SFHD - Fei Long: Strategy only, ONLY POST STRATS, STRATS ONLY

I’ve been playing around with Fei recently, and having a blast, but I feel like im not getting good use from the mk overhead.

Does anyone have any crazy setups after landing the f+mok overhead on wakeup?

Typically if I land it I’ll either short flamekick looking to stuff a poke, and when they get wise to that mix up a throw now and again. On occasion I’ll also go for a crouch roundhouse or a short chickenwing afterward.

However, I very rarely use this, I feel i get more worth via pressuring with a stand fierce into whatever, or trying a low fierce linked to the sweep.

Seems like I’m probably missing something with regards to the overhead. Any ideas?

Oh, and you can’t link anything after it, right?

Cheers

The overhead is one of my favorite moves. It’s really good because it’s basically free damage if you train your opponent not to try reversals, it’s so fast only good players who expect it will block it. I know they will think twice about doing a reversal after you nail em with a cr.fierce tripple rekka, or any other meaty set-up. As for following up to the overhead, just do a slight pause after the overhead, then flame kick or super. If your fighting a character who can punish a blocked flame kick for free(sim), just do light cw or throw a poke to keep pressure. Of course, u can always throw or even do another overhead if you sense a complete turtle. This move is all about feeling your opponent out, that’s why I usually do them towards the end of rounds or matches.

Oh and no you can’t link anything after the overhead.

What I normally do is throw out 2 cr.HP, or cr.HP > Rekka x3 on wakeup which does a large amount of damage and sometimes dizzies if they mess up the reversal, and to see if they are good at reversals.

After I train them to duck when they get up, I throw out a deep overhead and use it as a tick to throw them.

I think I now should talk about something I accidently discovered when playing against some Hondas.

I wanted to make sure it wasn’t some lucky fluke so I tried to repeat that scenario. I played against Studtroopers Honda in Ranked and managed to nail him twice with a Roundhouse CW crossup. Out of those two CW crossups I managed to catch him out the air when he attempted a Headbutt or Buttslam (Don’t know which one). Then again, that may have been one of the other matches. Memory is a little fuzzy.

Thanks to Honda’s fat frame it makes it possible to cross him up with this!

Anyway I went to training mode and put Honda into a crouching position, Autoguard.

I did the Roundhouse Crossup succesfully. Now it was time to see if I can connect anything after it.

It is possible to RH CW crossup into cl.HP > Rekka x3 for a 5 hit combo! Take that 5 frames of recovery. :razz:

So now what the Fei Long players out there (All seven of us. HA!) should do is go more indepth with this to see what other benefits this can bring us. Perhaps it can be used as a wakeup tool? ANYTHING to make the Honda matchup less painful can only be good.

So go into training mode and put Honda in the same settings I described above. Get use to the distance where RH CW will crossup. Which is pretty close (Just outside st.HP range).

Careful… crouching causes much longer hit reels than standing, and for the most part, if you tried the Cross-up Roundhouse Chicken Wing, most of the time you hit Honda, he will probably be standing. I can’t think of a reason why Hondas would stay crouching when they see the Chicken Wing, unless you just hit them because they tried a move unsuccessfully. But if they react to it and try to block, you’ll probably hit them while standing, and then Standing Fierce will NOT Combo afterwards anymore.

• James

Yeah it doesn’t combo on standing Hondas (Already tested that out :P), but I think you have to feel out your opponent first. If you pop them with enough cr.HP, I think they would be more likely to stay crouched. If they do stand, then RH CW crossup will then be turned into a tick where you can throw the opponent afterward. I managed to pull this off once. I guess it depends on how soon or late they stand up. Can you still be Ochio’ed? Maybe. This one Honda probably didn’t Ochio because I caught him off guard.

This definately has to be explored more to make sure. I have hope!

for the characters that suffer from the 6-hit xup combo, if you think the xup is risky or your timing is off, just skip the xup part and do the 5-hit for an easy ~60% damage.

cl.mp -> cl.hp xx rekkas.

note that the cl.mp -> cl.hp is a link, you have to time cl.hp after cl.mp finishes.

another relatively easy combo is a j.hk, cl.hp xx flame kick. does about 50% damage if you land the j.hk close enough and the flame kick does 2 hits (note that xup not required). works on the same “fat” characters.

for reference, those characters are… blanka, guile, rog, gief, sim, sagat, hawk, fei, cammy.

Tardo, don’t forget about j.:hk:, cr.:lp:/cr.:lk:(hits low), cl.:hp: XX Rekka Ken (x3). Works from the front. If that doesn’t dizzy, a simple tap from a light attack will do.

i’ll have to try that. i remember the link from cr.lk/lp to cl.hp being a bit difficult to time. also, i assume the j.hk has to be deep?

It does have to be pretty deep. That’s why I like using j.:hp: instead (since the hitbox is a little higher, making that jump in combo a little easier to preform). This is generally my response to an up-close projectile attempt that I predicted was coming (or miraculously reacted to).

The idea, though, is to also condition them to block low…which sets up the overhead, :lk: Chicken Wing, and kick throw.

As a beginner who’s just picked up Fei Long, I’m having some issues. Bison’s scissor kicks. Does standing fierce stuff that, or do I have to be psychic with a flame kick? I also have trouble with cross-ups. I heard Fei Long has some option select stuff for cross-ups, in which if it aint a cross up, you get a flame kick, and if it is you get a chicken wing to escape the cross-up safely. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yeah I talked about it here…

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=6628688&postcount=581

Up close, st.HP does beat Scissor Kicks in the beginning stages of the attack, but it trades afterward. Make sure you don’t give them breathing room.

Fei gets free Rekkas from a blocked Fierce Psyco Crusher.

This shouldn’t be a hard matchup for Fei. Bison has a hard time with CW lockdown in the corner. The only thing that keeps him from completely walking over him is his death combo.

Good info! Thanks!

Any way to keep from getting a CW during a crossup?

I do the b,d,db motion as I’m getting crossed over and I’ll get a CW, on deep crossups though, I still seem to get hit.

What about that anti-cross up SRK motion (though I guess in reverse)? :l:,:db:,:d:,:df:+:k:

I think I’ve seen :r:,:df:,:d:,:db:+:p: on shoto forums somewhere to address cross up issues.

Tried this last night, but no go. the link from cr.lp/lk to cl.hp always gets blocked. I can do it fine if I start the combo with cr.lp/lk into cl.hp, but j.hk, cr.lp/lk -> cl.hp wouldn’t work… :annoy:

Make sure the jumping attack is deep. It works. Keep practicing. Also remember that to get the most out of the frame advantage you get from cr.:lp: and cr.:lk:, you need to go to neutral and press :hp: at the exact same time that you recover from the first attack. That way, your “crouching to standing” animation gets interrupted.

How deep is deep? I’m practising against Gief in the corner, and jump in right on his head, hitting as late as possible. Also, how many frames do I have? 1 or 2?

And… hate to break the flow of convo here, but everyone knows that flame kick beats the second hit of honda’s super… but can this be done for anyone else? I don’t remember correctly, but I did this against cammy before too. Do supers have different priorities (e.g. will this work for ken?). Off the top of my head, it seems that the following characters have slight pauses or two different animations in which a flame kick might be possible: ken, guile, rog, sagat, cammy, bison…

I think interrupting Supers with Flame Kick only works vs. Honda. Cammy I don’t think you can interrupt, but I KNOW FOR SURE Ken you can’t interrupt as he is invincible until the top of the 2nd Shoryuken. Boxer you can interrupt very rarely when his Super does the infamous slowdown glitch.

What can Fei do against a really good Dee Jay? Earlier I faced a guy on 360, “Remy77077” and he wiped the floor with me, 6-0. Two perfects out of those. He was basically just hanging back and up-kicking any kind of jump in or CW attempt, while constantly doing low pokes. He was poking fast enough with his kicks that any Rekka attempt was just immediately blocked. If I got too far, he’d use Max Out - he’d stop using them once my weak CW could jump them and put me in close range.

I tried walking up and throwing out pokes + neutral jumps to try to fake him out, but those upkicks have such good range (and can be comboed into themselves) that he could see them coming and punish ANYTHING a mile away.