SFHD - Fei Long: Strategy only, ONLY POST STRATS, STRATS ONLY

Well with Cammy your better off just punishing with Rekkas after blocked Super for better and easier damage.

Trying To Get In:

If Deejay throws out a Jab Projectile, and your too far away to hit him with CW, neutral jump over it is the safest option (It goes for any projectile character).

They can’t throw another projectile until the last one leaves the screen giving you a little bit of time to close the distance. When your at mid distance and Deejay throws out a Jab projectile HK CW is one good option since the projectile is slow enough for you to clear it in time plus it will hit Deejay. If he throws out a faster projectile your options are to neutral jump or just block it. Learn to pump fake the CW motion to get the turtle Deejay players to throw out an Upkick, or make them afraid to.

Your Finally In:

You cannot be bashful about throwing some body weight. Throw the shit out of everyone. Use your usual ticks throws such as cl.LK and cl.HP. Get a feel for your opponent to see how well he does reversals on wakeup. Mix it up between the two to throw off their reversal rhythm. If they are good at reversing on wakeup, walk up like your about to tick throw them then back off to bait that reversal. Make sure your far enough for them not to reverse throw you.

You have the Health Lead… Finally!:

The best spot you want to have Deejay in is against the corner (As with all other characters of course). But when you have him there you want to be just outside his cr.MK range.

Once your there, you can spam st.HP to stuff his slide, and Dread Kicks. His upkicks will completely miss you allowing you to punish afterwards. Any projectile can be avoided with LK CW on reaction.

Hopefully you have your Rekka strings down already. If not, practice, practice, practice!

As I said before, the only thing I fear about Deejay is his crossups. You do have a “Get out of Crossup Occasionally” card which I mentioned on the first page.

Next time I encounter him, I’ll have to try that. But I think the problem with your getting in strategy is that even if he throws the jab projectile and I CW, he can just upkick me. Worth noting that when he did screw up once and upkicked at the wrong time, within about 5 seconds I had him nearly dead, so getting in is the really hard part. Faking him out seems to be the only thing to do. What’s the “fake CW” motion?

just do a down-forward without the kick.

also, getting in applies to all fireball characters, not just deejay. it may seem harder with deejay because his normals are just awesome, but it’s just as difficult with any shoto/sim/guile/chun/etc.

Well he can’t Upkick immediately after throwing any Projectile so that’s your window to hit him. If you do get upkicked, it was because you took too long.

Basically work on your reaction time.

Another matchup question - turtling Vegas. A friend of mine plays a REALLY patient Vega - basically as soon as he gets any sort of life advantage, he simply turtles. I have yet to find a way to beat him. If I do any sort of jump in, I get hit with the double backflip combo into double backflip (usually takes off about 25-30%.) Chicken wing is punished the same way. I’ve tried faking him out with neutral jumps and smaller chicken wings, but because of the range and speed of his pokes, there’s simply no way to get next to him with any attack that WON’T get hit by the backflips. 3x blocked rekka chain will always eat one of his punches, so that isn’t an option either.

My only strategy left is to just try to get as close as possible by walking and then throwing out c.mp to try to beat his jabs. If HE goes on the offensive (which only usually happens if I’m psychic about something), things go a little bit better for me, but still not by much, since all he needs is a slight advantage to go back into turtle mode.

One thing I did find out after playing at least 50-60 matches against this guy is that while the flame kick is useless as a reversal against his claw roll, a chicken wing will reverse OVER him - a favorable position to be in.

I dont’ know if the hp rekka mk rekka block string is safe on block, but you can definitely use just one rekka. Know the range of your rekkas (I think HP rekka is about half a screen) so that you don’t over shoot or wiff. Then just use safe rekka block strings to slowly eat away at Claw’s health until he panics and creates an opening for you (back flip).

Edit: Please ignore this terrible advice.

Slide beats Rekka cleanly.

Slide also beats Chicken Wing as it is landing.

