SFV Lounge: Cammy at the Falken bottom, Makoto is in final phases, Leo Alex is broken

@reticently

HAs a point too, birdie, Karin, Bison, and Rashid would all still be really oppressive even if you deleted VT from the game.

Though I would argue that Birdie, And Bison at least have extremely strong VT on top of everything.

Karin is weird, she’s almost explicitly balanced to not really rely on VT very much, and is basically the only character I can think of like that.

I make swearing sounds.

I can be very salty in the moment.

Well, you could say the same about FANG, only in a bad way.

2 Likes

We also had enigmas like Dhalsim VT being negated by VR.

I think the VTs of the S3 and S4 characters have been pretty good when you consider their power level. Blanka and Cody have perhaps the most unga of the lot. G’s is obviously quite good but feels balanced for how he performs pre-trigger.

I love hit sparks and love that the blood is similarly prominent and loud like the old games.

That SNK visual flare was mostly lost in KOF14 and good to see they’re attempting to bring it back in Samurai Shodown (with an artstyle that plays to Japanese drawings and calligraphy a little better). In old SNK games a lot of hits literally turned the screen full red or white. Cheap but strong visual flare.

I hated that KOF14’s hit stop, sound effects and hit sparks were all really weak. Not very many things feel impactful when they hit in that game. Which is weird considering despite being on old early 90’s hardware the KOF games usually hit the mark on those things and had very dramatic visual and sound effects.

I’ll definitely take the hit sparks being strong AF over weak AF like they were in KOF 14. It’s a better visual homage to the old games any way.

8 Likes

Again. BIG HITSPARKS GOOD. SFV has Queef size hitsparks and it makes me angry.

2 Likes

True. Luckily the sounds and hit stop are still pretty strong in SFV to make up. Even without big hit sparks stuff hits very convincingly for the most part in SFV. Crush counter is probably the one big obvious hit spark that stands out which I believe they did on purpose.

Man, classic SamSho clips are always hype as fuck.

3 Likes

Man, I can’t wait to play Samurai Shodown.

The last one I actually played was this on Neo-Geo Pocket:

So yeah. I’m wayyyyyyy overdue.

3 Likes

I’m always down for more walk around on the ground fighters. Walk around on the ground and VS team fighters just aren’t prominent enough compared to the amount of 1v1 air dash around games that have hit the market. That’s the only reason I’m even bothering with Neutral Kombat 11. Samurai and Neutral Kombat have helped add something to compete with SFV in those type of games for once.

UNIST is basically grounded anime, but still anime to me.

Which was kind of a product of the dark ages came around where the Japanese figured Guilty Gear ish games were seeing more popularity as anime was becoming more of an influence in fighters. Shit ton of free/cheap doujin based air dashers were out during the dark ages too. Which means if you weren’t playing 3S, CVS2 or Garou you didn’t have a lot to play in those types of games.

Ya you still have a lot of really big buttons and tools that change the ground from what you’re used to. It’s not like a grounded fighter, it still has anime attributes. But I think they do a good job at honing them in.

You aren’t really playing a distance waiting for a whiff and enabling your stuff, you want to get in and force your hand instead.

In S1 Karin VT was good compared to the others, her V-Skill is useful in neutral and as a combo ender even now. VT1 Rekkas conversions aren’t bad, I’m still salty about Karin inability to abuse them outside VT like in A3. Since Rog and Ibuki inclusion the meta has changed drastically.

In some ways Samurai Shodown is like a really early anime game that just doesn’t let you leave the ground much, but if you’re coming from a SF ish background it’s easy enough to just sit and play ground game and make it work in Samurai.

Big buttons and run being the big things that are animeish, but doesn’t go full anime and single hits being strong is a big part of that type walk around on the ground 2d fighting. Which especially old Samurai Shodown has plenty of high level matches where you mainly just throw one or 2 pokes around to create space or build damage. You don’t have to always convert stuff that hits in Samurai Shodown.

Unless they flip a ton of the mechanics upside down in the remake, should be easy enough for me to like playing.

I was referring to UNIST mind you, not SamSho.

I have no idea how SamSho plays out, I haven’t ever touched it.

1 Like

Oh well then everything you said is basically right. It’s the most grounded anime game along with Aquapazza and Koihime. Blade Strangers nicely plays to the ground despite having an air dash also.

The Hop definitly turns Uniest into an airdasher.
I’m so glad that I can block in the air so… wait a minute!

2 Likes

Single hits hitting good.

2 Likes

High level SamSho 2 tended to look like this.
This is what I am expecting from this new SamSho.

2 Likes

I’m planning on playing Ukyo, I like iaido and he got Arthur vibes

1 Like