Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

I don’t mind it being toned down a bit and just on bruise in lose screen than bloody.

What I just dislike is Birdie in SFV and the huge donut from nowhere in SFV. Thats why I gave emphasis on it because it’s really out of place and makes SF suddenly looks a different thing because it’s irrelevant. Birdie isn’t DeadPool or Doraemon.

3 Likes

I started playing SFII when I was eight. Watched the animated movie when I was 11.

It was all fine. I had already watched Optimus Prime die and the Predator decapitate people by that time.

3 Likes

Street Fighter 1 and 2.

Each numbered entry is true Street Fighter. Try harder.

2 Likes

So, if SF6 changes motion inputs and lifebar for 1-button specials and ring outs, it’s gonna be “the true essence of Street Fighter” too?

SF6 was supposedly gonna be about team mechanics, so the essence is all over the place. I can see why it wasn’t well received. I do think SF2 is the standard, and SF can’t deviate too much from it.

Each entry is its many ways its own universe of truth. So if SF6 does that, and god I hope it doesn’t, it will be what Street Fighter is for the next few years. But you don’t need to take it to that extreme to understand the point - Which is, violent/bloody/gritty depictions are very much a part of SF’s history but not necessarily essential parts of it.

I’m on team SF2AM which I think had the right amount of sex and violence.

Isn’t it funny that SF5 sort of “sexed up” the game?

Cammy’s newest appearance reached uncomfortable levels at least for me (definitely not family friendly), and remember Chun-Li’s “bouncing glitch”? Not even sure if they fixed that in the end, by the way.

I miss Mika’s booty swat, anyway. Or her flying peach attacks, by the case. They were lots of fun and a character’s trademark :confused: Not sure if ‘self-censorship’ had something to do with her losing those specials.

From the KOF side, for example, Yamazaki lost his knife attacks, Heidern his “neck helicopter” thing and I think even his bloodsucking super.

100%. But then, I hate ALL of his throwing garbage moves.

3 Likes

Urien: “What the-??!? @DAEMOS!!!”

Urien: “I, Urien, am the universe of truth! I will erase whatever fantasies lies in the minds of the foolish scrubs that dare challenge ME!! That also includes Gill! Acknowledge me, @Daemos!! ACKNOWLEDGE ME!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

[spoiler]
Why does it seem like it has been eons ago sense I saw you, man?
[/spoiler]

3 Likes

Seems like 26 September at TGS we will see something new, capcom will have a sfv dedicated moment

Curious to see if we get some preview of the new mechanic

1 Like

Wondering if for Darkstalkers 4, Capcom will also remove all the gorey stuff. I remember there was a lot of blood, some creepy sprites/animations, you could split your opponent in half and let’s not forget Jedah’s powers were changed into manipulation of some purple goop (it looked so lame).

To be fair, I was actually more used to the “white blood” censorship in the arcades I found as well as the home ports (same with Guilty Gear), but I think the game simply won’t be the same from before.

Why so much self-censorship now? I get they’re trying to reach the wider audience possible but it didn’t seem to be a problem before. Killer Instinct for Xbox One removed the “Fatalities” from the original games too, I remember.

SF2 is the prime and iconic, SFA is the fleshed out version and the most followed because the sprites appearing in multiple franchise. While SF4 and SF5 is the modern reiteration version.

It’s kinda like modern trends lately even with some KOF characters are even gender swap into females.

We don’t know how long will this fad would continue, but it is for sure that it’s not getting old as of now because of how the costume contest had turned into.

To reach wider audience, and I have heard that japan has strong censorship nowadays.

What was SNES Killer Instinct’s original rating?

Did the rating guidelines become stricter in some point? post-9/11?

It’s cute you think that’s ever going to happen.

5 Likes

Killer Instinct classic was rated T when it first came out. Compared to MK at the time, their finishers were tame and it was really for all the blood they would lose during a fight.

But when it was rereleased for Xbox One, it changed up to an M rating despite being unchanged. What can be fine twenty years ago wouldn’t fly so well today. It’s the reason Jedah doesn’t use blood anymore otherwise it would be an automatic M.

1 Like

What was Darkstalkers Collection rating? It had censorship?

EDIT: I’m seeing it was T-rated. It had RED blood (unlike some PlayStation ports that featured white blood).
But Felicia and Morrigan’s artwork was (hilariously) censored.

1 Like

We’ll probably get an in-depth look at Dan. He’s suppose to drop in fall.

2 Likes

I’m still wacky enough to think Captain Commando has a chance of returning someday, so there’s no way I’m giving up on Darkstalkers.

It looks like Jedah HAD been censored before.

I honestily never noticed.

It’s just McVI Jedah’s goop looks way too stupid.