Interrogation! The Phoenix Wright Question And Answer Thread

Nope.

Hello, all. I have made a team consisting of Nemesis (Launcher Slam)/Wright (Press the Witness)/Strange (Eye of Agamotto). This team is obviously centered around Nick.
I was wondering if I should change anything with this team.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Switch out Nemesis or Strange. That team has no good anchor. =/

Um, any suggestion on who I should switch Strange with? I used him as an anchor.

idk, Dorm maybe. =/

Sup genshiken. Can you go into detail on your gameplan? That woud help give some more direct suggestions.

Though following on what view said, Nemesis can work fine on point imo, you can keep him on board. Nice DHC into Maya and assist to protect Wright, plus he can take a lot of damage. Though I agree that Strange isn’t all that great as an anchor.

Here are a few anchor effective characters at the top of my head with helpful assists for your team: Amaterasu (cold star), Doom (any), Dormammu (pillar, darkhole), Hiryu (vajra), Dante (jam session), Vergil (rapid slash i think it’s called? it’s the assist that pushes back), Skrull (tenderizer), Wesker (samurai edge)

Sorry about being vague. Um, I do use Nemesis on point and to protect Nick. For all intents and purposes, I AM a noob, so I don’t have much of a gameplan.
^^||

Okay. Since you’re going with Nemesis here’s a pretty basic setup I once toyed with when I was kinda playing him with Wright:

Nemesis (Slam) / Wright (Missile) / Sentinel (Drones):
Nemesis + Sentinel drones is pretty effective, it covers the screen and helps keep you spaced from your opponent while you attempt to fish for a grab/hit since Nemesis works best mid-range. It’s a pretty basic, one-dimensional setup, but hey it gets the job done - you don’t need to get much hits with Nemesis to kill off anyone. When I was using this setup I had Wright with Invincible Press the Witness to also help fend off rushdown characters then grab from the wall bounce, so unless you want to stick with the wall bounce you can switch up with Missile for unblockable setups.

When Wright’s on point, not only does drones act as a good anti-air, but it’s good for locking your opponent and comboing off it/picking up evidence. Since most people will just rush Wright, sometimes you can anticipate this by pulling out Maya shield + Drones in time > combo into Judge super or (if in Trial mode w/ 3 good evidence) combo into Objection. In Trial/Turnabout mode drones also help for more effective zoning.

Sentinel as an anchor isn’t so bad, it can be hard for him to get the first hit but once he gets it you’re done. Keep in mind though that in XF3 he’s susceptible to being waited out on, so watch out for when your opponent starts to run away and be careful with how you approach them. His hitbox is huge so that by default puts him at a disadvantage against a good portion of the cast.

You should check out the team thread though, there are a bunch of other Nemesis/Wright setups which you can use as a base to further build your team.

Hope that helps.

Idk if this is the place to ask, but how do you determine whether an attack is safe on block or not? I’ve been reading this +14/-5/etc stuff but can’t seem to understand it… This is especially important with a character such as Wright.

Here’s my interpretation on frame data. (If it helps)

Generally if something is a plus on hit/guard it’s safe for example Wright’s Press the Witness is plus 14 when guarded meaning the opponent has to wait out 14 frames before he or she can take action again and you have the advantage because you can still take action while the opponent is waiting those 14 frames.

For negatives it depends on the move but it means you have to wait a certain amount of frames before you can do another action, if the opponent has a faster move you’ll get punished.

Ranges:
0-5: Most of the time the move is safe unless if the opponent advance guards correctly, for example Wright’s standing H in investigation mode looks like it can be punished visually but according to the frame data unless if the opponent has a move faster than 4 frames of recovery you’ll be safe.

6-10: Generally unsafe since it can be punished by :l: or faster moves depending on the character and if they advance guard or not.

10 and above: Unsafe, like Wright’s “hold it!” on block the opponent will have 18 frames to punish you unless if they do a really slow attack that’s longer than 18 frames.

Ah, I see. so basically the less +X frames the safer is the move, because the opponent cannot do anything until those frames pass. And that’s why moves with more frames shouldn’t be used outside of combos, because you’ll be stuck in that animation for that amount.

Actually, (Unless if I’m misreading forgive me) the ranges in I wrote in the last page were meant for negatives on block, but yeah if a move has +/Plus X frames the greater the number is the safer it is and the moves with - (minus) frames the greater it the more unsafe it is.

Ah, got it now. That makes much sense.

Yo how do you guys deal with chris zoning out wright?
Like those flame grenades, open fire…doom assist…etc.

shield doesn’t really seem to help me and I can’t projectile back so I usually just send in strider and hope he doesn’t get tagged.

Also…going for air grabs…does anyone use it? Air grabs seem like a much more guaranteed way of collecting evidence(especially with maya/evidence plink) and I kinda prefer it rather than blocking high low mix ups given the chance.

If Chris is doing superjump upback what I do is dash forward then collect evidence and call my assist to combat any assist he calls. Otherwise I would just crouch and use shield and stay away from grenades.

Air grabs is something that should be done all the time with Wright since his normals are so bad and hard knockdown status benefits him extremely well. I didn’t airgrab that much with characters before but since maining Wright I’ve had to step up my airgrab game a lot.

hmm I guess I ought to learn better timing to call in shield/assists.

What assists do you use btw? I play Nemesis/PW/Strider.

I depend on maya super/shield + Vajra to collect evidence.
Who would you recommend to replace nemesis for a better assist? I’m currently learning Dante for his jam session. But I feel like my team is weak to zoners, and depends on lvl3xf ouroboros strider to combat zoning teams.

Depends which team I use with PW (I’m always changing which characters I’m using with him) but the assists I use are Arthur daggers, Hawkeye’s triple arrows, Doom missiles (sometimes beam), Hulk AA gamma charge and Haggar Lariat. I think against horizontal zoning plasma beam will be the best bet since it comes out fast and has high durability, but Arthur daggers with Arthur in golden armor eat up EVERYTHING, but you have to spend a bar for it. Triple arrow is good because it’s really fast, and missile is good if you have shield out since that stops them from pushing buttons.

As for replacing nemesis, I think Dante is a good choice actually because of his teleport, as well as any other teleport character, but you can combat zoning with more zoning with Hawkeye and Doom fairly well, and all these characters benefit off of the Strider assist.

Ahh alright the thing with arthur makes me wanna try out golden hsein-ko :stuck_out_tongue:

OH and one more thing, is there anything good I can do against an opponent in xf holding back? I dunno if it’s worth the risk to dash up close to try to get a low hit…or just tag out?

If you play as Vergil Rapid Slash is a amazing assist for Nick.

I would for for grab or low. Use some evidence to help back to up. Cellphone and Folder should help, maybe Knife.

I really wish another character had an assist as good as rapid slash. Its fast, semi-invincible, has a HUGE hitbox, spinning knockdown, and on block pushes opponent into the opposite corner. However I despise Vergil and refuse to play as him.