Honda Safe Jump Setups, Fake Crossups and Unblockables + Vids

Greetings fellow Honda players, it’s been a while!

Some time ago(back when I was playing the game), I was looking for foolproof ways of getting safe jumps with the sumo wrestler. I came up with a bunch of stuff that I’m sure lots of you know but maybe some of you don’t, thing is I haven’t seen it posted here yet so here I go(but I’m positive I’ve read at least one of these setups somewhere here).

There’s an excellent safe jump post by 3nigmat1c and even if it’s balrog-focused, much of it applies to everyone.

Some safe jump pointers here

Spoiler

[LIST]
[]Most safe jumps won’t work against reversal special attacks with a 3 frame(or less) startup, like most shoto shoryukens, some supers and ultras. That’s just how the SF4 engine works.
[
]A safe jump setup should work with all the cast except for Sagat, Cammy and Blanka, since they take a frame(or two, in Blanka’s case) more to wakeup. SSF4 Adon took 7 frames less than everyone else to wakeup(yeah, WTF), in AE that’s no longer the case.
[]Also some special/super/ultra throws with strike invincibility can avoid the safe jump attack and grab you out of your recovery frames on landing. Some anti air super/ultra throws will do the same. It’s good to study that data whether you stick to Honda or not.
[
]Safe jumps can be escaped using backdashes, FADC(absorbing the jump in hit and then dashing), counters or teleporting/EX rolling away. You should be ready for that and all the character specific escapes/reversals attacks. Option selects are handy on most cases, altho Honda does not shine on that department.
[/LIST]

I’ll go right through the setups but I have to warn you guys that this is a WIP and everyone is welcome to correct me(and my english) at anytime.

#1 - (opponent in corner) regular throw, dash, c.MP, neutral jump HK
VIDEO HERE

It’s a regular safe jump setup, you can mash the dash, plink the c.MP and hold the neutral jump. If Ibuki, **Gen **and **Guy **do nothing, the nj.HK will miss, but if they block/crouch/whatever it’ll connect. Yeah, funky hitboxes… You have to replace the c.MP with a standing MP for it to work with Sagat, Cammy and Dhalsim. And if you’re playing Super, replace the c.MP with a LK for Adon. Same principle can be applied mid screen for a regular throw, dash, c.MP, neutral jump into new jersey HP(drifting backwards) for 4 frame reversals and onwards. Due to the nature of most of the srk’s hitboxes if done properly it will “work” with 3 frame reversals but it won’t hit them out of their SRKs, you just will be able to block. Also with that setup variation if they do nothing or if they crouch the nj.HP won’t hit them. They have stand and block for it to connect. I found that in some tests there was a “sweet spot” while drifting mid air with the HP where Honda could block Ryu’s MP and EX SRKs but it could stuff his LP and HP SRKs, and it wouldn’t work the same against Akuma’s SRKs so it’s not that reliable if you want to hit them, still it’s a safe bait and it can be used on some people. You can use another variation miscreen too replacing the nj.HK with a nj.LP, but it’s not as effective, it’s harder to combo aftewards on reaction or OS anything. For most of these safe jump setups, you can block 3 frame reversals(shoryukens) if you don’t attack while in mid air. Finally, I thought for a long time that the setup was with a c.MK instead, lol.

#2 - (midscreen) regular throw, dash, c.MK, crossup jumping forwards MK
VIDEO HERE

Similar to the first setup(and its variations), its main drawback is that it doesn’t work on all the cast, it only works on:

• Ryu, Ken, Dudley, Seth, Gouken, Dan, Sakura, C.Viper, Bison, Cody, Hakan, Blanka(use s.MP instead of c.MK), Zangief, Rufus, El Fuerte, Vega, T. Hawk, Cammy(use c.MP instead of c.MK), Adon(if super/chocolate: use c.LK instead of c.MP)
  • On Ibuki, Dee Jay, Dhalsim the crossup whiffs if they do nothing or if they try to block it and it will only hit them if they crouch, but why would they block crouching a jump in?
  • Honda, Makoto, Akuma, Gen, Juri, Chun Li, Abel, Guy, Balrog, Fei Long, **Rose **and Sagat don’t even have to block it, since it will whiff on them even if they are crouching. It’s still a safe jump so if chars that it won’t work on try to wake up reversal honda you will be able to block it. Of course, for 3 frame reversals you must empty jump to try to bait and punish reversals.

#3 - (midscreen) back throw, s.MP, jumping forwards HP/HK
VIDEO HERE

Good news! for the back throw midscreen you have a really, really good safe jump setup for characters with regular wakeup time that even works against SRKs! Due to honda’s positioning, it’ll make ALL shoto SRKs whiff or be blocked. For Sagat, Cammy and Blanka replace the s.MP with a throw whiff. Rejoice!

#4 - (honda in corner) back throw, cs.MP, jumping forwards MK
VIDEO HERE

If you’re in the corner, a back throw will get you the best positioning(opponent in corner), but if for some wild reason you want to jump into the corner with a safe jump crossup(that works for every character with regular wakeup timing and with a 4 frame reversal and onwards) just go for this setup. It will hit everyone except Dhalsim(more on that on the post below) and the shotos(3 frames autocorrect SRK will get your arse everytime). As always, you can empty jump to bait and punish those SRKs but if you got them cornered I don’t see why you would want to try to bait something AND end up cornered at the same time but the option is there(well there’s one reason, read more about this on the post below). For Sagat, Cammy and Blanka replace the s.MP with a s.HK(it’ll be the close version too). Ibuki, **Guile **and Abel can jump up(yeah, wtf) and escape the crossup. This setup won’t work on Juri, Dhalsim or Fei Long.

#5 - (anywhere) sweep, c.LP, jumping forwards MK/HP/HK
VIDEO HERE

From a sweep you can use this setup. It’s better from a distance, since if you’re right next to the opponent you have to use a crossup and the crossup will only hit Ryu, Ken, Dudley, Seth, Gouken, Dan, Sakura, C.Viper, Bison, Cody, Hakan, Zangief, Rufus, El Fuerte, **Vega **and T. Hawk. The main use for this would be from max range to mid range(like, after a far focus) since you can go for a regular safe jumping HP/HK that works on anyone with regular wake up timing. It’s really not practical to go and try to get the specific range for a sweep into a crossup, it’s a character specific sweet spot.

#6 - (anywhere) many loosely timed variations
VIDEO HERE

If you feel like learning timings yourself, you can regular throw, dash, walk a bit backwards and forward jump into air MK. If you don’t want to crossup, you can backdash, walk forwards a little bit(or mash s.HK and then walk back a little bit) and jump forward +HP/HK for a non crossup safe jump. About the first one I mentioned: try to learn the timing first since the space you have to go back is character specific if you’re aiming for a crossup(i.e. a safe jump crossup on Guy won’t crossup Fei Long or will miss him entirely and will hit Zangief as a safe jump). You can learn the timings and make them work but it’s not an exact science like the other setups so keep that in mind.

MORE SETUPS:
I really shouldn’t be posting this since it needs more testing(like I said before) but here we go. For regular wakeup timing:

• Oicho: it gives you a hard knockdown of 26 frames. It’s too few to have a safe jump.
  • Super(midscreen): ok, things get ugly here. Assuming you land it on a grounded(not airborne) opponent, the best I have afterwards is jump forward, walk a liiiiitle bit or make a little pause, jump forward again +HP/HK. A variation that gives you a similar situation to the safe jump setup #3 is dash forward x2, walk a liitle bit forward, jumping forward HP. Both are hard timings to get consistently but practice makes perfection!
  • Super(near corner): After a super you can do a jump forward, the same tiny walk and a neutral jumping HK if you’re close enough. It all depends on how close you both are to the corner.
  • Super(corner): The most consistent setup I got is after super, backdash, c.MP, jumping forward HP/HK to keep the opponent in the corner. And if you wanna go for a crossup IIRC after a super, dash, c.HP and jump forwards MK will make many reversals whiff(character specific).
  • Ultra 1: this is easier since it always drags them into the corner. After ultra, c.MP, neutral jump will give you a so so safe jump, because at that range nj.HK whiffs on many characters. You can go for a nj.HP drifted backwards or a nj. LP. Each one has pros/cons I talked about in the safe jump setup #1. If you want a crossup tho(and to get yourself cornered), c.MP, forward jumping MK will work wonders. It’s a female dog to test anything ultra 1 related because the long animation eats up all the dummy recording time :frowning: BUT some fake crossup setups work here too!
  • Ultra 2: Depending on your screen position, a little walk forward/back into jumping MK/HK will do the trick. Yeah, no “real” setup, sorry, we need more frames there. You can do some not-so-safe stuff with MK/HK buttslam tho: if you cancel them from an overhead, since it moves Honda’s frame back before being active it also can make a MK buttslam(which is a crossup in that situation) NOT a crossup or to make a HK buttslam(which whiffs in that situation) to hit.
  • Overhead: the size of the opponent and its state (standing, crouching, attacking in most cases also modifies the hurtbox size) change the setup required for a safe jump. A crouching small opponent needs 2 very fast s.LKs and a jumping forward MK that might crossup or not(character specific). Depending on the size/state you have to switch the 2 s.LKs for a sc.HP(if you’re close enough for it to come out) or a whiffed throw.
  • Buttslam(second hit): they also depend on the opponent state/size at the moment the 2nd hit of the buttslam connects, but their main weakness is that if the opponent techs the wakeup, they are rendered useless. If the opponent forgets to tech against Abel after a c.LP xx EX buttslam(after HP/EX hands) you can do a dash, c.LP, jumping forward MK. In the same situation against Balrog after an EX buttslam(after HP hands) if he doesn’t tech you can do a c.HP into crossup j.MK, altho it will whiff if he crouches and does nothing(very rare). Against many other grounded opponents if you’re close enough after an EX buttslam you can do a c.HP, neutral jumping HK.

