Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

I remember when svc chaos was xoming out and theyd reveal a new character every 2 weeks or whatever on the official website. Was exciting times but pity the game was so poor.

1 Like

As general rule i think there’s a misconception about how artist’s skill works

Many Capcom artists just change style either because want to experiment new stuff or because they’re asked to give total different vibe for a new product

I’m the first that would have loved some of them to stick with their best style they found and do fuckton of stuff with that hand, but good luck at force an artist at do same stuff over and over when they feel “been there, done that”

The name drop itself is’nt much logical when most of them have done pieces that are worlds apart depending on game/period

One can say to prize consistence of performance level, and in this case i would go with Kinu no doubt, but i prefer consider the highest peaks rather than the average
Well, Kinu have great shot at win the peaks too, but this is another story

Example Akiman peaks are the other candidate for #1, but he did plenty of shitty pieces too

Ikeno goes from alright?
WTF, he did Great stuff for SF3TS, good enough to fight (and likely win) for #3 spot if Kinu and Akiman bounce him off #1 and 2
SF3 has been easily the apex of SF art, and Ikeno was part of the trio that make it so

Hiroaki barely touched SF in 4 and he’s close to top5 already, dude is just genius

Btw all this discussion should give idea why i get mad when caplol let waaaaay lesser people touch SF
They have no respect for the kind of legacy (at art level in this case) they have in their hands
When i think what kind of stuff managed to become “official SFV material” i think these people don’t deserve to own SF at all

1 Like

While everything you say is true, I still believe there is an almost night and day difference between old/new Bengus much note worthy than any other of the SF Artists.

1 Like

That’s not even very well informed. The Kyo vs Ryu poster, for example, was made by Falcoon.

Hard to believe the artwork and busts were made by the same artists, especially since the busts remind me a lot in color to KOF 2002 artwork which WAS made by Nona, and it’s one of the most atrocious things I have memory of.

Probably worst fighting game artwork of all time.

1 Like

For Capcom FG artists as of whatever style they use in their recent art.

Ikeno > Akiman > Shinkiro > Kinu > Power Gap > Bengus

Ikeno is the best when it comes to making characters look more dark and gritty. He’s the opposite to Kinu Nishimura who’s now gone for a slightly less detailed anime look, so much so that she broke a rule she made for the SFII Movie.

Kinu

If not for Ikeno’s facebook art, I’d put him on the same level as Bengus and SNK’s Eisuke Ogura (artist that got worse over time).

Ikeno

Shinkiro’s is amazing at drawing other Capcom characters, for 2021 there’s going to be a calendar drawn by Shinkiro featuring Ryu, Chun-Li, Nero, Vergil and so on. He’s much better now than he was at SNK, i think he’s improved more than any other artist. He found his style and built upon it. I hope Bengus finds a different style cuz his current one isn’t it.

2 Likes

Wow, any more info on that Shinkiro calendar, please? Woul definetely grab a copy if possible.

https://twitter.com/CStorejapan/status/1342307608745545730

2 Likes

Thanks!

Shinkiro I’ve never liked. Maybe in the KOF pre-98 years. His works look more like photomontages or rotoscopy.

Some of his works on the CvS series are borderline uncanny valley.

I’d say he’s not a good fit for Street Fighter’s manly and grotesque characters.

But, to each its own.

1 Like

I think his Ryu/Ken, Chun li and Cammy are usually good.

Akiman also did pieces that don’t even seem from the same person
Some are very bad
And yet some of his SF3 ones are incredible

I think Ikeno ever loved the “pencil phase”… even in SF3 where he did his best SF pieces and his style was very clean on the final/color version, his sketches were awesome too
One thing i know is that when colouring/polishing one thing you HATE is see all these awesome little details of pencil sketch version getting erased for a cleaner overall result
My guess later he just considered “why not?” and started invest more on the pure WB drawing, i think possibly got inspired by Kentaro Miura and Katsuya Terada works

Also this
I never been into his stuff, even if he is objectively a very skilled illustrator
Never seen him fit SF spirit, simple at that
Dude just go there and do Shinkiro, you can have him design Kyo, Ryu, Homer or Mickey Mouse, he will still do Shinkiro
And Shinkiro don’t fit SF, hard to explain it better

1 Like

I guess what you mean to say about Shinkiro is that he suffers from the “same face” syndrome?

1 Like

This is why I said Nona tends to be inconsistent

Shinkiro is an excellent artists. But not the right guy for SF highly exaggerrated and colourful characters.

4 Likes

That and plenty of other “problems”
The guy is good at his thing, but his thing have nothing to do with SF

Dude should have keept design KoF cast in glamour poses, that’s where he belong and where he do it best (i prefer Hiroaki over him also at KoF, but KoF is not my home)

I will never deny his skill on the areas of drawing he’s good at, he’s a Master
Hiroaki who i consider a genius and wish he will join SF, idolize him

But when i read people say they want a SF done by him, i want to fucking vomit

He should be considered the quintessence “Guest Artist”, but he will never be part of what Akiman, Bengus, Ikeno, Kinu etc built during decades

And i don’t say it as i hate the idea of an “outsider” to take over
You tell me Hiroaki or Murata is going to be the official artist of next SF i’ll be curious and hyped, they’re going to do great no doubt
Shuko Murase (SF2tAM) would give instant boner-> jizz to huge chunk of the fanbase

It’s about compatibility

Hey…

Possible source of inspiration for Rashid?

Hassad the Arabian Whirlwind from Kengan Ashura.

Came out a few years before SFV.

He’s defined by his incredible speed. DEFINITELY seems like a possible source of inspiration. If I find anymore parallels while I’m reading Kengan Ashura I will share them!

3 Likes

Wouldnt be surprised. Cooler design imo

1 Like

I’d say “practically certain”.

4 Likes

That means a lot coming from someone with such an amazing knack for uncovering design inspirations!

1 Like