Miðgarðsorm Presents The Street Fighter V Story Thread

USFIV really tarnished Elena’s reputation. I hope that doesn’t stop her from appearing in 6.

Thing is, Capcom selects only the countries that are truly “culturally famous”.

Like Mexico, China, Brazil, Spain, Russia; they have very recognizable cultural elements (and martial arts associated, sort of).

Kenya is of course a stand-in for the rest of Africa, which -fair or not- is perceived as culturally homogenous for most people.

Same happens with most of Europe. I remember the infamous “SSF2Fan” in the GameFAQs message boards, that he wanted there to be characters from Ukraine, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands…

well, most of those countries, in the eyes of the regular person, have “nothing special”, to be truth.

I also remember how the “Latin America team” from KOF XIV was 3 characters from Brazil, LOL (Mexico had its own team).

I think there’s a middle way that could benefit SF variety

Example dude is obviously full of shit trying to sell his fan fiction

Sven (Sweden)
Inga (Denmark)
Olaf (Norway)
+
Wladyslav (Poland)

Yeah, not going to happen
You never got a scandinavian char in SF, you’re not going to get 3 scandinavians (+1 pretty close) as new characters LOL

Well at least he tried sneak male italian in, gotta give him that

And yes, nobody care (or should care) about belgium. Good beer, great chocolate, hot girls though.

But on other hand pretend no char could come from scandinavian area as if is some totally unknow land is stupid on the other extreme

The whole nordic/viking culture is well known and something SF can easily pick up, for one char of course
If anything SFV almost had a norse char, Momotaru (yeah name needs a change lol), but got slot stolen by Birdie (good, Momotaru sucked)

As for Netherlands Japan (or at least Capcom, who seem to have some fighting sport culture) know well it due being one of the most important nation of the world for kickboxing, and Japan was the owner of the #1 league K1, of wich Capcom was a sponsor too

Sometimes SF is just retard at these things, the fact itself took them up to SF4 (and not even base cast) to get the Juri as Korea/TaeKwonDo rep is absurd

Then could be added they just stopped care about the nationality anymore
SFV already got characters from actual places, but they insist with unknown/vague bullshit

Necalli-Mexico <- clear
Rashid-UAE <- stage
Kolin-Ukraine <- symbol on her militar jacket based on Kiev coat of arms
Fang-China
Falke-Germany (you need to be special shit to made up “in her part of shadaloo camp they speak german” LOL)

It’s not that hard, and for most part is not audience fault regardless of how much “regular person” may be ignorant

Meanwhile S5 at the moment is

Japan
Italy
Japan
Japan
-??? -

1 Like

Should have just made Abel from the netherlands. Even has the dutch flag on his default costume :wink:

Edit: he actually LOOKs dutch as well

1 Like

I mean, he still IS called Mike in Japan. They’ve never changed what the M stood for.

1 Like

Re-reading all that shit, the scary thing was how many things SSF2Fan was actually right for Street Fighter V:

• A character named Laura was introduced
  • An Egyptian character was introduced
  • An Abraham Lincoln-based character appeared

O.O

1 Like

Yeah, but becoming cultually famous is pretty easy these days. Pacific Islanders went from 0-100 just from Moana coming out.

Now you see things like the haka dance showing up all over pop culture.

I can see one of those tribal characters you mention being a part of Street Fighter in the future.
In fact, I thought Necalli could be a New Zealander when it was revealed.

I also agree that they probably don’t need to focus too much on nationalities to bring new characters. They could be some archetypes, for example a fighting clown (I had the idea for a clown that could extend his/her limbs like Dhalsim and breath fire also like Dhalsim) or a pirate (SNK did it good with B. Jenet).

Effie could become playable, who knows.

She wouldn’t be the only SF3’s NPC that ended up becoming playable.

I think there was a rumor back in the USF4 days where they said Ibuki’s friend Seirah could be the final character.

2 Likes

Same. Especially after the reveal of the New Zealand stage, I thought for sure Necalli was going to be Maori.

I support it just cause it gives Necro a good tag team partner.

Of course, as I don’t support modern/sci-fi weapons, that chainsaw is a no for me. Replace it with a cleaver or machete or some other psycho-themed tool.

1 Like

Same here, would have been cool if Nec was just an hardcore maori warrior

One thing does’nt exclude the other, it would just take capcom to stop spam jap/usa or worse fucking “unknown” as birthplace for characters

Tbh i hope not, Nadeshiko like gimmick as Necro’s supporter would be ideal imho

I think those “unknowns” are basically to save face as a backdoor to make sure they don’t “offend” the countries they’re trying to represent sort of.

I think I don’t like tag teams where both characters have similar gameplays.

Maki, for example, was a sorts of Guy’s replacement for CvS2.

Doesn’t really work for me.

i’m sure in most recent cases it’s the reason, i still wish they can somehow grow a pair of balls and keep do SF like SF is ever been

I think it’s not a big deal. I mean…

A big deal is that they can’t include a Tibetan character because China’s controversies and such.

That’s a shame :confused:

I think players who don’t like learning multiple characters would love it.

Ryu+Ken is the ultimate flowchart team!

But seriously though, gameplay arguments against the teams are pointless, because if you care about the gameplay, you don’t have to pick a canon team.

Yeah. Arguing is pointless. Ryu and Ken as well as Juni and Juli have been official and canonic tag teams.

I think Ken+Sean and Ryu+Oro are more likely nowadays probably, though.

I think, prior to Laura being introduced, I had Sagat+Oro and Sean+Rufus.

“Team Obsessed with Ryu” and “Team Obsessed With Ken”.

But yeah, I’m Team Matsuda all the way now.

That’s actually not even my most up-to-date chart, but I’m waiting on a new Akira sprite to finish the latest version.

Sakura+Akira?

Nah, Makoto+Akira. Both Japanese Highschool Tomboys.

1 Like

You could argue Sakura (and Karin at a lesser extent) is a tomboy too.

Tag teams in future SF games ?

I wonder what partner could Juri have.

They gave her Bison in SFxTekken and i found that incredibly dumb but oh well that’s not canon anyway.

Who now ? Seth ? Based on their win quotes in SFV idk…

Juri to Seth : “haha look at you ,nothing but a pile of scrap”
Seth to Juri : “you will work for me and only me”

Juri cba with Seth but Seth still wants her to work for him. So i guess it’s maybe a possibility ?

Other than that i can see Juri with maybe Kolin or Viper idk…