Maj quits and thanks eventhubs for stealing!

Yeah. Trying to commit to a routine of a combo vid per day and an article once a week, while also maintaining 2 sites is just too much.
If I were him I’d post content only when I feel like it and won’t burn myself out.

And of course you cannot expect the amount of exposure to match the quality.
I mean, you can work your ass off and post an amazing video on youtube and get like 2000 views if you are lucky, and then DSP makes a sandwich and gets 20 times more views. (I mention this because he did complain in the past about youtube promoting shitty non relevant “first look” videos over quality ones)

"You know, someone actually had the audacity to complain about a John Choi strategy article on SRK last month, because i guess he didn?t want to take advice from a top player who hadn?t won a recent tournament. I?ve had the same reaction to a few of my strategy articles."
Reading this made me really sad/angry. Why do knowledgeable figures like Maj and Choi even bother with a disrespectful crowd of a shitty game?

That’s why Maj should stop giving a s**t about SF4 and write/talk/create contect about the games he likes more.(I’m sure SF4 is no one’s favorite game)
Maybe he’ll be happier with a more niche corner.

This is pretty silly too. You can’t enforce who reposts content. If an individual disagrees with the way a fighting game site conducts itself, that person can not go to that site, and maybe encourage others not to, but lets not get absurd here.

Ahaha, don’t take me too literally here. I just think that it’s good for people to stop and try to think about their actions a bit, and how those actions effect the “community.”

this is a sad day. Granted i only found Maj’s site on June but it has some amazing stuff there, I love reading his articles and watching his combo vids, plus I’ve read his footsie handbook like a million times.

Hopefully Maj will figure this out and be back posting stuff again soon, you will be missed man.

I’m not too fond of EventHubs because they do seem to rip off info from a lot of other sites. Not to mention that its members have the collective IQ of an retarded amoeba. That said, I visit it everyday because as someone mentioned earlier, why visit 10 different sites when you can just go to 1 or 2? So yeah, even though I think they need more original, good content (take a page out of IPW’s and SRK’s books…), I still appreciate the service that they provide. I do think that EH (and IPW, SRK etc) should refrain from embedding vids and link to the content creator’s site instead though. But then again, if they don’t, someone else will. As the saying goes, when it’s on the internet, it’s on the internet.

I don’t think this is the last we’ll hear from Maj though. At least I hope not. People who are passionate about certain things will usually find themselves drawn toward them time and time again.

Maj should start putting all his videos on DVD and selling them to all the people that really want them. I’d be willing to guess that probably 90% of the people that view his vids on SRK or EH just go “Oh cool combo” and call it a day. There are some people that would probably be willing to buy Maj’s content out of a real genuine interest. I just don’t think its very likely that one person could turn combo vids and articles into a secure revenue stream, with or without other news sites “stealing” the content. I’d be willing to buy a Maj DVD or even a series of DVDs, but you gotta admit it is still a really niche genre.

I’m not gonna get caught up in whatever drama this is. I’m gonna say this; Maj has always been an asset to the community. To have him want to walk fucking sucks.

There has always been an abundance of people on this site who want to argue with, rather than converse with, top players and people who want to put out info to promote the overall skill level of the community. People wanting to argue for argument’s sake really drove off a lot of posting and discussion that top players gave. The only person that posted consistently through those years was Viscant.

Lately we’ve seen a resurgence of all around incredible info, but now we’re starting to see the argumentative mother fuckers come out of the wood work to fuck shit up for everybody else.

That kind of shit really needs to stop. If SRK is supposed to be a place where people can all discuss strategies and tactics, people have to be willing to be wrong. On both sides.

Sorry to see you bail, Maj. Props to you.

sigh… 2010’er

I’ve never read any of your guides, so i can’t comment on them for sure. But your friend IS a thief.

That said, if FPS’s weren’t on their way out, I bet eventhubs would have catered more to them than SF4 players. So in the end, it seems like a flavor-of-the-moment kind of site that probably won’t be around once the SF4 craze dies down.

