M. Bison ftw (Dictator Thread)

Try drumbing the punch buttons.

DR is a lot more useful now that I can at least somewhat control it but I’m getting owned by shotos and honda tonight when they jump in my jmp and st lp lose almost every time and chun jumping close at me is annoying too but at least I’m getting a tiny bit better jumping straight up over slow fb’s.

For shotos, cr. fp that shit when they jump in, do it late. It’s my single favorite normal in all of ST, because Dictator looks like a big pimp chillin’ and then he glow fists the shit out of that little mark Ryu.

Maybe everyone knows this, but if you are in a mirror match with another Dic and he keeps spamming fierce psychos, you will win on damage if you block and then st. RH him after he crosses over.

Wait until you’ve developed some corner traps and terrorized someone in the corner for part of a round. That’s where Dictator goes from being quirky to being crack. You’ll fiend for that situation again. :wink:

Zerojay: sometimes s.strong and fierce can work for sloppy jump ins. I’ve had a few occasions where someone prematurely jumps, allowing me to back up (before they attack and I wind up stuck in block), s.strong/fierce. Look for jump.towards strong as well. I usually land this juggle the most as a ghetto ass anti-air (if you see me randomly do this while you’re still on the ground, I probably tried to second guess you and was wrong).

Also consider fake sliding out if possible. I’m surprised how slippery that move can make Dictator.

Link to Devil’s Reverse/Headstomp information for O.G. ST.

My experience Vs. Guile: YES on rh trade with SB’s. Keep s.forward in mind also for better recovery. If you have a Guile that always opens with sonic boom, knee press should shut that shit up right away if timed right*. Good Guiles won’t stand for that shit and create distance (or put you on defense right away). You can sometimes sneak in a HS once he’s backed off, but he is often charging downback at that point and flashkick will usually gg that shit as well. My successful matches tend to be when I keep him within S.RH range and fake him into whiffed flashes (short DR…start a trap sequence then stop where I think he’ll try a reverse…etc.).

*Maybe I am seeing things, but are characters starting off a tad further back? In O.G. ST I can time s.roundhouse to come out right at round start to stuff predicted start up projectiles. I could at least tap them if they blocked right away (it does whiff in other circumstances…but I am just saying). In HD Remix, I am having a HELL of a time making it tap even opening blockers. Am I the only one seeing this? This is why I’ve had to rely on knee press for some opening moves.

I am wondering if people start farther apart too, it seems like in vanilla ST opening the round with St. RH is hella meaty, whereas in remix it seems like just the TIP of his boot will hit people…

I don’t know, it seems the same to me. When I fight shotos online it seems like the kick is deeper, but that’s because they most likely tried to psychic hotline their SRK and fucked up the execution.

Oh, and about the fake slide and using it for more than throwing. You can actually do some sneaky shit with it. A couple of times I’ve done it from outside a range where a throw would be possible, and they thought it was a slide, so they blocked, and I did a crossup. Also, I’ve been using it to run away from jump ins. The quick recovery will sometimes let you start your pressure game again after they land.

To improve my pressure game and reacting to jump ins rather than running, I’m going to play for a couple of days without using Dictator’s specials…see how that pans out. Right now I have a really bad habit of using the wrong strength Knee Press. That shit has gotten me killed on a couple of occasions. :sad:

Does anyone have any idea how to fight Honda without getting raped?

Good question. Gotta be super fucking patient, that’s for sure. New standing jab definitely helps, but getting in on him with that damn torpedo can be a bitch. On the plus side, jumping mp seems to beat a whole lot of his stuff in the air. On the downside, he’s probably not gonna be in the air too much. Haven’t had much success myself as of yet, but I generally don’t charge much unless I get a good chance to do some corner/wakeup pressure. Standing mk works decently well for footsies, but it seems to lose/trade too much with torpedoes; that’s definitely not a trade I’m willing to go for. Hopefully someone else has some more useful info.

I am losing to ochios even when I am inside it seems, and also the HHS seems way better than ever, do you just need to duck it now?

I can’t say this is all legit, but I’ll tell ya what works for me. First off, I play this match much more like super old-school Chun than you’d normally play him. In other words jump around a lot, do hit and run tactics, and generally be random as hell.