PS: I have nothing against Ken… he just makes an excellent test subject for safe jumps since he has 3 AND 4 frame shoryukens(LP, HP vs MP, EX).

Unblockables and Fake Crossups(or “Unblockables” or “reverse block”) Setups

Some stuff about just frame blocking and FADC escaping the setups

[details=Spoiler]I have tried to block the fake crossup setups and the unblockable setups many times, but seems like I suck at execution because I can’t just frame block any of them. However, that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done at all. Theory says they can be just frame blocked, so let’s go by that and not by my many attempts. Because it works for other similar unblockable setups with other characters it means it should work here too. Altho it’s really hard to do.

Also, all of the unblockables and fake crossups, as almost any other jumping attack, can be focus attack absorbed and dash canceled out of. This is not easy but it’s way more viable than the just frame stuff, and it can even be done with online lag involved. However, in most cases, if the dash input is made too fast, the opponent will (back)dash right back to Honda. Which, I’m sure I don’t have to tell you, can be heavily punished, so even while unblockables/fake crossups have a universal escape, it doesn’t mean that the danger is over for the opponent since they still have the (back)dash recovery to account for.[/details]

DISCLAIMER: When I say Unblockable, I mean an unblockable LIKE THIS ONE, not this fireball - FADC into ultra unblockable. And what I call Fake Crossup is a crossup jump in attack that you can only reverse block - i.e. block NOT as a crossup, altho the attack is going to crossup and leave honda behind the opponent in most cases. And by “in most cases” I mean that sometimes, depending on the character you’re doing the setups on, the attack will crossup(or not, “teleporting” you back to the side you started your jump on) based on if the attack was blocked(or not). This opens a nice can of worms from a backthrow into corner for Honda!

IMPORTANT: 99.9% of the setups presented below ARE safe jumps against almost everyone(including shotos) because if they attack(reversal or not, 3 frame shoryuken or not) due to Honda’s positioning the attack will go the wrong way. That means that in most cases you don’t even have to block and you can react to a whiffed shoryuken, for example. In some cases, they can still focus attack dash cancel out of the corner. In other cases, if Honda’s jump in attack connects, that will push them(sometimes “teleport” them) towards the corner.

Safest Jump Setup - (Honda in corner) back throw, cs.HP, jumping forwards MK
VIDEO HERE

Now, as I said before, Dhalsim gave me issues with the cornered back throw setup. At first I thought “seems like he gets up 1 frame slower, or another case of wonky hitboxes”, so I tried the same setup as Sagat/Cammy/Blanka and it worked for him too. But a mistake(like many others here, counting frames or on execution) lead me to this(yet another) setup on Dhalsim. The thing that makes this setup interesting is not that it’s a safe jump per se(in fact, strictly going by the numbers, it’s not), but the fact that when the opponent tries to reversal you (special, super, ultra, you name it) it goes the wrong way EVERY TIME. The only escape is to focus, absorb the jump in attack and then dash to the center of the screen(or “forward dash” in some cases). Looks like the back throw puts opponents into the corner in a way that honda won’t cross them up until a couple of frames before landing. The only bad news is that it doesn’t work with Honda, Makoto, Chun Li, Cammy, Blanka and T. Hawk, works just fine with EVERYONE ELSE, altho for Sagat after the throw just mash two s.LK instead of the sc.HP. Oni and Evil Ryu’s EX SRKs will hit you tho, every other reversal shoryuken will whiff or will be beaten. The key is to time correctly the crossup j.MK so if they don’t reversal you the wrong way it’ll hit them. Be careful, tho - if you misstime the j.MK in certain characters, they’ll be able to block it BOTH ways! **Honda **also doesn’t has to be all the way with his back on the corner because the back throw animation carries him some distance backwards (allowing the close HP) so even at almost half screen from the corner you’ll get the setup to work(and even further if you have an opponent with a fat hitbox). Finally, this setup is relevant because besides being a “true” safe jump setup that works with 3 frame reversals and that it also beats ground throws with startup invincibility that beat other safe jump setups is the fact that it acts as an option to create a mixup of sorts using the fake unblockables: once your opponent gets the message that you’re doing a fake crossup, you can do a true crossup (using the same setup) to keep him guessing which side he has to block. I’m sorry if I’m repeating myself but I’m trying to be as clear as possible.

