SFV Lounge: Lupe please comeback! DevilJin moving to Mortal Kombat 11

The first game DLC was literally Horse Armor for Oblivion on 360. You had to pay like 4 dollars for it.

DLC has been shit from the jump off.

No it wasn’t.

1 Like

First one I can remember was Trials of the Luremaster for the Heart of Winter expansion to Icewind Dale, after people generally groused that HoW was too short.

Luremaster was free though, unlike horse armor.

On the 360 Market Place that was the Marquee thing pushed for it as far as the new wave of DLC was concerned. Hell I remember the threads on SRK about it.

People still harp on it so much so its on the wiki. That basically set the tone for the new era of digital content. So yeah, it may not have been the first. But it was the important one for a triple AAA title.

We’re still in horse armor land.

Not even the Wiki article lumps expansions for PC games with console style DLC. C’mon now, you smarter than that.

Expansion packs were basically predated DLC too, if anyone remembers the Sonic & Knuckles expansion stuff. DLC been around ages.

Horse armour wasn’t the first DLC, it was the first DLC that sparked massive controversy. I’m just saying you used the word literally wrong init.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s only looking back today that we draw that distinction though.

Back then, it was pretty much the very first time there was content you had to download, especially for a game you had to purchase a physical copy of first.

Hyperbolic statement but it was what Microsoft used as their representation of the marketplace.

Expansion packs aren’t really DLCish in the way most modern games are. You were usually getting a hell of a lot more gameplay than some cosmetic nonsense. Borderlands 2 had a really good balance between both: You had full on side missions that were 8 hours long with a bunch of stuff and other silly shit you could buy.

Hasn’t stopped modern DLC practice from being Horse Armor Double Plus Good.

1 Like

Bethesda staff were asked to make some kinda DLC and they were all clueless, they had an interview where they talked about it a little bit. They had no idea what to do with the DLC and came up with horse armour. It was supposed to be free as well but the Xbox marketplace forced additional content to cost a minimum as it took Microsoft money to maintain it’s place on the network.

Then Kot9 and Shivering Isles came out and all was forgiven. DLC practice is still fairly the same, season passes are what cause huge problems for most - as content is planned ahead of launch. So you can make an argument that in the 90s/early 2000s that if a dev didn’t have that choice, it would be forced into the game or just left out entirely. So we get sold less of a product due to flexibility of adding additional content post-release. I don’t mind either way, I do understand that creating video games isn’t easily profitable so sometimes additional content is a needed cashflow. Just don’t be scummy with it.

The Hurricane Packs for Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox were great. Except those annoying fuggin’ cat demons.

1 Like

Well that blew up.

Woke up to like 100 notifications this morning

I guess if Capcom wanted people talking about SFV again…it worked.

6 Likes

trips on Wills ePeen

3 Likes

Wait, is that real?

It can’t be that bad.

Die one thousand pro tours…

3 Likes

I’d rather die a martyr for Capcom then ever touch an NRS game ever again.

DOWN WITH BOON DOWN WITH MK DOWN WITH INJUSTASS!!!

3 Likes

DLCs ain’t bad per se, not even season passes (think of the witcher 3), what I can’t stand is having shit locked behind a preorder

1 Like

I really hope that this will be disabled in tournament play.
Pretty sure that it won’t.

3 Likes

It might be or not.

You see these ads are probably meant to get people to tune in and watch/support the CPT. The real money is going to be made from the sponsors of the CPT and ad rights for the events themselves.

I don’t think Capcom are going to suddenly have McDonald’s ads ingame outside of tournaments.

But the players have sponsors in real life that are represented with product placements next to them on camera or their clothing. The natural extension of this is that their characters ingame will reflect the sponsors as well.

You wanted esports, there is the good and the bad.

No one is really gonna turn the ads on after a week any ways.

Another thing people overreacting over just because it relates to things in mobile games that you can’t opt out of other than using real money. Turn the adds off, keep losing to Akuma

2 Likes

Lots of Twitter FGC whining right now about having to wake up at 8AM to participate in competition, apparently?

1 Like

I know everyone here is a whale, but Capcom has a bunch of costume packs on the PSN store, and a few of them are on sale. Season 3 pass is also on sale.

Appears to last until the 26th.

There is also a stages bundle for $20. Appears to include everything but the CPT stages.