Trying to chip at Claw with Rekka is dangerous since it basically gives him a free knockdown if he reacts to it which sets up walldive shenanigans.

My bad. I can’t react to rekkas that well so I honestly thought it was a good idea.

slide doesn’t beat rekka all the time. it depends on distance. hp rekka has more range than the slide so if rekka is done slightly after, it should win (haven’t tested this).

chicken wing against vega is only useful if he isn’t expecting it, otherwise its a free throw or flip kick.

rekkas against claw are also pointless. there is only one string that is somewhat safe, hp mp lp (might be hp mp mp, been a while), but it has to be done from the farthest distance possible.

Nope.

Tried it.

Rekka can only actually hit slide if it is done either point blank or half a character away from Claw. And Claw must not react instantly because he will still beat it cleanly if they are done at the same time.

And even then you will at the most trade meaning you get in 1 Rekka hit worth of damage and Claw gets a knockdown.

Playing against Vega will make any Fei player scratch their eyes out. His buffs don’t apply here, and his nerfs makes this matchup even more difficult.

Your main tools for this fight are st.HK, st.HP, and cr.HP.

Basically the idea is to trade with whatever limbs Vega sticks out. Vega and Dhalsim gets dizzied faster than the rest of the cast. The trades will not only be in your favor since they normally poke with weaker moves, but they’ll get dizzied which is of course free big damage for you.

st.HK and st.HP will trade or beat alot of Vega’s normals and Rolls.

cr.HP will often trade with Vega’s slide.

You can also use Fei’s Overhead if you anticipate Vega’s slide as it is an instant jump.

Although any blocked Rekka string is a free poke from Vega, it is possible to punish them due to that little habit. After doing Rekka x2 delay the 3rd hit for a split second to bait out that poke to beat it cleanly which of course the 3rd hit of Rekka will result in a knockdown. The may decide to do slide instead, but point blank the Rekka will trade knocking both players down. At this point, hopefully you made them a little more cautious about doing any more pokes immediately after blocking Rekka strings. This may give you an oppertunity to walk up and throw.

Limit the amount of times you use Flame Kick since Vega can easily punish it. You basically have to be psychic to use it on a grounded Vega.

Against Walldiving shenanigans, you can use Flame Kick if you want, but it would be better to do Neutral j.MK or j.LP instead for increased success at hitting him. Possibly even CW if he’s already above you. If you get knocked down by Vega, chances are that he will most certainly start his Walldives. Use the “Get out of crossup” input that was discussed on the first page.

CW’s are generally free throws for Vega. However if you feel that you can hit him with CW, use MK CW (Possibly HK CW too) as it has a better chance at actually hitting Vega with the Third hit. LK CW is almost worthless againt him since it constantly whiffs against him. Don’t bother wih it.

I found out recently that you can do cr.LP and cr.LK to hit Dhalsim out of his slide, and it’s more reliable than cr.HP since you can mash it out.

Hopefully this will make the Sim matchup slightly less difficult.

I always have a tough time with non-fireball characters:

1.) Honda
2.) Balrog (a really GOOD one)
3.) Vega
4.) …and may be GOOD Dhasilm

I’ve met other great players using Ryu, Guile, Gief, Blanka, Bison, etc… But I’ve always had answers to their moves even though I lose all the time due to timings on reactions. When I meet RenoMD (on PSN) Honda, I just put my controller down and take a short break and hope that somebody in that room would de-throne him.

Is there any way to deal with Honda (or at least scare him) besides standing-Fierce? Chicken Wing and Rekka doesn’t do anything but making you eat his counters. And the so-called “reaction-based” Honda will always sit in his corner and never attack, so Fei’s Flame Kick is basically useless.

When I play RenoMD, I usually beg him not to use Honda. Other than that, spamming st.lk or st.lp works just as well as st.hp.

