Honda Safe Jump Setups, Fake Crossups and Unblockables + Vids

This is amazing, you sir are doing the lords work. I learned something today! :open_mouth:

Whoa, Mr.SNK,thanks! Also thanks for the sticky!(awwww yeeaaaaa) :smiley: Itā€™s a shame I got sidetracked with IRL stuff. I hope you find some of this stuff helpful and that it helps you(and the honda army) get more wins!

Hey guys, since i kinda got into unblockables with my alt Gen, i found that you can practice/test unblockables if you record a dummy holding back. Since you canā€™t set the dummy to auto-block since it cheats/just frame blocks. It might also be helpful to note how easy it is to human block your unblockable setups. From what I read, some unblockables have hitboxes that are really good, so itā€™s very hard to impossible to just-frame block them, versus others.

I think two to compare would be Genā€™s unblockable versus the twins against akumaā€™s unblockable j.lk in the corner (i donā€™t have much experience with it but i hear itā€™s a bitch). Ken has one too.

Thanks again for sharing all of the safe jump setups. It helped a lot! But I was wondering if its possible to do a safe jump with honda without using a throw, instead using a knockdown such as cr.HK or an ochiyo throw. Or are his moves to slow to compensate? Or would the best thing to do after a knockdown is bait out a reversal then punish?

Also I noticed with the #3 safe jump setup, at least with AE 2012 if I used HK instead of HP with Ryu it would tradeā€¦is this really the case or am I doing it incorrectly?

I found this today, donā€™t know if anyone has posted it yet. (corner only) super (doesnā€™t matter how you combo into it) wiff fierce ochio, jf.forwad - It will crossup and you cannot autocorect DP with ryu and probably the other shotos although i havenā€™t texted it, on top of this he canā€™t use cr.forward to go under it.

Thanks to you too! About a setup using a sweep, check setup #5. An oicho throw does not give you enough time to do a safe jump afterwards, sadly. And Iā€™ll get the ver.2012 soon and Iā€™ll test all the setups on it.

Nice! Actually, going by frames, itā€™s almost the same as my backdash + c.MP setup but IIRC(Iā€™m still at work, lol) your setup has (I think) a frame less but itā€™s easier than mine, Iā€™ll test it this weekend and Iā€™ll get back to you ASAP!

Also Iā€™ve noticed that Mr. SNK is doing after U1 a backdash and a jump forward, I want to test that too! Seems like it might have too many frames to be a real safe jump but it might be a ā€œsafest safe jumpā€(so most reversal attacks go the wrong way) or a good way to set up ambiguous jumping attacks(like, if itā€™s an early jumping attack it wonā€™t crossup but if itā€™s a deep jumping attack it will crossup) or fake crossupsā€¦ Canā€™t wait to test it! I can only hope that he found his inspiration for that in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeahā€¦I felt Like a noob when I realized you already have setup #5 and the ochiyo notesā€¦whoops. Thanks for clearing that up. And I canā€™t wait to see what you guys find out. Here here for Honda Technology :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgY7oxXJj94

Iā€™ve finished a video showing some of these safe jumps in action, this video very much goes hand in hand with the thread and all of the credit goes to gutabo and his sick work.

[media=youtube]F8trQUje-W4[/media]

Sorry for taking soo long to answer this but I couldnā€™t test it before. It still works, most likely you were doing it wrong. I tested it with all shotos and it still works with all of them(and the rest of the cast). Because of its range, jumping HP stuffs more light SRKs tho.

Nice vid! Honda has plenty of frametraps against late techers thoā€¦ I posted a bunch here(with more stuff regarding Hondaā€™s kicks):

Warning: donā€™t use against SRK/SPD mashers!

Whoa dude. Just because you warned me beforehand doesnā€™t mean I wasnā€™t blown away! Thank you so much! Also youā€™ve given me the motivation to finish editing all the vids I did last year and post them to complete the data!

Thank you for your kind words, i only hope i did your work justice mate. Cheers again for letting me use your setups!

Amazing work mate ! The unblocable VS Ryu is definitely a great tool !

I canā€™t really us it in real match because I never use the normal throw. I should add this technology to my Hondaā€¦

Thanks for this thread Gutabo !

YES!!! I love this ish man. I NEVER look at matchups and/or safe jump setups so you can only imagine my struggles with this one dimensional character. I love using Honda because he has so many bad matchups and he fits my personal play style, but it is a up-hill battle most of the time, for me.

Quick question though, this still works in AE 2012 right?

e honda is my favorite play besides rye. thanks for the video

Yeah, it all works in AE 2012, you just have to add Goukenā€™ super and Dudleyā€™s HP Jet Upper to the moves that canā€™t be safe jumped.