Continued on the post below!

FAKE CROSSUPS

When these setups are done correctly, the opponent has to block them backwards like a fake crossup(“the wrong way” - towards the corner!) even tho you’re indeed crossing them up, and most of the times you’ll end up in the corner, altho that is character dependant(as are the punishes). It’s easy to OS here, since 99.99% of all reversal attacks will go the wrong way. Only Adon, Blanka, Cody, Dee Jay, **Honda **and T. Hawk are inmune(so far) to fake crossups.

PROTIP: If you’re having trouble getting fake crossups, go to training mode and try setup #1 first on Bison (Dictator), then hit playback mode and try to block it. It’s easier to get it on him because of his particular hitbox.

#1- (Honda in corner) back throw, cs.HP, jumping forwards MK/HK
FAKE CROSSUP ON RYU VIDEO

J.HK version works on Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gen, Sakura, Oni, Yun, Dhalsim, C. Viper, Bison, Hakan, Yang, **Evil Ryu **and Rufus(early j.HK for him). MK version won’t work on Akuma and Rufus. You have to delay the cs.HP a liiitle bit(mash it slower, heh) for both versions. Regular restrictions apply and unless specifically noted, all super/ultras will whiff/go the wrong way.
- Ryu, Ken: J.HK’s drawbacks are that it can be normal dashed escaped and that some moves that move the hurtbox forward will make it whiff. J.MK doesn’t have those issues.
- Akuma, Gen: J.HK will whiff 80% of the time if they do nothing or if they do some special attacks or even some normals that move their hurtbox, altho the timing to escape using a normal attack is hard - I tried using turbo and it only worked sometimes. They can’t jump out of either version. OSing them(like OS throw back into the corner) works depending on their action . If they mash FADC too fast they’ll dash into Honda. MK version doesn’t work on Akuma, and it can be an unblockable(as the j.HK version) on Gen.
- Sakura, Oni, Evil Ryu: They can jump out of the j.HK version. Also some special attacks move their hurtbox(so the j.HK whiffs). J.MK beats jumping out of it and all special moves with no invincibility. Oni and Evil Ryu can EX shoryuken their way out of the j.MK version hitting Honda only once(j.HK makes both EX dps whiff most of the time).
- Yun, Yang: J.HK will whiff if they do nothing, they can jump out of it, they can use some normal and special moves to “escape”(since they move their hurtbox forward, but that can be OS thrown back into the corner) but if they try to dash/FADC out of it they cause a “Honda teleport”, moving themselves into the corner again. J.MK version beats all the escapes previously mentioned. Against Yun’s Nishou Kyaku(kick dp) you can OS a jump out of the corner to chase those EX/HK versions(and even walk and EX oicho the HK one after the jump) or to crossup j.MK the LK version(the MK version gets stuffed). Otherwise OS back throw him into the corner again. Yang can teleport out too(doing it “the wrong way”) but only his LK Senkyuutai(kick dp) gives him a mild escape(with a free punish for Honda) - all the other versions(EX included) get stuffed.
- Dhalsim: He can’t teleport out of any version at all(all teleports will bring him right next to Honda, into the corner or not), he can dash/jump out of the j.HK version. Yoga Fire/Flame will make the j.HK whiff but they’ll come out the wrong way. J.MK beats all his escape attempts except for oc.LK and the standard FADC.
- C. Viper: Some special attacks will move her hurtbox forwards causing the j,HK to whiff, and even some normals, altho I tried that with turbo and it only worked sometimes. The j.MK version doesn’t have that issue(it will connect everytime) and it can be an unblockable.
- Bison: He can dash out of the j.HK version, but he has this huge special move escape galore that makes the j.HK setup almost useless if he has meter. The j.MK is only better because he can’t dash out of it, but still a Bison with meter has too many ways around them. Only EX Head Stomp/Devil Reverse can kinda bother Honda, all other EX attacks will whiff but leave him far from punish. Teleports have to be done the wrong way to get him out of the corner.
- Hakan: He can only FADC out of both setups to escape, and even then, he has to time it late otherwise he’ll dash into Honda. OS a throw just in case because his EX slide makes the jumping attacks whiff, but teleports Honda out of the corner(making it a failed escape attempt) and you’ll have to block it the other way around. All other slide versions(and other specials) get stuffed. Beware of his ultra 2.
- Rufus: If the j.HK is blocked, it leaves Rufus in the corner(a case of “Honda teleport”). If Rufus tries to FADC out of the corner, he’ll be stuck in the corner again(via teleport!). All of his answers that are not beaten by the j.HK(all Snake Strike versions, EX Messiah Kick) whiff and can be punished. Only Ultra 2 has to be blocked since it hits behind Rufus.

