Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

Let’s not forget that the early SFII games (even the HD Remix version of those games) had some blood and vomit when you hit the fighters with a heavy attack. Certainly not as excessive as what MK does now, but that (other than the animated movies) was the last time any kind of edginess was showcased in Street Fighter.

Now, they even censor FANG for killing that one scientist lady.

Part of me does wish we’d see a little realism to the characters in future SF games. Of course, keep the cartoony and caricature style that gives SF it’s charm. But I wouldn’t mind some battle damage, or even a little blood and/or sweat flying off from heavy hits (kind of like Dead or Alive’s Breaking Blow idea).

I don’t think it’ll happen. I think SF has gone too cartoony and clean to be able to do something like that again.

1 Like

Isn’t there like some neck-snapping action in a few Cammy, Elf, Ibuki moves?

Well, last censorship of violence was on R. Mika’s Critical because it seemed “too violent” that she and Nadeshiko pulled the thighs of the enemy apart.

I miss the post battle portraits where you see that the characters were beaten severely. Easily the thing I miss the most about Street Fighter.

6 Likes

Agreed. The victory portraits were uniquely satisfying.

SFIII took it a step further in the vanilaa version by having the beaten up loser be more in the foreground than the winner of the fight looking down on them.

5 Likes

I really hate this, it breaks what the SF impression supposed to be.

2 Likes

I mean, if you’re gonna cherry pick out the worst one, sure.

But I much prefer the cool win poses over a picture of someone crying and bloody. I’d rather celebrate victory than glorify humiliation.

10 Likes

Seconded.

2 Likes

That’s fair. Very rarely does the winners interact with losers anymore, but when they do, the character’s victory animations are true to their character: Urien (SFV), Necalli (SFV), Oni (SFIV).

3 Likes

I’m kinda greedy and want both hah. I wouldn’t mind this:

SF5 win poses full of flair, we then do the points/results stuff. It freeze frames and goes to grey scale as a fancy defeat portrait appears next to the winner. “Stage/ Bout X cleared, onto the next challenger!”.
Proceed to fancy new map and plane scene.

I’d limit this to arcade mode. Kinda wanna do a mock up to explain my idea better.

1 Like

I’m a guy with this kind of attention in to detail and wants things to be consistent as possible. Yet it’s not a nitpick because it is the most random and unnecessary to be done so it stands out the most. it’s even intentional not a mistake, It was there to give a perspective that break the immersion.

because it really breaks the impression not just birdie but the whole logic.along with the physics and etc.

What you’re saying reminds me of what Guilty Gear Xrd did.

You would get a win animation as soon as the fight was over and then it would show an image with the defeated player shown and the winner in the background triumphant.

4 Likes

Well, SF4 did have lose poses for the continue countdown in Arcade mode. But the characters only looked defeated. They weren’t all bruised and bloody.

I don’t like the idea of too much blood in SF, but in SF3 Kinu handled it perfectly

It gave the full violence of the fight, but staying inside the game’s anime soul
It will work even with less blood, because the true power of these pics it’s in the expression and pose

Ever found cool how these pieces reveal characters personality also in defeat (just as in victory), instead defeat being just about being a dropped body
You see Alex surprise in his strenght failing him, Dudley’s pride broken, Yun like a kid that got an harsh lesson, Ryu still stoic in defeat just like in victory

This approach tells a story, shows that in a fight you ever learn something… it’s not about the result, a defeat can teach just as much (if not much more) than a victory

Ever found it more deep inside what kind of experience fight is, rather than one goes down like dead (essentially disappearing) and only the winner experience something

Ryu, the game hero does’nt go around to win and raise the punch because it make him feel cool.
Win or lose he want know others (and doing it, himself) through the fight
If anything defeats are to Ryu more important than wins.
Most of his progress and motivations are linked to a loss… just watch ASF/SFV

Defeat is very important in SF universe

PS: I did NOT liked this
immagine
though, i get the joke (prettyboy Ken get face smashed till he’s no more pretty) but it lose elegance all other pieces had

4 Likes

But having both was the true essence of Street Fighter.

1 Like

Street Fighter is absolutely family friendly for anyone that isn’t a giant baby

2 Likes

Have you seen social media these days…

Social media is a cesspool where a massively small minority shrieks 24-7 because they’re miserable, self-loathing lunatics that should be in an asylum. Something like 90% of social media posts come from like 4% of the user base.

I could care less what they say :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooh, yeah, that’d work!

Ah, I forgot, it’s been ages since I last played it.

I assume “true” means “how SF2 did it”.

But how SF2 did it doesn’t mean best.

So…not families.

1 Like

I for one quite enjoy the battered picture of the loser. It was a street fight after all

5 Likes