SFV Lounge: Cammy at the Falken bottom, Makoto is in final phases, Leo Alex is broken

DOA casual scene will be bursting at the seems, Tekken getting more content, MK on the way, Soul Calibur still getting stuff, SF rumors, and fucking SamSho. Fighting games are at an unprecedented level right now.

1 Like

Is it? Viewership might be growing but is the player base?

Let a new fight or no update not come out for a year, you’ll see how much the FGC has “grown”

Yeah, it’s a Sat game.

Sunday’s Lineup:
SFV
Tekken 7
Smash Ultimate
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

4 Likes

Good riddance.

Even Moron Kombat would have been better on Sunday over DBFZ.

3 Likes

Cage trailer and what he had been now is awesome and cool.

Why you have to hate MK like this Miria ?

They just announced a new character.

1 Like

Remember when 90% of the fauna here was all wet about DBFZ? I 'member.

The new Johnny Cage looks sick, but it’s MK so is a big no-no for me.

1 Like

DBFZ is a great game with a lot of respect for the Dragon Ball series.

I consider it a success but it’s just not my style of game overall.

I would much prefer it to be a 1 v 1 fighter .

1 Like

Always hope for the best. Bad games hurt the community. I don’t think DBF is a good fighting game but it isn’t a legitimately bad game.

But I mean, there’s only so many times I can see MvC3 wolverine square dash at people to deal no damage.

It’s no different for MOBAs or the flavor of the month battle royale. Either you keep your playerbase interested with new content or they drop it for the next best thing.

Not fucking rocket science.

Massive departure from how this scene operated for a while. Think I’ve mentioned before that its questionable whether the new era of patches is actually a good one for the scene.

Old games have staying power from great gameplay on top of the depth of strategies figured out over the years to play them. It isn’t quite clear that you’re gonna get that from newer games. Not because they may not have that juice, but because the players may not be that dedicated.

2 Likes

except that not how the scene was build or how fighters have worked… and I don’t think that format works well long term for a genre that is about mastering characters and gameplay down to a nuance

1 Like

Tennis gets much bigger numbers, but they’re broadcast TV numbers so not an apples to oranges comparison.

The formula has been changed for awhile now. And new content for fighters doesn’t necessarily mean constant balance patches. It could be new characters, stages, costumes or music(like Tekken having ost from past games). Hell add a tag/team battle or some other shit.

Old cats may not like it, but you have to change with the times.

Whenever someone brings up special intros to make a comeback in SF, I always agree.

However, they should ditch the whole “on3 character at a time” intros and just show both of them in the same screen. Because even if said intro is the best thing ever everyone will just skip it because it takes too long, so make them last short like in SF3 and SFA where it was like just 5 seconds tops instead of taking 15 seconds for the whole thing.

1 Like

That’s not the issue being brought though. The idea that a game “died” becuase it doesn’t get an update is terrible. Not only that, said mentality kind of goes contrary to what this community has set out to do: keep games alive through active gameplay.

Which means that it aims for longevity at its core. As such injecting this thought process into the wider culture really undermines some of the core principles that kept it in motion.

So its not so obvious this is good.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s Inherently bad though, mis-application of hot-patches can fix lots of things, and make things better.

Like-wise, mis-application can cause as much or more damage that not fixing things (like ye-olde days).

Personally, I think the developers should embrace the ability to adjust the game more frequently, and as that continues, they will get better (hopefully) of not causing damage in the process. To use NRS as an example, their patch approach has matured greatly since MK9.

Agree wholeheartedly.

My gold standard for this is actually BlazBlue. It has tons of unique interactions and in-fight dialog. It also relates back to the plot. While the plot may be stupid, the fact that it’s all connected makes everything feel more cohesive.

2 Likes

I don’t think fighting games really ever “die” though. I can still find peeps to play MK9, UMvC3, SF3, SF2, CVS, etc.

I feel like evo stage or main tourney games do need that influx of content to keep the numbers to stay at the top though.

1 Like

Exactly, literally every fighter that has dropped in the last 3 year basically has people waiting on a patch, dlc, or characters.

In that process they either lose or gain a handful of players… but over all its hurts anyone that plays and puts time into something they like only for it to change 3 months later.

SF5 can’t even go 3 months without people flipping out because of characters. Ultimate isn’t close to being figured out and they are patching and releasing characters, NRS game literally have people quit them because they patch the game like every month changing characters.

DLC and patches shouldn’t be what keeps a player base interested, if it is you probably have a weak game… or you’ve set a standard that over all isn’t good for the longevity of the game and truthfully probably the genre.

Fighters are like shooters, or MOBA’s or MMO’s… constant updates and dlc isn’t really helpful and as soon as it stops so does the players.

Like I said If there is a drought in fighter updates and dlc we’ll see who really plays these games for the dlc and who plays because they like them.

a year or so of no content and you’d see all kind of dips in viewers and players, My point of my original post was that there needs to be a triple A SF or Vs title that drops that makes people go "I remember this ( kind of like how sf4 did 10 years ago…which is crazy to say) I love SF or marvel vs! And make people want to play the game and tech there kids and play with a group.

2 Likes