#2- (Honda in corner) back throw, cs.HP, jumping forwards MK/HK
VIDEO COMING SOON - editing

The j.MK setup works on Dudley, Seth, Gouken, **Balrog **and Zangief. The j.HK works on everyone previously mentioned except Balrog. In this second group the jumping attack has to be done early, even earlier than the first group. For the same reason, here the “Honda teleports” are more common, specially on (counter) hit and with opponents with taller hurtboxes. Here the cs.HP after the throw has to come out as soon as possible. The j.HK this time does not whiff if opponents do nothing or neutral jump but it’s harder to time. The j.MK is easier to get but you get less hitstun, so c.LP into hands is, most of the times, your only followup option into a combo. Regular restrictions apply and unless specifically noted, all super/ultras whiff or go the wrong way.
- Dudley: Counter won’t help him(you’ll hit him out of it), but his duck/mgb moves will make him escape the corner. The charge thing will get him out too, but that’s easy to punish on reaction, even if you haven’t seen it before. Uppercuts will whiff or get stuffed, depending on the setup used.
- Seth: Can’t do anything except for teleporting the wrong way(towards the corner), which will get him to the other corner or midscreen. Everything else you can easily punish or gets stuffed.
- Gouken: His counter saves him from being hopeless against these setups. Tatsus whiff for hours, and the auto tracking of the demon flip EX(the other special attack that can “escape” the hit) keeps Gouken close to Honda.
- Zangief: Only EX green hand will get him out of the corner. EX SPD won’t touch you, and EX SPD(kick version) will absorb the hit but will try to grab you while still in the air and fail. Lariats whiff(punch version) or are stuffed(kick version).
- Balrog: Headbutts will whiff, non ex dash punches will get stuffed, ex dash punches wil absorb the hit and go the wrong way, turn punch will whiff but can be OS thrown back into the corner. The j.HK version won’t work with him at all.

#3- (Honda in corner) back throw, cs.HK, jumping forwards MK/HK

Using j. MK it works on Makoto, Chun Li, Abel, Cammy and Guy. Using the HK variation it works on Dan(and most of the characters mentioned before, see below). Unlike the previous 2 groups, characters in this group do not share a common timing for their fake crossups. Also the sc.HK has to be done as early as possible. Regular restrictions apply and unless specifically noted, all super/ultras whiff or go the wrong way.
- Makoto: Using j.HK, she can whiff an EX Oroshi or try to use a Fukiage to escape. The LP Fukiage will get stuffed by j.HK(or will whiff on j.MK), all other versions will whiff. The j.MK setup can be an unblockable.
- Chun Li: The j.HK version doesn’t work with her. The j.MK version will keep her in the corner if she tries to get you with a reversal EX SBK, which you can block but you have to block the wrong way(since you’re getting teleported out of the corner). An EX Hazanshu will get her out of trouble too but you can punish it.
- Abel: The j.HK version will let him escape if he does nothing or if he does some normal/special moves that move his hurtbox forwards. The j.MK version will only give him a chance if he uses his EX roll(can be OS thrown) or his EX CoD(will absorb the hit and go the wrong way). Everything else gets beaten.
- Cammy: The j.MK lets her use all cannon drill versions to escape, which not happens with j.HK(it stuffs them). Spin Knuckle EX lets her out(can be punished) and all Cannon Spikes whiff. Also j.HK won’t let her escape using a FADC since it’ll cause another “Honda teleport” outside of the corner.
- Guy: No j.HK version on Guy. The j.MK version works wonders except for the EX run. Everything else gets beaten or whiffs. The j.MK version can be an unblockable.
- Dan: There’s something about Dan’s hurtbox… it’s really inconsistent. With j.HK sometimes you’ll get that it doesn’t hit Dan if he does nothing or if he jumps out of the setup. Or sometimes you’ll get that it doesn’t let him jump and that it does hit him if he does nothing, but if he blocks correctly(not as a crossup) the j.HK won’t hit him… Anyway, all his attacks will whiff. All of them. Punish accordingly.

#4- (Honda in corner) back throw, cs.LK, cs.LK, jumping forwards MK/HK

This setup is kinda hard because the 2 LKs have to be linked as fast as possible. It works on Dudley, Seth, Gouken, Juri, Rose and Rufus. Here since both versions work with all characters I’ll first talk about the j.HK version and then about the j.MK version. Regular restrictions apply and unless specifically noted, all super/ultras whiff or go the wrong way.
- Dudley: The j.HK won’t let him regular dash out of the corner, nor use normal attacks to escape. All his attacks will whiff and the counter won’t work either. But almost any of his moves with forward momentum will take him out of the situation. The FADC has to be done slowly otherwise he’ll dash into Honda. Only advantage of using j.MK is that it’ll beat LP MGB and his non EX DPs(that otherwise just whiff using j.HK).
- Seth: FADC will make the j.HK whiff. Like with setup #2, if he does the teleport into the corner he’ll appear in the opposite corner(kick version) or midscreen(punch version). All his attacks will whiff. In case of a counter hit, he’ll “teleport” you out of the corner. J.MK will do everything j.HK does plus it’ll beat LP shoryuken and non EX tatsus and it will hit(will be absorbed by) the FADC.
- Gouken: His counters(all except the LP version) save him from an otherwise unescapable situation. Only tatsus(all versions) and EX demon flip make the j.HK whiff but they are hardly a safe escape. The j.MK is the inferior version here.
- Juri: Her options/escapes with j.HK kinda suck. Her Senpusha gets beaten or whiffs. Only her EX counter works(regular versions aren’t activated by j.HK), but you can hit her out of the air easily with a s.HP or a nj.HP. J.MK beats all regular Senpushas but it activates all her regular counters so it’s a tradeoff between both versions.
- Rose: Another good test subject with j.HK. Everything gets beaten if she doesn’t have meter(as usual). Only EX drill and EX DP manage to escape, but an OS jump can punish both of them. Only downside of the j.HK version is that gets beaten by Ultra 2. So if they use that ultra and have it loaded start using j.MK to beat it clean.
- Rufus: All snake strikes will whiff against a j.HK. J.MK will beat all regular snake strikes and make him flip into a nice reset. A fast FADC against any version will make him dash back to Honda. All other regular/special attacks(save for the almighty jesus kick) will be beaten by either version.

#5- (Honda in corner) back throw, walk backwards, pause, jumping forwards MK/HK

Aahh… the black sheep of setups… these are hard to do but they are the most rewarding - have you ever seen a jumping attack beat ALL of Cammy’s DPs? Also 50% of the times you’ll end up outside the corner. Some are kinda viable but some are so hard that I could only do them once and because of that are not included/counted. Similar restrictions/applications as the other fake crossups mentioned before apply. These work on Seth, Abel, Sagat, Cammy, Rufus, El Fuerte, Vega and T.Hawk. You might be able to do this kind of setups in every character but I don’t think they are practical at all. At least, most of this characters have other setups that work with them. This part will include more character specific details as soon as I finish its videos(with all the characters included).

UNBLOCKABLES

#1- Guile: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HP, jumping forwards MK/HK
UNBLOCKABLE ON GUILE VIDEO (HK VERSION)

This is the first unblockable I found and the one that really started all this stuff. **Guile **has a hitbox that makes it “easy” for **Honda **to Unblockable (heck, he has 2 viable setups!) compared to other unblockables. The j.MK one only has one escape(besides just frame blocking, that I can’t do at all) which is focus absorb the j.MK and dash cancel towards the center of the screen but it gives you less hitstun since the j.MK hits early so you have to be on point to combo afterwards(wow, long sentence!). The j.HK setup can be escaped by Guile just by dashing towards the center of the screen or holding neutral jump(which is not really an escape but it does escape the unblockable situation) but it has a very nice hitstun you can combo/OS out of. So, choose their poison!

#2- C. Viper: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HP, jumping forwards MK
UNBLOCKABLE ON VIPER VIDEO

This one is a lot like Guile’s. C. Viper must do a FADC to escape, otherwise all her other options can be punished. Unless she does an EX seismo feint(which still has recovery frames and can be OS thrown) all her options leave her in vulnerable spots.

#3- Ibuki: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HK, jumping forwards MK
UNBLOCKABLE ON IBUKI VIDEO

This one is a little bit harder than Guile’s unblockable, it’s also done using sc.HK instead of sc.HP. Its only escape is also focus absorb the j.MK and then dash towards the center of the screen, but it’s better for Honda because at the height it connects(hitbox wise) it gives you a little bit more time to combo her. Ibuki’s teleports won’t save her, yes, not even the EX version. You can also get the fake crossup to work(j.HK version) since it’s WAY easier to do, but it might only connect if **Ibuki **blocks one way(as a crossup) and whiff if she blocks the other way(at least you get a nice back throw OS into the corner again).

#4- Makoto: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HK, jumping forwards MK
UNBLOCKABLE ON MAKOTO VIDEO

This timing is a bit different, the j.MK has to be pressed a little bit later. However, Makoto only has the FADC as a viable escape, everything else can be punished, except for Ultra 2(hold HK). Also she has to dash cancel her focus kinda slowly, because if it’s a fast dash cancel it’ll go the wrong way: towards Honda.

#5- Guy: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HK, jumping forwards MK
UNBLOCKABLE ON GUY VIDEO

If you nailed Ibuki’s unblockable using training mode, go to the character selection screen, select **Guy **now, and chances are, 8 out of 10 times it’ll work on him. I don’t know why but it took me longer to find this unblockable by itself. Here **Guy **is not as screwed as **Ibuki **and Guile, since besides FADCing out of the crossup(and the corner) he can EX run his way out of the corner, which kinda counts as a FADC since he’ll absorb the hit and run away, but it’s not by any chance as punishable as a back dash. Thing is,he has to do the EX run the right way (which is the “wrong way”), like your jump in wasn’t a crossup. And to get him to waste some meter on stuff that’s not going to hit you is a small victory in the meter management battle.

#6- Gen: (Honda in corner) back throw, sc.HP, jumping forwards HK
UNBLOCKABLE ON GEN VIDEO

This unblockable is weird, because it whiffs if Gen does nothing, or does some attacks that move his hitbox, like hands(any version) or even some normals. Because of that I wasn’t sure about calling it an unblockable, but it can’t be blocked so I guess it is one. And you can always go with the fake crossup setup or the safe crossup setup(neither whiffs if Gen does nothing) to mix it up a bit. Besides what I said before, Gen can also escape using his KKK stance flash kick(I won’t bother looking up the name), a dash or a FADC(the j.MK will whiff) towards the center of the screen. You can OS his escapes tho since none of his anti air specials attacks will hit you(and super/ultra flashes will give you time to react and plan the more viable punish) so it’s not an unpractical unblockable, just one that has more escapes than the average.

#7- El Fuerte: (Honda in corner) back throw, walk back, jumping forwards MK
UNBLOCKABLE ON EL FUERTE VIDEO

This unblockable was a female dog to find because it’s not an exact science. Well, neither of the unblockables are, but at least it’s easier to just worry about the jumping attack’s timing rather that in lots of timings at once. This setup was also hard to reproduce, and it is included here more as a proof of concept than anything else. I can see people going for the fake crossup setup, but this unblockable… I don’t know. Well, I’ve been wrong before many times so maybe someone can master this and use it at every possible chance, even mid screen. Back to the topic, this unblockable has a nifty advantage: if “blocked” as a crossup it’ll hit anyway but it’ll teleport **Honda **away from the corner. As all safe jump setups, this is also unpunishable by El Fuerte, and besides FADCing out of the corner he has his EX run, which has to be done the wrong way too. Good luck with this one!

Meh, editing/uploading vids + adding annotations takes so much time… and I don’t even have the game yet!!! Too many vids to edit(over a hundred) but I have it all recorded!

Finally, please, if you’re going to give a thumbs down to my vids, at least tell me why you’re doing it. That’ll help me improve the videos I’ll be uploading soon, unless it’s the quality you’re mad about(I can’t do any better).

Oh man, some good stuff here. I have always wondered some safe jump set ups for Honda. Im looking forward to more stuff from you :slight_smile:

Uploading videos now… it’s a shame my capture card is not working :frowning: Expect lots of bad quality from my phone’s camera. I will keep updating the thread.

Sorry for the huge delay… real life issues plus I don’t have the game yet so I depend on a friend’s time(all of the vids I have were made in one session) :frowning:

Good work.

I’m pretty sure Honda also has a safe jump set up off super, i dont have a particular timing for it, i just walk forward a bit and do jump RH.

Works against Sagats tiger upper nyway.

Hey Stevo, nice avatar!(name plox), are you the same stevoknevo I used to play on XBL last year(my GT is gutabo2, I stopped playing like 9 months ago or more) that used Rog? If so, Sup! Also congrats on that EVO ticket, AE honda army FTW! :smiley:

And to answer your post, yes, there are safe jump setups from a super. They’re far more handy close to corner than midscreen, but testing them is a pain in the arse since depending on the hurtbox of the opponents the 2nd hit of the super takes a frame or two more(or less) to connect, and that screws up the dummy timing for the safe jump afterwards. Still, I identified 4 groups of wakeup timings back in super(and back when I was playing the game) but I still have to test for changes in AE(and make videos of that), I don’t want to post stuff I haven’t tested thoroughly. Same issue with safe jump setups after an overhead, the size of the opponent, and more important, the state of the opponent(standing, crouching, attacking in most cases also modifies the hurtbox size) change the setup required for a safe jump. And testing the possible crossup afterwards is also a pain in the arse because it’s also character specific. I have those too, and I will post them too. And finally, an unteched wakeup after the second hit of a buttslam also has safe jump setups, and they also depend on the opponent state/size at the moment the 2nd hit of the buttslam connects, but their main weakness is that if the opponent techs the wakeup, they are rendered useless. Still, I have them too. I have only found cases where the opponent might forget to tech more often and that is in a combo, like against abel(c.LP xx EX buttslam after HP/EX hands) or balrog(EX buttslam after HP hands) or doing the honda trials combo(EX hands into c.LP xx EX buttslam on standing opponent).

My main concern is that all the setups should be able to be reproduced, so if I have recorded footage showing a Rufus unblockable but I can’t do it again, it doesn’t count(yeah, that renders as useless a chunk of my recorded footage). I STILL have recorded tests that I have to edit and upload to youtube from that testing day at my friend’s place.

Cant say i remember your GT, ive messed around with all charge characters but mainly blanka and honda, tx man cant wait to go, will be my first time in the U.S too so im really looking forward to it.

Im just waiting for the converter i ordered to arrive and then i’ll be all set, cant do shit without my xbox360 pad… dunno how anyone does HHs on stick lol.

Thats Miranda Kerr in the avatar.

really really good shit gutabo, u need to get back on xbox man.

Thanks guys, hey ssjbrydon, sup, long time no see!

Ok I’ve revamped the 2nd post about fake crossups and unblockables, I apologize to people that didn’t understand what I was talking about, I’ve tried to make it as clear as possible.
Suggestions are welcome, I had to edit a crapton of vids to find suitable takes to upload. Yeah, scanlines suck, my phone sucks more, me not having the game sucks even more, and me not having a capture card anymore sucks the most.

Thanks for the info man, ive recently been doing alot more fake crossup jump forward RH in the corner. You can even time it so Honda will appear to hit crossup but then land infront like the akuma jump lk trick.

Really nice stuff man.

Thank YOU!

Yeah, in some characters you can actually choose where you’re going to appear/“teleport”. Off the top of my head I have an example(and using the throw, s.HP into j.HK setup) against Fei Long: if you do the j.HK really early, he can block the crossup normally but you’ll appear in the front, and if you delay the j.HK a little bit you’ll appear in the back but he won’t be able to block the crossup the regular way. Thing is, both hits look the same until you do the “honda teleport”, and I have it recorded with my crappy phone! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll try to get it all recorded with a better capturing device, but right now real life stuff has ore priority so sorry if I take a while to do that.

tagging this thread, this is good stuff.

Thanks guys!

I reordered the info in the first posts because I hit the size limit for my 2nd post and lost a lot of written stuff in the process :frowning: Note to self: should write in notepad first! Will keep updating the OP. Seems like crappy vids are better than no vids at all, right? :wink:

This really is great stuff. I’ve been working them in my game as much as possible. That nj.hk after the forward throw in the corner feels like christmas lol

Is there any post oicho/super/ultra technology?

EDIT: all the super setups plus other useful info has now been added to the OP.

Good shit man. I’ve always done a grounded mixup in these situations but now I’ll work on your safe jumps for added pressure, especially after ultra 1 and cornered super. Thanks!

Thanks slick, reading that(and what others have said before and PMed me) motivates me! It feels like xmas indeed!

Ok, I’ve rewritten most of the fake crossup section, I have added annotations to ALL my published vids Honda-related(yeah even the unblockable ones) so you can “see” what’s going on better and copied and pasted and revamped my previous post to the OP(so it has some new stuff there that’s not in the original answer to slick rick).

Well , since the crappy vids seem to be keeping people away from these findings I guess I’ll have to borrow a proper capturing device and do all the vids again. Also it doesn’t help that I have rewritten both OPs many times but few people seem to notice. If that’s what it takes, I don’t mind, it’ll just take longer for me to do them, but still, real life issues are keeping me away from this. Maybe I’ll get some text in there too, since seems like people don’t like to read youtube annotations either. Any good app to make vids? I just use TMPGenc to edit my crappy vids…

The original vids were fine with me. I think the other problem is the honda community is really small now since AE. I know there’s quite a few of us who are using your technology though. I think my hardest part is setting up normal throws. I’m so used to not doing normal throws since oicho as much better range I find my self not even going for the setups.