altogether. This isn’t the first video game with ads but it is the first major fighting game to put them in such a way.

Trash TBH.

4 Likes

Let’s make some noise. Papa will listen.

I don’t have the will to turn on the PS4, ads don’t help.

So is Capcom struggling that bad or just greedy?

Not struggling, stocks are up

Damn, just listened to my whole hour long podcast. I am terrible at this, lol! I may just stop. It’s way too long for me to talk by myself and to hold attention… I’m not a great speaker to begin with so it’s really an uphill battle to even make something decent.

I would do a better job if I followed a script, which I may do… if I wrote t myself it won’t sound like it’s being read and will be quicker and more to the point… Shit’s hard to listen to in its current form.

I write rough draft scripts whenever I do commentary on things

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do. I’m also going to do my episodes in smaller chunks. Instead of doing one hourlong show where I talk about two things, I’ll just make two shorter episodes. It will be easier on me as well.

I was toying with the idea of making a vid about the ad stuff, making some more commentary based things. But my mic has this weird buzz noise goin on

As Jim Sterling has repeatedly said over the years, publishers don’t just want money, they want all of the money. Getting anything less than what they believe they can get, leaving any money on the table, is viewed as losing money. Not continuing to make even greater amounts of money is viewed as losing money.

So, yeah, it is greed. Of course if SFV doesn’t make enough money for Capcom, Capcom is probably quite willing to abandon the whole fighting game market again for perceived greener pastures. In that regard, Ono and the SFV dev team could be under pressure to continually show Capcom that they can meet inflated profit expectations and make even greater amounts of money.

3 Likes

Wait, what if you disable ads but your opponent has them enabled?

they’re disabled

3 Likes

The fact we are talking about disabling ads on a game … World’s fucked.

Glad I grew up in the glory days.

Suck my nuts cipher.

15 Likes

Let alone a full price game. So sad. I paid for every season and the base game, and I supported CPT with money as well as purchased all the relevant costumes. Yet I can’t shake this feeling of being betrayed by these ads. Why Capcom? :cry:

3 Likes