Sorry for the delay in adding content and replying in general, Iā€™ve had my hands full with this wonderful thing:
http://i.imgur.com/CgMRhs.jpg

Oh shit man congratulations! All these honda players having babies!

Congrats man!!!

awwww!!

I hope some of you guys can help me out with this aspect because this is something I feel is really lacking from my game.

It seems that most of the safe jumps are very situation-dependant, and require for the most part being in the corner after landing a throw. Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong. I noticed you provided a list of the other moves and possible set ups that can occur from there, it just seems like the majority of them are after throws in the corner.

Someone has explained to me that the moves added in while the opponent is laying on the ground is to ensure that your timing is 100% perfect. Does this not make it obvious to your opponent that you are going for a safe jump? Or does it not matter because it is a safe jump and no matter what they do you canā€™t get hurt?

Is the idea of the safe jump to make your opponent whiff a move and allow you to punish, or is it to actually hit them with the jumping mk/hp/hk? or both?

The way I have been playing up until now is when I land an oicho throw, I will do a cross up mk but I have noticed a lot of characters can punish this, in fact, maybe all of them? I feel like certain characters cant. Is this a bad habit to get into? I noticed you wrote ā€œtoo few frames to be a safe jumpā€ so now I am kind of worried about it even though I have found a lot of success in using the technique. I find you are too close to whiff a command grab and build meter from that range and wakeup time. However, after a throw, you have lots of time to whiff a command grab and build meter, do you think its more advantageous to go for the safe jump and potentially do damage?

this is a lot to take in, I wonder what the best way for me to adapt this all into my gameplay is. I really like the look of that first one, Neutral Jump HK from a backthrow into the corner, I feel like I get that set up more frequently. It just seems hard to remember all of the normals you need to to inbetween to get perfect timingsā€¦ I normally just do timings from ā€œsenseā€ā€¦ I am a musician I am really used to playing by feel and not necessarily always hitting notes or buttons in this case but it seems this is why people utilize plinks as well to 100% ensure they will hit the correct timing. Also trying to remember every single character that these set ups work on seems like a lot to remember too!

Hey man youā€™re lucky I was just checking the forums! :smiley: I have something cooking that hopefully Iā€™ll post soonā€¦

Most(if not all) safe jumps require a hard knockdown and Honda has very few of those. Safe jumps are not limited to corner situations but most of them require a throw. Yes, fake crossups and unblockables do require a throw towards the corner to be practical. There are more unlisted fake crossup/unblockable setups midscreen that are not really practical at all hence the ā€œnot listedā€ part. Whatā€™s listed is what can be used consistently (and abused) with the correct timing.

Yes, they are a huge ā€œthis is a safe jumpā€ sign and in most cases they canā€™t do anything about it. Thatā€™s the inherent nature of safe jumps in this game, as you can see at the beginning of the OP. Opponents can try to evade the pressure using a backdash, focus absorb then backdash, blocked anti air focus attack dash cancelā€¦ and then you can option select s.HK/throw/dash or jump(both require a read) but youā€™re putting them under (mostly)safe pressure. You can get hurt by 3 frame attacks, still active special throws with strike invincibility and some supers/ultras, I have listed most of them in the (unfinished, soon to be finished lol)fake crossup section. But the important thing is that you can keep a dominant position and force the opponent to make a mistake or guess, and even mix the safe jump with option selects. Honda has poor option selects without charge tho(and arguably even with charge). More below.

Well, you wonā€™t be hitting a decent opponent with a safe jump unless itā€™s an ambiguous/fake crossup(or an unblockable). The general idea is to keep pressure with the lowest risk possible while doing(or trying to do) some damage. Meter being burned by the opponent while trying to escape is a bonus.

Yes, itā€™s a bad habit. That crossup will whiff against most of the cast and they have lots of time to anti air you(exactly 19 frames). Your success doing that is proportional to your opponentā€™s matchup knowledge(or input lag, lol). Whiffed oicho is 50 frames, that means that after an oicho youā€™re giving the opponent 24 frames to punish you so thatā€™s a no-no. I used to go for safe jumps whenever I could, mixing it up with oichos and baits so my advice would be to keep the pressure going. I might be wrong in some situations/against some matchups tho!

Iā€™m also a musician! Thereā€™s nothing intuitive in most links so blame the game for that! You can look at them as frame math and try one setup at a time. Hell, take only the ones you are going to use, Iā€™ve seen people mostly using the forward throw one(with c.MK) and the back throw one(with c.MP), in either case both midscreen and in the corner. They are not needed at all, theyā€™re just a tool you can use if you can add them into your gameplan/strategies. Look at all the good hondas that donā€™t use/need them at all! Altho If you use them while youā€™re playing in a stream Iā€™m watching youā€™re going to make me smile :smiley:

Iā€™ll be doing some long overdue updates soon if my son lets me :wink: