Sega Stick Appreciation Thread!

Always liked the VSHG. Probably why I spent a grip on the VAS-HG remake. That all white one is uber classy though

The button layout on the HSS-0136 is the most intriguing button layout I’ve ever seen. The way it’s aligned is perfect for 4-button games too (SNK-games, TvC, VF, etc…)!

Past mods I’ve done with this model (well, cheap knock-offs but happened to bear the SEGA letters underneath the art):

I love my Agetec.

@Scabby: That’s fucking great. Your “sleeper” agetec stick. That’s actually exactly what i want to do to mine. I need to get a dremel first though. (around xmas i’d assume, as a gift from the Wife®). Keep that thing original looking, but beef up the innards.
About how long did that take?

Without further ado, my three Sega joysticks…

First up, the Mission Stick…

Originally released around the time of WingArms on the Sega Saturn, this joystick was also compatible with all three Panzer Dragoon releases on the Saturn. It also had undocumented compatibility with the Saturn port of MechWarrior 2. I ended up playing with it on MW2 more than anything else. Roll response felt “heavy” on WingArms; the Japanese digital pad was better and actually helped you feel the difference of the prop fighters whereas they all felt the same on the Mission Stick. I guess it was okay on the PD games but the regular digital pad still felt better.

There was a rumor going around that at one time Sega considered releasing an add-on joystick so the Mission Stick would be useful with Virtual-On. The MS joystick could be detached and mounted on either side of the central base for left- or right-handed play. I kept mine default (right-handed) because it felt more comfortable that way in spite of my left-handedness.

Here’s a pic of the Mission Stick’s bottom showing the bolts and detachable stick cord that would enable side-swapping and the possibility of an add-on stick…

The famous Saturn Twin Stick for Virtual-On…

Way better looking than the Dreamcast Version and miles ahead of the XBox 360 edition even if the 360 stick has better Sanwa parts. The Saturn version’s decals put it ahead of the other two IMHO. It LOOKS like an arcade stick!

Never bothered getting the DC Twin Stick. There were adaptors available to use Saturn controllers on the DC at any rate.

Finally, my modded Agetec. I spray-painted the body white with Dupli-Color for Fabric and Vinyl, replaced the original joystick with an LS-32-01, and swapped out the original 30mm buttons for Sanwa plug-ins. I also added 20mm button holes for Start, Select, Home, and an RJ-45 pass-through jack. All I need to get are another 20mm button (preferably black), an RJ-45 jack, and the MC Cthulu.

I glued my VMU slot holder to the back to distinguish the case and get use out of what would have otherwise been extra (discardable) plastic.

The VMU window DOES light up but I have to get an internal mirror to direct and intensify the red LED light. I kept the yellow Start button and its switch to activate the LED.

And those are my Sega sticks… I may get another Agetec for a mod project in the future. Really like that case!

Love the Macross stick, now I want to go re-watch macross ;_; my box set is sitting right above me…

i love the agetec sticks but like i said b4 its all about the vshg

There was more than one Skull-One VF-1S in the Macross feature film, “Do You Remember Love?”

The VF-1S Valkyrie fighter (original Skull-One) everyone remembers is Roy Fokker’s. After he was killed in the movie, a new Skull-One (VF-1S) was commissioned and Maximillian Jenius (aka Max Sterling in the rest of the world) was assigned it. His VF-1S had blue trim as opposed to the previous fighter’s yellow trim.

Max didn’t remain in command of VF-1 Skull Squadron for too long as he was taken prisoner by the Meltrandi in the movie after a furious dogfight with Miriya.

Hikaru Ichijo (aka Rick Hunter) was assigned to a third VF-1S (done up with red trim) when he succeeded Max as squadron leader of VF-1 Skull Squadron in the movie.

It goes without saying that if I DO get another Agetec in the next year that it WILL be done up as a squadron mate/successor to Roy’s VF-1S. I’ve had the artwork for it done for months.

The artwork for this first Agetec stick was all sourced from the Internet. The next stick I have planned consists of artwork (with the exception of the squadron badge) that was sourced from scans. I have several Macross/Robotech artbooks including the storyboard book/visual continuity script to Macross:DYRL.

NOTICE: The Japanese confusingly use VF-1 as both a squadron designation and a mecha design in Macross.