Slightly OT, but based of my accumulated HDR Fei experience:

vs. Ryu 3 - 7
vs. Ken 3 - 7
vs. Honda 2 - 8
vs. Chun 6 - 4
vs. Blanka 7 - 3
vs. Zangief 7 - 3
vs. Guile 6 - 4
vs. Hawk 5 - 5
vs. Dee Jay 4 - 6
vs. Boxer 5 - 5
vs. Claw 3 - 7
vs. Sagat 4 - 6
vs. Dictator 4 - 6
vs. Ghandi 4 - 6
vs. Cammy 5 - 5

that’s where your chicken wing mixup will shine. get him scared of being thrown, throw in an overhead here and there (afaik fei can’t be ochio’d during his overhead).

i’ve only been playing fei for about a week or so, but i find turtling hondas a lot easier to deal with than a honda rushing your shit down.

3-7 vs Ryu and Ken? I don’t know about that… thanks to the weak chicken wing, Fei is pretty deadly against them. 2-8 vs. Honda is also off IMO. It’s a tough matchup but Fei has the tools to win it, as Sirlin showed over and over vs. top Honda players. If anything I think Claw should be 2-8 because Fei actually doesn’t have the tools to win vs. a turtling Vega, IMO…

I agree. It’s more like a 7-3 for Ken & Ryu for me. I think I only lose to a couple good Ryu & Ken like DOTA_WickedSick, blitzfu, Coth_X, etc. All I did was lite Chicken Wing against fireball and standing fierce (upper fist) or crouching fierce if they spam dragon punches. Sometimes you have to trick the opponent and land your Chicken Wing to just right outside of his dragon punch range…just so that you won’t get hurt but able to punish his dragon punch while he’s in the air.

It’s Honda, Balrog, and Vega that I hated most. I used to be able to handle blueblood12’s Vega…but not anymore now. :frowning:

I’m pretty close to your match-up list, Shezbot25. But here’s my version from personal experience:

vs. Ryu 7 - 3
vs. Ken 7 - 3
vs. Honda 3 - 7 (Honda’s worst to Fei, but it requires good player to use him right, which is rare too)
vs. Chun 6 - 4
vs. Blanka 6 - 4
vs. Zangief 7 - 3
vs. Guile 6 - 4 (will win if you have patience against a turtling, flash-kick Guile)
vs. Hawk 7 - 3 (only lose 100% of the time when played a guy with blank nick – really, NO nick at all)
vs. Dee Jay 7 - 3 (only lose a couple to a DJ that can do 10+ hit combos consistently)
vs. Boxer 3 - 7 (ok, I suck against a lot of good Balrog players)
vs. Claw 3 - 7 (go ahead and smile, blueblood12)
vs. Sagat 5 - 5 (shouldn’t be harder than Ryu if Fei’s lite CW works against hi-Tiger)
vs. Dictator 5 - 5 (crouching fierce works great against Bison’s slide & psych if spacing right)
vs. Ghandi 6 - 4 (win sometimes & lose most of the times, I hate you ktm0066)
vs. Cammy 5 - 5
vs. Fei Long 7 - 3 (only lose to Shezbot25 with his consistently well-timed Rekka, and a couple more) on PSN hehe

Wow man. I don’t know what to say about that Tier list! :lol:

7-3 vs. Ryu and Ken in Fei’s favor? I wish! I think your underestimating their Zoning game.

Blanka is a pretty even matchup.

Gief is closer than he was before. No way it’s 7-3 in Fei’s favor.

Deejay is definately not 7-3 in Fei’s favor. One can dream.

7-3 vs Fei? That’s kinda wierd right there. :rofl:

No one ever puts mirror matchups in their Tier list. It’s automatically even.

Now of course for the ones I pointed out aren’t what you meant, it’s probably because you didn’t stay consistent on keeping the advantage/disadvantage numbers on the same side.

You can just put one number which will make the tier list less confusing unless you point out specifically which is which.

Example: Vs. Honda - 3.5