Straight up jumping roundhouse(And maybe MP now?) against his buttslams works well. It also works well to counter other air moves and if you do it late you can hit his head on the way down when he’s on the ground. When you’re both on the ground, spam st.LP to beat his torpedo. Also, do a bunch of LP psycho crushers from max distance so that you just barely hit him at the end of it to rack up chip damage. Throw in the occasional head stomp and devils reverse to keep him guessing.

Once you do enough hit and run tactics on him, it might annoy him enough to try to do a FP torpedo so he can get close to you. Jump over this so you cross him up and do a fancy combo for dizzy and win.

If he gets close to you, be patient. Look for your opening and either FP psycho crusher to the other side of the screen or jump out of there. Speaking of which, jumping MK as an instant overhead can work well to get out of trouble and often hits for a bit of damage to boost.

Basically, I play the match with nothing but shenanigans and random pokes. I dont know if this would work against really good hondas, but it works against a lot of 'em :wgrin:

Here’s what I try to do…

1. Stand at the other side of the screen.
  2. Mash st.Jab to beat headbutts
  3. Psycho Crusher Hands on reaction
  4. j.Strong jumpins/butt stomp on reaction (I have no idea if j.Strong will beat all his jumpins, but st.Jab and jump up RH should help with any others)
  5. If he walks towards you, st.RH, or fake slide -> throw if you’re feeling daring.
  6. Above all else STAY THE HELL AWAY! Headstomp -> fly to the other side or Devil’s Reverse if he starts getting remotely close.

If you end up behind in life… then it gets pretty hard.

Definitely great to cover all that. I’m not too worried about winning vs Honda when I’m ahead, though, just when he is. Good stuff, guys. :tup:

Yeah, only time I’m actually trying to get in is if I’m behind in life. It’s just way too easy to eat an ochio if you accidentally leave a gap/try for a tick throw.

When behind on life I’ve had the most success by getting into max st.RH range and whoring the hell out of st.RH and Jab Psycho Crusher. Jab Psycho Crusher is safe, does chip (obviously) and beats hands and headbutt when fully extended. Hopefully you can tag him for a random knockdown and then you can go from there (crossup -> whatever). Once again you can go for the risky fake slide -> throw from that range also.

My 2 worst matchups so far:

Guile - if he’s played defensively, hiding behind his sonic boom at a proper range, it’s really hard. The only thing I seem capable of doing is HS on reaction, and even so, there are times I’m too slow and eat a flashkick for my troubles. His overhead guessing game shenanigans doesn’t help anything either. I try and trade s.rh with his sonic boom, and eventually try to bait some shit flashkicks, but this doesn’t work against patient Guiles.

E. Honda - timing s.jab to pop him out of torpedo is still tough. Maybe once I master that, it opens up a bit. Until then, I keep hoping for him to start hands from too far to allow for easy j.rh s.lk c.mk xx scissors and win.

Any tips versus Akuma are also welcome - s.hp doesn’t seem to beat Akuma’s j.rh stupid priority. Help?

It’s a really hard match until you see how st lp beats out headbut lol now jmp buts buttslam so I play runaway in this matchup like I do with geif .

Your advice made that soooo easy if he lariats I slide if he jumps i fierce pc to the other side of the screen and throwing out st mk is really good too.

Yeah my boy narcissuscaesar has one of if not the best guile online and I can’t touch him with bison I have the same problem when guile turtles not to mention I fall for the occasional walkup throw after sb.

So tough matchups include:
Akuma
Guile (only when he turtles though, hahaha)
Honda
Dhalsim (or is this just me?)

Roughly even matchups:
Boxer
Blanka
Sagat
Deejay (leaning towards tough though)

Easier matchups:
Vega (claw)
Shotos
Zangief

I am not sure where Chun goes, probably in the middle

You don’t need to time it, just mash

jab anti-air works amazingly well for Sagats that j. RH spam, I assume it works the same except for vega too, but I have to fight a vega first (hella rare online). I think late cr. fierce is better against shotos though.

Chun is a huge pain in the ass in general. Once she gets close and starts the pressure, you’re kinda fucked without a super. On the plus side, headstomp beats out her uppers clean and she can have issues sometimes with anti-airing jump-ins.

Also, I think that jump straight up short should beat Sim’s limbs most of the time. Still a very annoying matchup, though. I kind of wonder if jump straight up mp would be a viable option now since it’ll give a knockdown.

My anti-airing skills with j.Strong are patchy at best. Can anyone give a summary of which characters I should NOT try to do this on?