In US Navy terminology usage, “VF” always stands for “naval fighter squadron.” Ironically, there are no VF’s in service since the F-14 Tomcat was retired in 2006 and replaced by the F/A-18E and F Super Hornets. All VF’s have been redesignated “VFA” which stands for “Naval Strike Fighter Squadron.” This designates squadrons that have aircraft that are designed for at least dual roles – air combat and surface attack.

There was a VF-1 in US Navy service. It was called Wolfpack and featured Tomcats with visually attractive wolf markings. These markings were originally red stripes and a wolf’s head on both the forward areas of the F-14 fuselage and the vertical tail fins… Later Navy reduced visibility rules saw the red replaced with grey coloring.

VF-1 was the designation for Roy Fokker’s Skull Squadron in Macross (and Robotech) as well as the designation for the series’ main aerial combat mecha. Fokker’s Skull-1 VF-1S stood out with its bright pirate striping as well as the unique robot head in transformed mode. No other VF-1 Valkyries in the original Macross TV series had robot heads with 4-laser cannon turrets… It was apparently a very uncommon model in mainline Macross continuity. Other Valkryie models were the mainstay tan VF-1A with single turret heads in robot form and the twin-turreted (robot head) VF-1J which was the model originally flown by Hikaru Ichijo through the halfway mark of the series; Max and Miriya were assigned their own VF-1J’s painted in their distinctive colors (blue and red with white striping; negatives of Hikaru’s VF-1J) as of episode 27 onwards. Miriya’s red VF-1J made an appearance in an episode of Macross 7 (TV series) where it was destroyed.

YAKKU DECULTURE!

Makes me want to mod the 0136 with some Macross art and pick up a Yamato 1:46 VF-1S (to go with the VF-1A).

this is all the sega sticks i own lol.

^That 3 button on P1 0130 still looks weird.

whats the 3 button for?

I love that this is a Macross thread now. Deculture 4-life!

Word!

Virtua Fighter I guess.

That’s not the only Macross-themed joystick that I own. There is another but it’s NOT a Sega-branded joystick.

PMs then. I’m sure NRX would like to see it as well.

Heck, this is a Macross thread now, bring it!

Okay… It’s a white HRAP 3 (Japan-only, Amazon-exclusive) with online art.

Did it up late last year. Fan of the white case, not such a big fan of the JLF-only mount!

Besides installing an extra JLF spring and discarding the Hori stock buttons (24mm and 30mm) for Sanwa plug-ins, I removed the carriage bolts and installed cap socket screws. Much easier maintenance from top! HRAP’s are very frustrating to service through the baseplate because of all the screws, bolts, hex nuts, and washers you have to remove. 6 versus 26-28 parts isn’t an even contest!

It also has an Art Hong plexi on top of the art. The plexi has some scratches but they really don’t show well unless you look for them.

Next mod for this stick might be a Flash PCB mod from Toodles when he perfects his unit. It’s just practical to mod this stick base for Seimitsu and it’s one of those units I really would care to keep near stock condition in case I decide to sell (which is unlikely). I really do like this HRAP – my favorite one by far.

The Flash PCB is the major reason I’m keeping JLF’s in some joysticks otherwise my favorite most used sticks are getting Seimitsu joysticks… The next JLF swap might be with an LS-40-01.

Minor bump to move up thread… Edited last post to display pics!

I got mine HSS-0130 with og box & all papers. Now I’m moding it but trying to keep all as virgin as i can.

I received Seimitsu buttons (og colors) & circular restrictors from akihabarashop not long ago.

Here is unmoded 1st player side:

http://imagepost.ru/images/264/FgRvd2d.jpg

Here is P2 side with new Seimitsu PS-14-G-N buttons, circular restrictor. It is my first mod & I’m trying to make all as good as i can.

http://imagepost.ru/images/264/tsakTyy.jpg

I want to make 2x DB15 outputs for connecting different PCB’s since i don’t want to drill case and instal RJ45 connectors & PCBs inside stick.
But i cant find 15 pin cable to do that :crybaby:

http://imagepost.ru/images/264/FS9iITy.jpg

I used DB-25 Breakout boards for mine. I took the entire stock panel out, the hole is big enough for it to fit thank god… I then placed one end of the DB-25 cable (2 total, one for each side) inside the case… that worked for me and I didn’t have to drill anything.

Also, try monoprice.com for your cables.