Honda Safe Jump Setups, Fake Crossups and Unblockables + Vids

Gutabo hit it on the head, but i’d like to add that, setups also give you something else: respect. Although this isn’t always true, once someone notices that you CAN do a safe jump. When you jump in on them, they may be less likely to attempt a punish (e.g. your setup with cross-up mk), so you can open up your opponent more for simple mix-ups like empty jump throw, empty jump low etc. As with any fighting game you want to do your best to convert your advantages, so once you establish that you can do something they can do nothing about, you open other avenues of your gameplay strategy.

Keep in mind i know VERY little about Honda’s setups, but I’m familiar with the concept in general.

Midscreen off front throw honda has a setup with jump rh that is very ambiguous to block and makes dps whiff, problem is i cant figure how to time it precisely, as far as i can tell immediately after throw you move forward slightly (approx 3 squares in training room) then pause for a second and do jump rh. You can also use jump mk to hit behind at this range and that should beat reversal dp’s.

Atm its kinda of in exact although from i what i can tell its very effective against sagat and ken, it also works on ryu but seems harder to time.

hello, i’m collecting kara throw data for all of AE 2012’s characters, i don’t know how much of the information here is outdated, so i wanted to ask: what’s honda’s best kara throw?
all of the data will be compiled into a list including normal throw ranges, added ranges and kara throw ranges.

Got a hold of an xbox and a capturing device, I’ll have to update lots of stuff on the OP and on the youtube descriptions of these new vids but for now I’ll leave these to you guys:
Corner safe jump setup after a throw using taunt #3:

Midscreen Ambiguous Safe Jump Part 1: As A Crossup (18+ minutes long)

Midscreen Ambiguous Safe Jump Part 2: Not A Crossup

Corner Ambiguous Safe Jump: To Crossup Or Not To Crossup

Random Combos/Punishes (leftovers)

Yes I know all these should’ve been made 2 years ago, I’M SORRY :frowning:

More old stuff in new, clearer vids:

Sweep safe jump setup redone!

Fuzzy guard!

Wow, nice work, Gutabo !!. I like especially that combo on Guile: far st Lp xx M Hands - st Lp xx Ex Hb. That’s really good.

Thanks, it’s also a good way to push him to the corner (if he’s not already there) while making some nice damage;)
Fuzzy Guard Part two! (with leftovers from part 1:Viper, Adon and Juri) This one works on 29 characters(shotos included)! :smiley:

Once again thanks Gutabo for bringing the good stuff!

Unblockable on Seth:

Very nice. So for this UB we need to get Seth to the corner and need a throw…

Easiest Fake crossup EVER. Please try it and let me know if you have any problem doing it:

After Oicho OS shenanigans(great against slow wakeup reversals):

After Oicho OS shenanigans part two:

Some more videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrj286eVwAs (still uploading as I post this)

Also I would love some feedback about how easy/hard you think the setups are or if you’re having problems getting one particular setup to work. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Almost forgot to add, something has changed, I can’t tell exactly what but seems like some of the old unblockable/fake crossup setups are now harder to do and there’s new unblockable/fake crossup setups now, I still have to finish editing/uploading what I captured some weeks ago so bare with me until you see what I mean!

Whoa Gutabo! Great work!

Thank you so much! I’m sorry I didn’t do this before, I couldn’t get a capture card :frowning: Also thanks for not dropping Honda, can’t wait to see more of your sumo skills!

And to keep things going here are some more vids:
Corner Unblockable on Ibuki - After a Back Throw (better quality)

Corner Unblockable on Makoto - After a Back Throw (better quality)

Corner Unblockable on Guy - After a Back Throw (better quality)

Corner Unblockable on Gen - After a Back Throw (better quality)

Corner Unblockable on Seth - After a Back Throw

Corner Unblockable on Guile - After a Forward Throw

Corner Unblockable on Makoto - After a Forward Throw

Corner Fake Crossup - After a Forward Throw - Part 1

(this will take a bit longer to upload, it’s almost 14 minutes! 56% done as I post this message)

You can thank my mom, she came to visit and took care of my son for a while so I had some spare time to edit the above vids :smiley: Next time she comes I’ll update the OP… or maybe I’ll just edit more videos heh.

I’ve been doing that one setup for awhile now (midscreen front throw, stop sign back and forth, jump mk/hk). But I could never figure out the timing vs Ryu until I just saw your video. Thanks!

I’ve been doing the same thing of front throw midscreen except ive just been walking forward a tiny bit, works really well, people eating jump rh in the face all day, great you figured the timings for all this stuff, ive been making it up myself for ages, Another couple id like to see are off midcreen and corner super, Honda has a safejump off midcreen super but i cant figure how to time it and he gets an ambiguous fake cross up thing off corner super but again i have no proper timings lol.

Great work Gutabo.

Edit, yo hoodaman you remember me?, we played a finals of one of the mini tourney’s they had at evo 2011, longest match ever lol. Most legit honda mirror i ever played haha.

You’re very welcome! I’m sure you already know this but for everyone else with that setup there are optimal timings for many characters, i.e. you can stuff chun li’s reversal ex sbk but it’s hard stuff(just frame timings) and too character specific to be useful I guess.

Thanks man! There are setups for both situations but they are not perfect(there’s still some “manual” timing involved) and, more surprisingly, I don’t really know why but after a super(point blank or not, midscreen or not) characters get up at completely different timings. I’ve already captured setups for them and I’m already editing some of it, in fact I’m like 90% done on the first midscreen super vid that’s shaping up to be about 17 minutes long. It features the biggest group of characters(roughly half the cast) that gets up at the same time after a super midscreen. I don’t want to spoil it so I won’t say more…

Real life stuff sucks tho(my PC does too) so it takes even longer to edit videos and not having a console makes me dependant on a friend’s time to capture batches of stuff from time to time. You will notice I won’t even include the hand cams anymore, those were a chore to do and even tho I tried to include them in all my videos I quickly had to drop the idea, otherwise I would still be editing most of the videos I’ve already uploaded without the hand cams. I still have more videos to edit/upload and two more honda “projects” to do so stay tuned! :smiley:

EDIT: And I forgot to include this video on the last batch I uploaded: Viper corner unblockable after a back throw

Timing is hard, it’s similar to the guile unblockable but a bit later.

Yea man! That was a ridiculously stacked side tourney and somehow ended up with 2 Honda’s in Grand Finals LOL!

I got some nasty fake crossups after Super in the corner. Against Sagat and Seth. Dash 3x then jumping RH. No one has ever blocked it yet.