Interrogation! The Phoenix Wright Question And Answer Thread

Rapid slash eh? Never tried Vergil but I’ll give him a shot. I JUST got the hang of Dante’s plink flashy combo’s finally >____>

There any one out there who’s actually succeeded with Feenie in a tournament setting, or even online? I was discouraged once his assist got nerfed, and even more when people were (as in more than 1 opponent!)** letting me get into turnabout mode. **But after seeing Kusoru do what he did I was curious if there’s a Phoenix Wright player out there doing well–we just haven’t heard of him yet?

Poltergust who’s on this board, has had some good success with his PW team.

Chris G. I believe has also done well with his PW team, though I dunno how often he plays it.

Did anyone ever get the timing down for plinking maya(the whole call maya grab evidence thing)?

I can only do it at random it seems lol.

Edit:

GUYS, i think i figured it out. Try doing a tiger knee motion instead of the standard fireball motion.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAha6y_gds&feature=youtu.be#t=0m16s

Yeah, but Chris G used that team when the game had just come out right? Against players he knew he was going to win against anyway?

Eh, it was prepatch that’s for sure. And I think at this point he dropped Wright a whiles back, the center of that team was Morrigan.

Following up on your original post: You should hang around more in the video thread. IReidYou, Phampy and Kagato (have not watched his yet) have posted a number of their successful Wright online plays. Russell doesn’t post here anymore but when he did he often shared his success with his Wright team. And idk wth happened to that vid from FGTVLive, but there was an amazing Wright online player that went by the name of ResonenceEq who was wrecking shit. As for offline like thumbtack already said, there is Poltergust who has taken 1st and 2nd in local tourneys, and ChrisG taking 1st at Big Two.

I think after a while users on twitchtv remove their archives which is why a lot of my footage on Honzo’s channel gets removed after a while. I’ve played PW in casuals at tournaments before and do reasonably well with him, even enough to beat Chrisis’s other teams fairly consistently. His main team is too hard though. But yeah, obviously casuals don’t get recorded and I tried using PW once at my first UMvC3 tourney last week and lost a game and didn’t want to risk playing him again and losing the set lol. I might go to another tourney soon and I might try PW out again, but we’ll see.

be aware that rapid slash is best used at probably mid range or so as an assist. i use vergil rapid slash on my team for the reason of creating space and calling it when the opp is too close vergil just rushes past and the slashes dont actually hit. it can be jumped over as well so i might even recommend calling it seperatly from maya shield since opp will most likely be trying to jump over it.

A friend of mine said FlashMetroid tried using Wright and MODOK (he remembers it happening on one of Flash’s streams, most likely pre-nerf). Does anybody know what he had to say about that pairing?

How durable is paperworks as an assist?
Also how good is it when powered up?

What projectiles will it stop?

Paperworks as an assist has decent durability but beam projectiles (except Magneto’s :l: beam) will usually destroy it, powered up I think it’s durability is increased a bit, chip damage is pretty good if you can get close enough, paper assist is only good for zoning characters or characters like Wolverine.

As for what it beats I’m basing this on characters that you may commonly see in tourneys,sessions, and online.

.Akuma: Fireballs
.Captain America: Shied Slash
.Doom:Photon Shot, Missiles
.Dormammu’s: :f::h: (the needle looking projectile)
.Hawkeye: Triple Arrows, Net Arrow
.Nova: Energy Javelins
.Magneto: Disruptor :l: Magnetic Blast
.Morrigan: Soul Fist/Drain
.Sentinel: Drones (Needs timing otherwise papers would disappear before destroy one.)
.Taskmaster: Single arrows, triple arrows will need timing to destroy with papers.
.Trish: Low Voltage, Round Trip.
.Vergil: Round Trip, Judgement Cut
.Wesker: Gunshots
.Zero: Hangekis, Buster (Though needs good timing as in when the paper’s hitboxes are close together)

Well hopefully that helps in some way, experiment further if desired.

What do you guys do against opponents who air-dash to run away while you’re in Trial and Turnabout mode?

In trial mode spam your evidence. Wright’s evidence projectiles are rather decent and have reasonable durability. Paperwork isn’t bad against airdashing either. Also make sure to mix up your evidence when zoning. All too often, for instance, Wright players will only use Cellphone and the opponent will easily avoid it by chicken hopping or airdashing around. Wait for the moment when they will be near the ground and use a horizontal piece of evidence like the photo or watch to keep them locked down for the cellphone to connect. Try to avoid super jumping in and going for Objection over and over. This is very predictable and a good player will have no problem avoiding you especially with an airdash character who undoubtedly has much better mobility than Wright. Because there is no timer in Trial mode, you have no reason to worry about wasting time and eventually an airdash character will probably rush you down if you just keep up the lame game. Try to punish their airdashes with your objection at this point or start a combo especially if Maya is protecting you. If you get a moment to breathe, don’t be afraid to switch back to investigation mode and put up the Maya shield or use her H slide. The slide imho is a very underrated move as it is a virtually unstoppable low and if they ever start approaching from the ground they will have no choice but to block it or get hit. Don’t forget that Wright’s hypers are very good. You can Order in the Court if they get too crazy with the rushdown thanks to the invincibility or use the Maya hyper to push them out if you want to zone more. With turnabout things are a little trickier. Obviously you want to get in quickly if you can because you don’t want to waste a lot of turnabout time and go back to Investigation mode. Your main options are to spam cellphone and/or vase if you have them, super jump up and H if they are low enough, wait for them to come down and set up the unblockable with the Maya hyper, or if you are really desperate use PW’s level 3. You can’t block while airdashing and only MODOK can block while flying so if they are flying around up there odds are Ace Attorney will hit them. One thing to keep in mind is that Wright’s dash speed is much better in Turnabout mode than his other modes and you might be able to get away with wavedashing underneath your opponent to screw up their inputs so they can’t fly correctly. Also the vase evidence causes very very good lockdown on characters that want to jump up and helps a lot in keeping characters like Doom and Magneto honest while they are grounded. This is just my 2 cents on the matter though

I forgot to mention in case you didn’t know, if they decide to come back down to the ground and try to zone you, Wright may be able to use his cr. L attack to avoid the projectile completely. Wright can completely duck under Doom’s plasma beam for instance with his cr. L

First of all thanks for the tips on countering air-dashers, it helped quite a bit,
Secondly I confirmed that you indeed can avoid Doom’s Plasma Beam with Investigation cr. L and cr. H, Trial cr. L, Turnabout cr. L and Turnabout cr. H completely nullifies the beam if you time it right. I haven’t tested any other projectiles on whether you can completely avoid them or not.

No problem glad I could help :slight_smile: Ya there are other projectiles he can avoid. Hawkeye’s triple arrow for instance he can duck under with his cr. L. Also both Sentinel’s standing and crouching H attacks. I am sure there are others but don’t expect it to work against everyone. Some projectiles, Magneto’s disrupter for instance, go low enough to hit Wright even if he does his Cr. L. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.