How to Squash Your Meat: Hugo Match Up Thread

Elbow is a nice answer to most of her pokes, as long as you get the timing.’

the trouble comes when she starts being clever, and launching her slow fireballs then attacking from behind them.

Also, some of her jump-in normals will beat every version of BB, save for EX. some of your BB’s might “trade” with her, doing no damage but knocking her out of the air(not a knockdown though) but it still ends in her favor because she did damage and you didn’t.

EX meter is gonna be hard to come by, because you won’t be able to get your hands on her much, but EX lariat is good a lot of the time because of chun’s habit of throwing out random pokes. when she’s coming in at you behind a fireball, try to time your lariat to the last possible second she’ll be in range of you before you release, for best odds of knocking her out of her move.

Apply backbreakers liberally.

Adon is used to being able to hop around for free, so make him uncomfortable By grabbing his jaguar kicks

And remember: U2 has absolutely ridiculous range. watch him begin to panic when he realizes you can punish his random jumps from half screen away.

Forget trying to play footsies with her.

like Scratchback said, her hitbox is weird and her moves are ambiguous. trying to play the neutral game is playing to her favor, not yours.

rush her down. get in her face and throw out St.HP to catch her pokes. EX lariat is your friend as well, because most Elenas seem to prefer to dash and sway rather than block.

U2 isn’t going to be a lot of use here, because most decent Elenas won’t be jumping much. instead stock U1 so you can get a max punish once you get her panicking.

Elena has like, no frame advantage on her normals, this a match to consider churning during blockstrings.

Ultra1/SPD all jaguar kicks on block

in this match up the most important thing to differentiate is air jaguar kicks from ground jaguar kicks while you have no meter, air jaguar kicks do not break armor so you can stand fierce at will. the way you tell the 2 apart is air jaguar kick adon will just let out a yell, ground he will just say jaguar kick. why i say learning to tell the 2 apart is the most important, is because if you let adon get in on you, you are going to have to eat easy fuzzy guard/low mix ups until you guess right or die.

I asked for a few stickies, let’s see

You can Ultra punish EX knee and low step kick on block (both -1).

I think after the recent update EX TK is 0 on block.

I been here awhile and that how they use to do the match up threads. they never use to make 40 separate post. But if that what you want. I won’t waiste time updating this thread just link it I guess to the other ones. cause it seem no one is playing hugo anyway or trying to contribute.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/190521/how-to-squash-your-meat-the-definitive-master-matchup-thread

Will the OP of the secondary threads have to update their first post with all of the consolidated info in the match up thread?

Punishes:
Mix Up Roll is Punishable by Ultra Throw.
Light Wheel Kick up Close Punishable by S/C.Light Kick xx H.Giant Palm Bomber,M.Giant Palm Bomber,L.Giant Palm Bomber Or Other Various C.Light Kick Combo.
M. And Heavy Wheel Kick Also punishable by Shootdown Backbreaker or H.CLAP xx Backbreaker

Heavy Kick Shootdown Backbreaker All Jaguar Kicks as soon as he hit the wall for free punishes.
Risen Jaguar on Block Punish by 360 Throw

No, the point of the secondary threads is that they will actually be short enough to read and go through, or at least skim.

All of the relevant info for the given match up is in one place, neat and concise, with no unwanted stuff between. No match up thread is ever going to get to 70 pages because the same questions won’t be asked over and over again due to being lost pages back…

This matchup has been hell for me so far. Ex lariat absorbs s.hp but chun recovers in time to block.

Chun has the ability to push you into the corner with little risk with s.hk/s.hp

High priority air normals = ex bb aa or block. Elbow will aa j.hk, mixed results for j.hp-hp.

Chun u1 punishes almost all your shit.

I find myself doing yolo ex meatsquasher/lariats to get in.

I’ve learned the hard way that DeeJay’s wakeup EX legs can hit Hugo while he is crouching.

Will it direction auto correct?

Someone please help me with this match. I know trades are in my favor but idk how to deal with Hugo wake up options vs this char.

honestly, you cant try to play smart vs fuerte, if you see him running at you from full screen, do whatever you think is a good idea at the time, it cant be any worse than blocking. by trying to play the match up correctly, you are in fact playing it wrong. you kind of just have to try to go in.