Honda Match-up Thread: After the war 2010 AE

@Jewelman: Light MGB is -2 on block, everything else is at least theoretically punishable by Honda (c.LP xx HHS is your best bet). I haven’t gotten a chance to test though, and probably won’t be able to for at least a few days.

Also, Adon’s Jaguar tooths are all around -2 on block iirc. They have absolute shit priority though and Adon has no place throwing them out in this match so just headbutt/ultra/chop his sorry ass for using them.

rolling thunder punishes all versions of headbutt, even ex.

Ibuki matchup notes:

Can punish ex and fp kunai at full screen with U1 as long as she is jumping back into the corner

If she lands her target combo (lp, mp, D+hk, hk) and sjc for the reset follow up always EX HB reversal to stop the pressure, create space and most importantly of all deal out that damage.

The Hien is punishable on hit by ultra, ex and fp headbutt if it hits deep (just behind hondas head). Although not many people throw the hien out without a super ready to hit confirm into, so just keep this in the back of your head rather than constantly looking for it.

Her U2 can punish all versions of headbutt on block except ex.

Linking cr.mk after HHS works on her when crouching. Cancelling into fp HB gets blocked, must be EX or super.

The easiest way to win this match is to just turtle the shit out of ibuki. She can try and rush you down but ultimately honda’s defensive tools completely demolish the slut. AA headbutt, nj fierce deal with her jumpins very well (although I found that sometimes if I hadn’t spaced it right her j.hk would beat the nj fierce, but I was probably getting caught on the startup frames). When she stops jumping in you have to make sure that you watch out for random neck breakers, otherwise you gotta just try and outpoke her with s.hk/s.fp.

I’m fairly certain this matchup is a 6 - 4 to honda, but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know

Mr SNK - I figured it would best to bring this over to the latest Match up thread before the tier list one turns into how to deal with Guile.

Seems this version of Guile makes for some interesting strategies - here is mine - which is different in places.

Use U2 - Guile recovers too damn fast for U1 to be much use and EX Boom is so fast you need to be psychic to react to it in time with U1. The only time I have got U1 to work effectively has been when I second guess a block string based on patterns or on a neutral jumping Guile, but I would rather not be guessing, but reacting, hence why I dont use it. U2 is more solid vs Guile. I have hit SSF4 Guile with it off cross ups, empty jumps when he whiffs c.hp and off meaty lk buttslam blocked on wake up…let alone the usual jab hands FADC route.

Trades - basically go for them when you have a life lead, try not to when you don’t. Honda wins trades vs Guile, but the problem you have is you eat a load of chip from boom in this match - about 20% more than in SF4 becasue of the charge times. So you can trade all you want with a lead, but a couple of booms on chip means your trade was worth nothing if you are behind.

Life Leads - Get a good one and hold your ground looking for times to reversal with EX headbutt.

Buttslam - use it in reversal situations only. A good Guile will bait it with neutral jumps and back jumps looking for air throw. Meaty on wake up is good too - if blocked you can go for an Orochi and it also beats flashkick on wake up. Also, any good player will just focus your buttslam and hurt you for it.

Corner Games - Honda wants Guile in the corner. It is harder work than in SF4 to get him there, but you have to be persistant and enforce your will on the Guile player (uber defensive Guiles will put themselves there anyway). You might not have met an agreesive Guile, but this Guile can put you there quickly himself with some concerted pressure - because of his shortened charge time he can use his forward knee after a boom to close space and then throw another boom immediately to push you back and the speed of his recovery means you might eat an AA and go further backwards. When you are cornered don’t panic - his corner pressure is very good and keep an eye out for his overhead, but look for spaces in his strings for EX headbutt to get out.

Jump In - I don’t think Honda wins this fight on the ground - too fast a charge, too good a recovery and boom is better as a poke than anything Honda can put out. IMO, if you can’t corner Guile (which is the only place you win on the ground), you need to take to the air - ealry mp can beat c.hp and df.hk (spacing and timing dependant), j.lp is good from a longer range and late j.hk from about 2 squares away on the training stage beats c.hp - what I mean is aim to land the kick on Guiles legs as this timing, with correct spacing, makes c.hp AA whiff first. Lastly, do not jump if Guile is following in behind boom or has had time to move about freely - most of Hondas options loose in this situation.

Knockdowns - Look to put him on his backside as much as possible - your cross up game is the biggest headache you can give him mid screen.

Super - Try to get this - one hands combo will net you 400+ damage and potentially a round in the bag.

Jab hands s.mp - Guile has a strange hitbox on his legs that means s.hk whiffs a times. I go for s.mp as it hits more and only does about 10 less damage in the combo than s.hk. Added bonus is you can hit Super off it too for a bundle of damage and FADC the s.mp for some further mix up into more hands (too far away for Oicho).

In the end, you need to play solid and as Mr Snk pointed out importantly - don’t allow sunglasses!

