SFHD - Fei Long: Strategy only, ONLY POST STRATS, STRATS ONLY

:rofl: :rofl:

I know…it looks almost like I’m undefeatable. :karate:

Well…my number is more like my own winning ratio against those char - not a tier list. That’s why you see something like 7-3 for THawk, because I win 70% of the time :LOL: That’s why we call it “our own experience” but not naming it something else.

For Fei vs. Fei, I only lose to 30% of the people who’re playing Fei Long.

I see. :wink:

I’ll add explanations:

vs. Ryu 3 - 7 (zoning game is too good, people underestimate this)
vs. Ken 3 - 7 (not the same zoning game as ryu, but his DP and tatsu speed make up for it)
vs. Honda 2 - 8 (enough whining in the other thread to justify this. Sirlin’s progress in evo means nothing to me)
vs. Chun 6 - 4 (she struggles with CW, all her jump-ins can be AAed. But her speed and throw range make this close)
vs. Blanka 7 - 3 (Electricity is useless, horizontal ball is useless, Fei doesn’t need to jump in so his AA is also useless. Rainbow roll… who really uses that. I gave Blanka a 3 because he CAN win if he uses a lot of tricks, but it’s a really tough match. Fei’s improved rekka range is a nightmare for Blanka)
vs. Zangief 7 - 3 (Fei gives Gief hell. Safe string rekkas, lk CW and flame kick can keep Gief in a corner for all 99 seconds. Only saving grace for Gief is the lariat, but he has to use it very wisely)
vs. Guile 6 - 4 (Most guile’s are turtles so it makes it easy for Fei to corner him in. There are a couple safe rekka strings that can keep up the pressure. Once he loses his down charge, it’s really easy to mix in a cw or jump in. Guile gets a 4 for having decent normals and great recovery on booms)
vs. Hawk 5 - 5 (rising hawk beats everything fei has. hawk also has a good tick game. hawk dive is also a pain. gave it a 5 because his normals are easy to react to and it’s not quite as challenging to corner him)
vs. Dee Jay 4 - 6 (tough crossups and excellent normals)
vs. Boxer 5 - 5 (at first I was going to give Boxer the edge, but Fei can lock him down in a corner as well. Only thing going for Boxer is the headbutt and super. Fei can counter everything else).
vs. Claw 3 - 7 (Speed, long range pokes. Claw can just sit there and poke/AA approaches, or jump off the wall like a mad man and still outdo fei)
vs. Sagat 4 - 6 (Can zone with tiger shots, but not as well as ryu. Knee is a good punishing tool for missing flame kicks, rekkas. The speed of his shots alone make it a pain to get close)
vs. Dictator 4 - 6 (His jump is a good runaway tool, as well as devil’s reverse, head stomp. His ToD is a nightmare, fake slide as well. doesn’t struggle as much with CW as he DOES have a way out)
vs. Ghandi 4 - 6 (long-ass limbs can keep fei out. has a decent throw range and a jump into drill for escaping. teleport is also a very underrated move)
vs. Cammy 5 - 5 (i can’t really explain why this is even, but it is)

I could write more, but there are some things I found out that don’t really work in Fei’s favor, so it’s better not to let people in on the secret :slight_smile:

to add, these aren’t my win:loss ratios while playing these characters. My numbers are based on how hard i have to try against them compared to the others.

p.s. vs Fei 10 - 0 (Fei always wins)

I desagree, I think this fight is roughly even. Blanka’s specials arent good against Fei, but Blanka is all about normal moves anyways… Fei has a hard time against jump lk, slide and crossup mixups. I think its even cause the side that puts pressure first usually wins and they are in equal position at the round start.

I found a nice strat can be corner tactics. If you sit in the corner and pay attention, he can’t jump on you(flame kick), he can’t slide(just block), and he can’t roll(rekka punish). All he has at that point is dash > throw, ball > throw, if you have good reflexes and are awake, then there isn’t much he can do.

I have bad reflexes and execution, so I can pull this off like 1/10 times. :lol:

If you’re turtling with Fei, you might be better off trying to actively stop Blanka Balls (st. short?) to prevent roll bites.

i only agree that whoever puts pressure first has the upper hand.
j.lk can be AA’ed, slide loses to st.hp, trades with most of fei’s other normals, crossups are only as good as the other player reversing. In the end it comes down to tricks.
Blanka can’t really put Fei in a corner and keep him there. He doesn’t have the tools. Fei does.

Yeah that’s the only part you need to work around. Flame kick too. Again that strategy requires great execution and reactions.

I almost missed that. You, Sir, are a great liar. You DP out of almost every meaty whatever I try to do, especially meaty TAPs. : (

I punished a DP-spamming Ken (Hadouken23456) today. Man this guy can pull some quick DP!!! But some patience gets him back most of the time :lovin: . I have to re-match with Coth_X’s Ken sometimes.

One annoying game I had today was Chunli. All he does is back to his corner and throw fireballs & wait 'til I jump or CW forward to counter or crouch kick. He continuously jumps + lowKick the whole freaken time, making it hard for me to move forward over the air or ground (fireball). And once I narrow the gap so that Chicken Wing would be more effective, he would bounce off his own wall and start walking backward to the other side while throwing fireball and jump short-kicks !!! Sooooooo annoying.

Well, depends on if I’m in the zone, but seriously my execution blows on the right side. My reactions tend to be slow too.

What’s your tag?

So tournament results and tons of match videos of a top Fei vs top Hondas don’t mean anything? Fei can beat headbutts and butt stomps with flame kick, AND also beat out headbutts and hundred hands with S.fp if used properly. He’s got the tools. Claw is definitely a much worse match. What can fei POSSIBLY do against a turtling claw?

Besides Sirlin’s evo matches, I’d like to see these so-called videos you are talking about. Of HDR fei of course. ST fei/honda is a meaningless comparison. If you’re referring to Sirlin’s videos then let me throw this out… I believe he won by luck. just because he scored knockdowns with psychic flamekicks doesn’t make the match any less harder. in the end, the matches he won were incredibly close, and he used a lot of gimmicks.

And I’ll throw your question right back at you, “What can fei possible do against a turtling honda?”

Here’s some scenarios… assume that honda is in a corner, fei is in the other corner.

1. You try to approach -> headbutt.
  2. You try to jump -> headbutt.
  3. You try to CW -> headbutt.
  4. You try to walk forward spamming st.hp -> well-timed headbutt.
  5. You try to walk forward spamming st.hp and block the well-timed headbutt -> you’re back in the corner, honda is too far away to react to.

Flame kick might beat buttslam but it also trades with it. Flame kick also beats headbutt, but unless you’ve got psychic abilities like Daigo, you’re not going to spam it since… oh yes, headbutt can punish it.
I’m not going to argue that claw is easier than Honda, because he most certainly is not. But I’ve had more problems with honda than any claw i’ve faced.

edit: I would also like to point out, that if I was judging only by those videos @ evo, I would not call Sirln’s fei a “top fei”. My humble opinion though… I’m just a nobody. Sirlin might be a top player, but his Fei is not.

I think part of the problem is that headbutt is always safe. Honda can’t spam it no, but when he hits or its blocked its never bad for him, ok not never, but pretty much.

Its not that easy to AA straigh jump lk, that thing stuffs DPs for free at the right range. Slides are beaten by lots of things, sure, but you risk eating a knockdown for trying to rekka or CW (you should never CW against Blanka) and crossups are good cause they mess up with the abitlity of the player doing reversals in the case of motion characters, plus Fei has a giant hitbox, its like Honda for Blanka. And Fei should’nt be reversal happy against Blanka, cause he has a free meaty: s. lk.

That’s not gimmicks, if Blanka knock Fei down first, or bite him, Fei suffer to escape pressure, period. And that is mid screen, not in the corner. Actually, Blanka doesn’t want to corner Fei.

That’s why I say fei should back himself into the corner and make blanka do something about it.

for neutral jump lk, fei can just walk under and uppercut for free. for all other jump ins, AA will at the very least trade, in fei’s favor.
slide is also punishable if blocked i think, and you’re correct, slides beat rekkas, however, rekka has a faster startup time, so unless the slide is preemptive, it loses. also right that cw should be unneeded against blanka.
reversals are troublesome for every character, not really match-up specific. and i dunno what that meaty s.lk is, but reversal beats any meaty unless it has some special property.

Out of curiosity, did you watch the 3v3 regionals? There’s an awesome match where Sirlin OCV’s a team.

I was tempted to comment on this, but then I realized i have no idea what you’re saying? Are you talking about reversal uppercuts (and similar attacks) or reversal moves in general?

On st.lk, blankas entire foot is invincible so if spaced correctly you either block it or your reversal flame kick whiffs right through it begging to be punished.

little tidbit on chickenwing, if the blanka player has good reaction time he can cr.mp which will make chickenwing whiff and get a free bite.

He had over 35 minutes of match footage from this year’s EVO… and that’s just the stuff that he posted on his site. He, Thelo and EA Megaman played TONS of casual matches and Sirlin came out ahead at a solid 6-4 (even according to the Hondas.) You can’t tell me a 6-4 after dozens upon dozens of matches is just luck. It’s not a 2-8 match. Also, if you tell me that Sirlin is not a top Fei, then are you saying Thelo is also not a top Honda? The guy is a beast. Ranks high in tournaments and ranks high on XBLA. If you can beat him 6-4 then you’re either as good as him or the character matchup is better than 5-5.

I’m not going to call myself an expert Fei player since I’m not out there winning tournaments, so I can’t answer with certainty as to what the best strats are in the situation you gave. I would simply try to walk up and predict headbutt w/ flame kick or throw out well timed jabs/s.fp. At least the chances of you being successful w/ this are way better than vs. Claw. Claw will always beat your jumpins, 100% of the time, no matter where you’re coming from. His ground normals will stuff Fei’s ground moves. I’m seriously at a loss as to what to do in this situation. You won’t even get trades, and no matter how psychic you are, it doesn’t matter, since there is no risk for Claw. He can throw out backflips to counter jumpins w/o risk, and he can poke you without risk. It’s a very frustrating matchup :frowning:

On a side note, I was playing some T.Hawk matches and I noticed that jumping MP can, timed properly, stuff T.Hawk’s DP in situations where Fei’s other normals seemingly don’t… just my imagination?