And if people who write the guides/record the videos don’t want them on EH, couldn’t they just put a disclaimer the way they do on GameFAQS?

Do not make claims without substantiating them.

And if you have a problem with content representation or you feel that credit is not being given deservedly you can just contact CT as his email is on the front page. I’ve only been helping EH out for the past year, but I never recall articles being linked or videos being embedded without credit given. If that system is a problem, it needs to be talked about seriously as Eventhubs is not the only site that does that.

EDIT: I think Eventhubs will fade away after fighting games die off.

The system is a problem.

Check this out. It’s a front page SRK post today, linking to content put up by another site. Note that Keits doesn’t give you the whole article, he merely gives you a preview and directs you to the place where the original content can be found. SRK gets traffic, and so does the original publisher of the content. It’s win-win.

The problem with EventHubs is when you have a brand new vid from Sonic Hurricane, and EH embeds it on their page - now, there’s no reason to go to SH. Just watch it at EH, done. EH gets all the hits from the brand new SH vid, and the guy who made the video gets none, and that’s the problem. Yeah, EH does give credit, but the vast majority of people are going to be content to just watch the embed and never ever go to SH.

EH is really good at compiling info. So good that they have become a source. When I see news on SF4 or MvC3 on sites like MTV’s gaming blog, Joystiq, Siliconera, etc., at the bottom they usually credit EH. That’s how widespread EH has become, but that kind of hurts everyone else because now people just go to EH and don’t bother with the other sites. When I used to translate the SF4 blog, sometimes I’d see in my Google news feed stories from other sites about the blog post that I translated. But when a site like 1UP or Joystiq carried the story, they quoted getting the news from EH, EH gave me credit - but Joystiq readers probably aren’t going to EH, they got their news from Joystiq and they’re happy with that. I get lost in translation. I did the blogs not for profit but because I wanted others to be able to read them, so I don’t care if the interwebs credits me or not, but if there was a potential for money loss in there I might be bothered by it. I did the blogs in free time at work - Maj devotes quite a bit of time and his effort to his work, and has to depend on that for money - so when the money loss kicks in, it can be quite painful.

Couldn’t Maj disable Youtube embedding for his Sonic Hurricane videos, forcing the user to go to YT directly to view them?

I understand very well what you had to say. The only part I disagreed with is when you compared interviews to videos. As far as I remember, Eventhubs follows the same system where they only post a snippet of the interview, but then ask people to go to the link in the story to read the rest. For videos, EH is not the only group who does this, even the front page of SRK (Along with IPW) embeds the video and posts a link to the channel/user. If this does change in the future, all the aggregation of video content for FGs has to change too.

The real question is, if someone links to the link of the link to the original content, how do you preserve that credit to your site if you want to make money? The only answer I can think of is to just protect it somehow, but you can’t protect your content if you’re releasing it into the public domain constantly.

Checking the pages of eventhubs, and man they steal pretty much everything they post. I mean, why do they even exist? The answer is simple: Blatant cash grab.

As long as success exists, there will always be someone trying to siphon some profit off of it. Eventhubs is just another leech in the system. Smart business, I guess, until you inevitably start killing off the content you’re leeching. Then you have to go find some fresh blood to suck.

^_-;

Galactic stole what i was going to say. I hate you.

Maj got a gold stick. All the proof I need of how awesome he was to the community, and why he should be dearly missed if he chooses to quit permanently.

I’m sorry to hear this Maj, I really am.

Somehow I hope things work out for you, but it is disheartening to see how things have become.

At some points I’m not even proud to be part of this community anymore.

It’s funny reading the comments those eventscrubs post.

It’s basically stream monster type post.

Well, I just really like that sites at least spread to people who don’t play our games and convert them to fighting game players. If you are doing it for the money, then you should receive every penny you deserve, but if you do it non profit, like my videos, we only care to share an appreciation to the games we love. But yes, if EH is wrongfully treating Maj, please fix the problem, because he deserves to be compensated for all his hard work.