Vs Hakan:

Hakan can punish fierce headbutt with fierce oil slide.
Butt Slams are safe, Hakan’s 360 + P is too slow to catch even the roundhouse butt slam.
Honda should really turtle this match out, Hakan simply doesn’t have a good way to get in. All of Hakan’s “I’m moving forward to get you” moves, towards + strong, towards + roundhouse, and crouching fierce are all -5 on block, which mean a free low jab hands combo. This is true even when oiled, being oiled does not change anything other than his range. His towards and strong can be canceled, but the only thing to note is if he cancels to his Oil Dive (360 + K), you must crouch, if you stand or try to jump out you will get grabbed.
Watch for Hakan to try to oil up full screen if you are turtling and headbutt appropriately.
If Hakan lands an oil slide and the followup, he can apply the short oil for free, do not try to counter attack with something wildly unsafe while you are waking up.
When Hakan is oiled, he can cancel out of his forward and back dash into normal moves. For forward dashes, this isn’t much of a problem, just continue to block / wait for him to do something stupid. However, if Hakan is oiled and waking up, leave him the hell alone. He can back dash on wake up, and cancel the back dash to low forward, oil slide for a knockdown, essentially getting an invincible low forward. Note that most Hakan’s are not doing this yet, but it’s something to watch out for in the future.
If you weren’t turtling before he got U2, you better start, since U2 will beat jumps, butt slams, and headbutts. I hope you have the life lead. You can try to get him to blow it early if you’re really whipping his ass, but you’re still looking at around 350 damage for a level 1 ultra.
Be careful with jumping overall, Hakan’s jumping strong puts you in a juggle state, he can combo U2 afterwords or Oil Slide (with followup). Hakan also has an air throw, but he’s a little more limited in it’s use because his jump is so bad.
Watch out for that jab 360 while he’s oiled, that thing has crazy range, use whatever throw evasion techniques you prefer.

Verdict: 6-4 Honda.

How’s the Juri matchup going? I have only trouble with online Juris when they try to play keepaway…

can someone do a detailed guide against vega(claw)? ive been playing against a good one and am starting to think this is a 5-5 or at least 6-4 vega. its hard to block his walldives because our hitbox is so big he can just grab you on walldives. also his pokes are soooo long w/ claw that it is hard to outpoke this guy. if you havent played a vega from super, please dont try to give your insight, its not the same as vanilla. he is not the same beast as he once was, thanks.

You know I was getting the same impression after fighting one earlier. His pokes beat the living crap out of me and I could hardly do anything.

I just piddled from giggling, thanks for that.

time to hit the lab on vega?

also i need to work on my timing to stop rufus’ dive kick… :frowning:

yet another simplified tip as i play masked terror and other good online vegas and beat them…
FA wall dives if you absorb the hit with your back just backdash into jab HHS do that until he izuna drops you st fierce works well up close as does nj fierce to stuff other charge moves

After rufus knocks you down block the initial dive kick that may or may not cross up and jump back RH idk about jump back fierce though

yah i have seen Akimo jump back RH all day on rufus, but never after he blocks a dive kick. ill try that out but arent you in blockstun after a dive kick? i usually do tech w/ MP after a dive kick. techs his grab traps and if he tries another dive kick he eats a MP. problem is if he decides to do a messiah kick after a dive kick :frowning: i think the best way to play against rufus is to stop his first dive kick, which is stupid hard to do when he delays the timing on it. Anyone got any tips on the best way to chop or j. headbutting it? (a video would be good)

Absorbing his wall dives is sound advice. Only thing I would add is be careful they don’t cotton on and start doing his 2 hit wall dive (I don’t know how it’s done but Agent Hoy does it me if he seems me looking for focus). The 2 hit version, where he sticks his claw straight into your head knocks down too for more mix ups.

How do you do this? Just pressing standing LP+LK+MP? I always get the throw if I try that… Thanks in advance!

as long as you’re not in a vortex, rufus divekick gets eaten by lk and ex buttslam all day. Preferably ex though…

Ibuki matchup notes:

Can this please be clarified?
I’ve had U1 beaten clean by Kunai more than once.
Are you implying to avoid the Kunai as you would an Akuma Fireball?
I kinda expected The Ultra to deflect the Kunai and continue on to catch her out of the air.

Kunai acts as a physical attack and not as a fireball so your invincibility is worth nothing for U1 against her - you need to get it with your head to go through it.

Just out of interest, what matches are people using U1 in. Personally I am using it consistently for:

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Sagat
Seth

I sometimes pick it for Blanka (punish ball and U1 on block as a reversal), T Hawk (punish bad Condor Dive), Cammy (punish blocked dp) and even occasionally in Honda mirrors (punish bad Buttslams, which U2 does too, as well as standing block HP headbutt and reversaling…people still go for that HP headbutt even though it is not that safe in the match with standing block and more so with Super or Ultra 1 loaded for the reversal). Although these matches could all easily have U2 as an effective tool too and I do tend to mix it up.

The EX kunai is similar to akuma’s fireball in that it flys over honda, but the fp kunai gets deflected by the ultra. I gotta run, so I don’t have time to go in depth on this but hopefully tonight or tomorrow I’ll be able to update this post. Here’s the raw footage I was gonna use to make a video on this though.

[media=youtube]37J6wgVPREU[/media] - EX kunai

[media=youtube]QFPkS71Cob8[/media] - FP kunai

i believe the ex wall dive is two hit and why wouldnt you FA vega is he really going to grab you all day? if he does then just stop FA’ing FFS

I really dont know the dudly match up at all :frowning: I keep loosing to dudly :frowning: