Official SSF2T: HD Remix General Discussion Thread

^try doing j.hp, c.mp .xxsuper, with guile.

balrog needs a gun

I Think hes good as isā€¦maybe a small gun that shoots tiny Balrogs

but that would mean he has to take off his glovesā€¦ he never takes off his gloves!!

haha I fail at SF, I have been trying that for a while I am so used to *letting go *of the kick for the super that I mess up my timing constantly. I got that one off just a little while ago (like today) on GGPO, but alas, my opponent blocked the whole frickin thingā€¦:crybaby:.

To much damn roo on HDR is messin up my Guile gameā€¦:xeye:

isnā€™t the whole philosophy behind HDR that testing how good someone is at doing hard moves isnā€™t very interesting? there are legitimate gameplay reasons why the cancel window for supers should be small, which has the knock-on effect of making them hard to combo into, but ā€œthey do a lot of damage, therefore they should be hard to combo intoā€ is just stupid reasoning

If anyone can learn how to shoot a gun with boxing gloves on, itā€™s Balrog.
Have you seen the cartoon, he types with those things on. He can best Mavis Beacon by 52 wpm with gloves, thatā€™s how superior Barlog is.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Haha yes how true, lol I remember Mavis Beacon back in the day on my oldskool 5 1/4inch floopy disk Amstard PC.

ā€¦ahhhh those were the days

Dear Strong Bad,

How do you type with boxing gloves on?

Hell yeah.

A tournament mode would be really cool. It would be even cooler if it were decked out with more options than just the no-pause feature. Thereā€™s probably a handful of things it could have for making tournaments easier to run.

For example, it could have an option for no time-out on the character select screen and the number of matches it takes to win a set. Then, when you play it could automatically declare a winner after that number of matches have been won and return to the character select screen, where it would re-enable both players to choose a different character.

Itā€™s probably too late in development to add something this deluxe. But it sounds like a neat idea :smile:

As far as making supers easy to combo into in HD? No. Winning a match in ST has never been about landing big, flashy, hit-confirmable combos. And I have no desire to see it turn into that.

For a tournament mode setting, it would also be a good idea to have an option to go to the button mapping menu right before the fight begins. Beats having to pick characters, map, reset then finally play. Hopefully it wouldnā€™t disrupt the flow of the match if it went character select -> buttons ->versus.

Yes, for the individual moves, you still need skill to implement massive 50% + life bar decimating combos. Supers and specials are easier to get out, the timing and spacing is still up to the player, they arent adding dial a combos man.

Huge impressive combos should take skill to pull off, otherwise yer just playing Smash bros.

I prefer they not do this at all. Having no time-out on the character select screen would bring campers. There are already people that do this crap on Hyper Fighting on the 360.

While I like your idea of elimination and being able to change your character after a match, but anything that would allow someone to permanently halt the game until they disconnect, or you quit giving them a free win, is a big no-no in my opinion.

omega: sweetā€™s idea on eliminating the timer was meant for a tournament mode for OFFLINE tournaments. not online, that would be very bad =)

EDIT: anyway, I just had random ideas pop into my head when I was playing and posted em in the beta forums. Kinda curious on what people would think here:

I donā€™t know why, but when I was playing this evening, I started thinking about random ideas. I realized, that every retail online sf game allows the winner to change character. While this is definitely not a bad thing, since it lets you get more variety and can make the sets of games stay fresh, I feel it can also be a hindrance. It gives the winner a chance to counter character the next player in the rotation, increasing his odds of keeping his winstreak alive. For instance, player 1 is on a winstreak using ryu. Then the next player comes in to fight and picks blanka. Player 1 waits for him to make the selection, then decides he wants to ensure his streak stays alive and picks honda to counter match blanka. Thatā€™s just a generic example.

So my idea, when setting up player match rooms, maybe add an option to force the winner to stick with the same character, in typical SF tradition. It probably wouldn;t happen since Iā€™m sure the game is on a feature lock (canā€™t add anymore features, so the game can be properly tested for bugs). But if it isnā€™t I think this could be a good feature, to make it even more arcade like =)

I also thought of another wildly random idea. For some reason, a thought of SNES Killer Instinct popped in my head, and it had, IMO, a really sweet option. There was an option where you could set the game to where if the winner had a winstreak going, once he hit a specific number of wins, the game would force him to go random, making it tougher for a victory. It would be a fun and challenging option. I never seen any game ever try this option, other than snes KIā€¦

Anyway, just random thoughts that popped into my head today =)

I was under the impression that ranked matches would be a double blind selection. I think this is the best option to avoid counterpicking. Maybe if they make double blind optional in unranked matches and youā€™re all set.

With regards to random selection after a certain number of wins, iā€™m really not feeling that. Some people donā€™t like playing with certain characters. Itā€™s not fun to play with a character you hate. cough vega cough

Shhhā€¦ they will hear you

Probably one of the easiest. a la CVS2ā€¦ Mash low jab, super. skills!

I can see Rog being a monster on live. If random hurricanes kicks are hitting people all over the place, I can only imagine what damage those dash punches are going to do. Hopefully all that tweaking worksā€¦

I never knew low short linked to strong DP before this game. Of course, I never had a reason to hit with strong DP from a certain range before either. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still want 3 hit juggle with DP though. Removing it completely isnā€™t needed is it? A big part of the problem is that both hits do wicked damage. Whereas with the fierce DP the first hit does next to nothing, (and itā€™s not often you land the other 2 hits AA it seems). If it did fuck all damage and had 3-hit juggle rule, I think it would be fun, and not that too-crazy dizzy machine it is now.

Will the 3 hit juggle still be on the fierce DP I wonder?

Changing characters in quater mode = fail.

Easier to combo supers = double fail.

Easy hit-confiriming is one of the worst aspects of modern fighters. Instead of supers being different moves they simply become more damage as part of a combo. In general over time the use of both specials and supers has changed from being stand-alone moves to being more combo-centric, but in that case you arenā€™t adding depth just meter-dependent damage.

One of the nice things about the SF2 series is that a lot of specials are useful outside of combos ( and not just anti-air specials ) and the same is true of supers. I wouildnā€™t mind if none of the supers were comboable.