iPhone, anyone?

For anybody who wanted an Iphone, but didn’t want to pay any termination fees for their “other” provider… not your problem anymore.
[media=youtube]VrLIGYC86gY&NR=1[/media]**

Jive Out!

Can you give me some recs on those?

I want to pick one of these up, but still debating the switch from Sprint to ATT. Is it worth is and what’s your review considering it has been out for some time now…

i just got an iphone and i jailbroke mine. anyone done the same?

anyone recommend any good apps? i got summerboard and i have no idea what it does.

Summerboard allows you to add wallpaper and themes to your Springboard (or Apple’s name for your iPhone’s “desktop” – aka where all your icons are). The original (Apple) “Set As Wallpaper” option in Photos only allows you to add a wallpaper to the lock screen.

As for recommended apps. Springboard has a limitation of 42/44 icons. Any further apps you install after that will not have respective icons show up. If you intend on having over 42/44 apps, I recommend you install Dock, but it will have a small sunburst at the bottom-right corner of your screen which is not movable. Meaning it’s really inconveniently close to your Enter key when you are using the keyboard.

Recommended Apps are: NES Emulator (latest update works smoother now), Mobile Finder, BSD Subsystem (needed to get other apps to work), Apollo (Instant Messaging), BitchX (IRC Client), SSH (to get your NES ROMs and PDFs on your iPhone), PDF Viewer, etc. etc. Basically whatever you want to use your iPhone for.

For NES Emulator, it’s more of a novelty than anything. I recommend RPGs or slow paced games. I tried playing Ninja Gaiden and it was not as responsive as I would have liked, making it very difficult to play.

There are other apps like MobileCast if you are into podcasts and don’t want to keep syncing with iTunes for your latest episodes. Apps that allow you to use your camera as a barcode reader, but I don’t know how useful that is outside Japan really…

Hope that helps.

man i wish they will crack the latest firmware so i can drive down to buffalo and get one =(

How do you jailbreak the iphone i just got one for Christmas thanx in advance.

what is this “jailbreak” business? i’m on the fence between getting a tilt/8925 and the iphone. how easy is it to put all of these programs on your ipod and will your phone be bricked if you want to install the newest apple update?

NOTE: Mods, I’m not putting links in case this is not the type of information we can put on these boards. If this is still too much information, I apologize in advance and please edit my post accordingly.

It’s really easy to do. Just point your iPhone browser (safari) to jailbreakme.com and scroll down to “Install AppSnapp” (This link is only viewable via iPhone’s Mobile Safari, if you check it by your computer you will not see the link, but you can access the FAQ for more info before you try, if you like.) It will run a TIFF exploit in Safari which will allow Installer.app to be installed. This will all be done automatically and the TIFF exploit will also be patched upon completion. This needs to be done on 1.1.1 firmware. Though it is a simple matter to “restore” your iPhone or downgrade from 1.1.2 if you have upgraded already (ie google “iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw” and download the restore file from Apple – Control-Click “Restore” in iTunes to allow you to Browse for the restore file). Once you’ve installed AppSnapp, it’s a simple matter to install apps on your iPhone or iPod Touch. You just pick from a list from within Installer.app. Very easy.

Your iPhone will not be bricked if you upgrade to 1.1.2 but you need to install OktoPrep first. This is found within Installer.app and is very simple. You may need to run some further jailbreaking software (ie. google “1.1.2-jailbreak.zip”) but it is very straightforward.

Apparently 1.1.3 firmware has been leaked but more than likely a matter of time until something is released to allow you to upgrade safely.

As far as I know, if you “brick” your phone, you just restore the firmware and try again. Though it is very difficult to brick your phone using this method. Before you had to set up SSH and FTP into your phone but now AppSnapp has been improved and makes things super-simple.

I look at the iPhone/iPod Touch like the original xbox. Cool but not THAT amazing in and of itself but when you unlock it’s potential (like XBMC with the xbox) it’s a great device that you will get a lot of use out of.

Hope that helps!

hey thanks a lot man! summerboard didn’t work because i didn’t have BSD subsystem in mine.

i just got iComic in mine as long as all the emulators… damn i’m really glad i bought this!

I would recommend that everyone not jailbreak their ipod touch/phones, because doing so voids your warranty and you could possibly end up bricking your device. In February, Apple will release software developer kits for people to use and basically add apps and whatnot to your device. Don’t risk it, just wait till February…

SDK Info

[media=youtube]S6TXoYxB-tY&feature=related"[/media]

^ u can always restore it to normal if you wanted to so i don’t think it’s that big of deal. if you paid 400 bucks for your iphone, why not get the most of it now?

I’ll just wait until February… There really isn’t any rush, and the last this i’d want to do is waste the $500 I spent on the touch…

Watched the video, the guy doesn’t Control-Click Restore, so he is unable to load an old firmware. He tries to go through the normal Apple “restore and update” option which will not fix a “bricked” iPhone/iPod Touch. The notes says he downgraded to 1.1.1 before he did this. Cannot confirm if he did or not. If he actually did (which I doubt somehow), then he would know to Control-Click Restore – unless he is a total n00b and didn’t do enough research before trying to jailbreak his iPod Touch. I assume he fucked up trying to jailbreak it manually. I don’t know what he tried to do previous to the video so I can’t really comment, that’s just my opinion.

That said, it’s still good advice to wait and see what develops. I’ve heard of the SDK and the 1.1.3 firmware update. Let’s see if it’s as good as we hope. In the meantime I’ve already jailbroken mine and I am enjoying the added functionality.

I leave it up to the individual to decide if they should go ahead and jailbreak their device or wait and see what develops. Just wanted to say that according to my research it is a simple matter to restore to factory-fresh if you do end up “bricking” your system or want to go back to “legit” to enjoy what the SDK has to offer. I can’t think of any reason why new apps made with the SDK will not work with a jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch, worst-case scenario they might need some patches installed first??? shrug

If I buy music on itunes, will the song I purchased somehow get to my hard drive? I don’t want to buy music that I can’t use on other shit… or lost it through some weird synch…

any word if there’s a new iphone comming this year?

Theres only one thing stoppin’ me from getting an iphone; NO INSURANCE :lame:

So if you break it, you keep paying for it for two years and still buy another phone.

Iphone is nice and all but 16gigs is what kills it for me until they have at least 60gigs (yes yes i know what flash memory is ) i’ll stick to my ipod video+shitty verizon cell.

You can get single item insurance from State Farm.

You can bring your iPhone to the Mac Geniuses.