Metreon Tilt Thread (Formerly Official Portal One @ Metreon Thread)

Tourney @ P1

Ok the tournament info has be posted in the Tourney & Events Section found here: http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3334580#post3334580

Also check out our flyer for the event:

omg if the arcarde(tilt) near where i live(fairfield) had Mvc2 and Cvs2 for 25 cents it would be heaven. i wouldnt know what to do, maybe run around in the mall naked because i was so excited. i gotta check out SFSU next time im down there,which will prolly be when LoveFest happens.

oOOo free play during tourney? me like… tourny at P1 sounds pretty cool as long as the sticks decent. im not too good in CvS2 anyway, thats why i stick to K groove… just defend -->720 super FTW (raiden pwns):lovin:

Yeah…if Portal wasn’t totally trying to be a space-age arcade or something, I’d actually be down to ride the bart out there to play games. Card system’s gotta go, prices gotta go down, sticks must be fixed. But all that’s been said already. Definite props to P1 Arcade for getting the ball rolling…if you can bring Portal back from the depths of Overpriced-ness and competition-less-ness, you will be a hero. If not, you’ll still be a hero for being the only guy that is trying. Heck, if you can get the arcade to lower its prices, why not talk to the restaurants about lowering prices too? :lol: :lol:

I’d come and watch but i’m going to be in Vegas wedding. I wouldn’t enter though I can understand the flat rate for EVO with the cost of renting the space. However I don’t see the point of chargeing the flat rate when the arcade really isn’t going to be taken a hit with all the people playing the other games you guys have.

you know, I recall a few years back I applied for the manager position at portal 1, I always wondered what ever became of that position…:sweat:

If you guys happen to get vf5 youd get automatic regulars…

This is true. 3s and VF5… I dunno if Id ever leave. :rofl:

Too bad sega isn’t going to export virtual fighter 5 anywhere. Play in japan.

If the games are on free play $5 dosen’t sound too bad.

lol… Haunts whats up ya makoto gotten any better?
SFSU semester will be starting soon. Those fool CRACK like knocks off the 3rd Strike.

Shinobi00: tha PORTAL is almost always empty I don’t think free will hurt there profits. There are more games to play besides the ones for the turny I’m sure those games can cover the cost (as high as a single game is).

That is a very good way of putting it.

Anyways, yeah, just change these three things and I think the arcade will attract more gamers. They are the reason I went to this arcade a couple of times and got so frustrated that I haven’t been back:

• lower prices to .50 or less

• no more card system; use tokens

• use US standard arcade button layout

replace KoF2000 with GGXX Slash:wgrin:

yo Jeff… yeah went to rack n cue this friday and met up with everyone. I still need practice! im still way crusty. haha. the last time I played was like 2 months ago at SVGL. :looney:

oh well, gonna try to be down there every friday now (SFSU) and hopefully at metron if they get a 3s cab.

YOU FREAKING OWNED ME AT 3rd Strike AT THAT TOURNY!!! haha just wanted to spaz out a little.

Us getting VF5 would be awesome but as Shinobi stated it doesn’t look like it’s coming state side.

For those curious about the controls for the tourney; they WILL be working. We’ll have new sticks n buttons to insure that they are in working order.

Its ok, get Tekken 5: DR instead of VF5… more people in US play Tekken then VF hands down… new sticks and buttons for CvS2 MvC2 Sc3 and VF4: Evo sounds good… hope they are US standard layouts and not the spread apart layout…

I agree ^^^

tekken sux(launch fu ftl):arazz: jkin

Ok heres a BIG WELL KEPT SECRET to getting lots of people at Portal 1… have CvS2, MvC2, Sc3, Tekken5:DR, and 3s… all with 25¢ to start/continue and all with good buttons/layouts/sticks… have those games close to each other and not across the room from each other… like have a section just for fighting games… that would equal instant success.

Prices Dropped

Actually Bohnett we’ve already been discussing game moves around our venue and trying to recreate another fighting wall of sorts like we used to have.

For all those that asked for lower prices it’s official we’ve lowered nearly all our games any where from 12-50%. So for fighters, they’re reg price now 75pts (0.75, w/o bonus) with the exception of SC3 it dropped from 150pts to 100pts. IF you take advantage of our $40 cards (gives $32 in bonus) games at 75pts come out to be a little over $0.40 at reg price. REMEMBER Mon-Fri before 5pm games are half off meaning most of the fighters are $0.21/game if you buy the $40 card (about 38pts = $0.38 w/o bonus).

So I know it’s not dirty cheap but we’re trying to find a happy median.
Also support the tourney to show that they changes have not gone for not. :tup:

Your target market of people that play fighters are either workers, college students, or late high school students.

Of the three, the people that are most likely able to be able to drop $40 at once on coin-operated video games (workers) will not be able to take advantage of the half-price cost of games before 5pm. Even if they could, who would they play, computer?

Granted $0.21 a game is lucrative, there are a few issues:

1. I for one work part time and are a full time student…I feel I speak for most when I say I can’t just reach in my pocket and pull out $40 to spend on video games. If I reach into my pocket and see $5-$10… I’d do a comparison, given the price of public transportation/gas, I’d want to travel the least amount to get some games in. Not even to mention the cost of parking at Metreon… also we can’t forget :

2. COMP! Even if I could pay a quarter per game if I had the means ($40) … who else would be there? If I wanted to play against the computer I would stay home and practice execution on console. “tell someone to meet you there.” … I would, if everyone else wasnt as broke as I was and are also looking to go the most cost-effective way. When I walk in to the arcade at SFSU, there is ALWAYS someone there to COMPETITIVELY play against.

P1 Arcade i’m not trying to bash you or your attempts to listen to the community or anything, in fact I appreciate it. I just don’t know if you’re aware that your target market isn’t … (if i had to take a guess) even 50-60% college graduates and/or young professionals.

It’s a nice deal, but bottom line is many of us can’t afford it.

Also, you would have to religiously maintain your machines. AFAIK, the machines at SFSU are serviced weekly. And Poolboss is always listening to how/where/what on the machines need to get looked at.

What you DO have are two solid days of the week … well one and a half (Saturday and Sunday) … with no other reputable arcade within 30 miles of you. (Short of crossing the bridge) We here in SF have nowhere to go on Saturday after 4pm.

The next best option for us on the weekends are usually the Golflands.

I didn’t read the whole thread so I might be repeating certain things, but thanks for reading.