H. P. Lovecraft would be proud - The Shuma-Gorath thread!

Its way too early to be talking tiers, especially with Shuma/Jill… Just look at how all over the place the tiers were for MvC2 before they settled on the final result. And yes, MvC2 was full of glitches and broken shit, but that’s just an example, remember when everyone thought Dudley would be S Tier in SSF4? or when everyone thought that Arakune was going to be shit in BBCS? (that one makes me lol in particular, ArcSys has no idea what to do with that guy, no matter what they do he stays high tier lol)

people who said shulkie and spencer are bad just did’nt like their design.

Tiers exist you can say someone is probably on the top of the list or bottom of the list. being more specific is a bit tricky.

And when i say he’s another ryu, i’m saying he’s just average. In a game where alot of characters are exponentially strong, he seems lacking really… I guess a main part of his game will be TK smashing ball but is it really amazing haven’t played with him today but i did for a few hours last night.

Yo Arakune is godlike yo

How good is the damage from an OTG Hyper Mystic Smash? I know it can connect OTG, but doesn’t look like it will work in the corner.
Also, made the team building thread, but wont update it for awhile. Can anyone tell me if the frame data from the guide and the in game frames are correct?

Yes i remembered, most people who did saw a video and jumped the gun. I knew SSF4 mechanics and i knew what made a top contender i knew Dudley without a doubt was not top tier. Just no way. Zoning is too strong. But after playing the game it became more evident and now he’s mid tier at best.

This aint liek watching a vid and screaming a char is too OP i actually tinkered with him for a few hours and did his trials to make a first opinion. And if i’m wrong i’d bite the bullet and admit i was wrong, but right now he seems a bit underpowered compared to the rest of the cast. Unless you find an ultra easy infinite or a glitch i dont see him raising the ranks to much. Perhaps if his Chaos Dimension cost 1 bar or he builds meter irregularly.

lol, man.

Your calling him average when no one has had a chance to truly explore him and even then he isn’t average…Everyone has a right to an opinion but yours is sounding really bad fam.

Anyone see if the DHC Trick works DHCing into Shuma’s Chaos Dimension (bite whiff) into combo after?

I agree, I’m saying Arc Sys keeps trying to balance him out but it never really affects him and he stays S/A Tier, lol. They had no idea what they were getting themselves into when they developed his Curse Drive, I mean, 160+ hit combos? sheesh

There’s too many characters in that game I like to play with, but Arakune is right up there with Valk, Hazama and Mu :smiley:

I’ll agree that playing and watching a character are two different things, but I’m also not saying you’re wrong, it’s just that at this point it’s too ambiguous to make that kind of call, he doesn’t have the benefit all these other characters did of having top tier players experiment with him for months before the game came out, so it’ll take longer to discern where he’ll end up…

Guide says use Hyper Mystic Smash for mid screen combos, and Mystic ray for corner combos.

Ray gets most of its damage in the corner while Smash Mid Screen.

“Yo guys, I know this character is less than 24 hours old and no one has done anything but a few hours in training mode trying to figure out how he works but I’m telling you he’s low tier on the nonexistant tier list”

I’m really curious how a few hours were enough to deem his position. You should’ve just said “I’m not feeling him, the few hours I was trying him out, nothing stood out to me” instead throwing around “low tier low tier just as meh as Ryu”.

This game is ultimately a game of mix-ups and resets. I can sit and block the fastest characters in the game even in lvl 3 xfactor if they don’t have fast tricky mix ups. Given that I only played shuma for like an hour-2 hours, I feel he has way better mix up opportunities than alot of the roster with all this mystic smash business from tiger kneed to cross overs etc. In regards to meter building, he should build meter very quickly due to him using loops. For my I’m looking for him to be my anchor, though he may not have x-factor since I can 100%-0 anyone with my other 2 chars with just a lvl 1 xfactor from alot of different directions. His solo mix ups are looking to have really good potential and if he’s my anchor i’ll throw out lvl 3’s whenever i got them.

Keep in mind he can tiger knee his Air Mystic Smash for instant overheads plus Mystic Smash plus the right assist is a great mixup. Shuma always had great mixup options.

Shuma is hard as shit to block. If they gave him ridiculous movement, he’d be broke. His projectiles are pretty slow but I mean, I don’t see him as a zoning character. Seems more like try to get in their face and rush them down, then do a long ass loop and build a shitton of meter. I think I might run him on point with my annoying zoning team just to build meter for Dorm.

Depending on how his game develops, he could be scary as an anchor, lvl3 X Factor Chaos Dimension does 760K by itself, and it’s unblockable… :open_mouth:

So wait, if Chaos Dimension does 385k without the bite in this vid, why does it do 350k here?

[media=youtube]sJC4xLYwh5I[/media]

I was going to make a new team for Shuma and put him on point with 2 ladies behind him.

In the first video damage was set to high while the video you posted has it on medium or default. I just tested it but sadly no video, sorry.

Yeah, but Gamma Wave isn’t really as useful to his relaunch combos as Mystic smash is, getting a medium Mystic Smash on the ground is a pain because you can’t follow it up easily, and you’re essentially resetting the situation. Mystic Stare is so good, as is mystic Ray, but J. S is ass, and the input leinency makes it hard to get it out in a clutch situation. Combo wise, the only reason to use mystic smash on the ground is to build meter, and even then, launching and exchanging or just launching seems way better. In the air though… that move is gdlk.

In training mode I can do it about eight out of ten on stick, don’t like pad charge characters. In a match its harder to do when your pressured so I miss it about three more times then that, its not a big gripe.

I think he’s quite good, he just requires alot more patience then passing glance. Jill is immediately effective so I suppose I was doing alittle QQ a few minutes in, looking for the first ripples when I posted.

I do however, love his loop. In fact, love isn’t strong enough for how nice it is to do that loop, so he got a big old pat on the back since I figured out how to do it.

My main concern with Shuma, is a lack of an overhead, and a lack of truly sufficient gameplan. I noticed I could get in and kill Sentinel (But even Sentinel could rush sentinel down intelligently) but when I was trying to fight with X-23, using crossup J. M off a dash, and an assist to get in, her blows were simply much faster then mine and I was eating damage.

It felt like trying to rush down with Hsien-Ko, she’s got alot of tricky moves, but sometimes it feels like your bringing meat to wolves against Wolverine, X-23, and Joe. Sometimes I just don’t know what to do, and it doesn’t feel as intuitive as say… Magneto or Chris.

Still, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t see a ton of potential from Shuma, I stand by the fact that I think Jill has a bit more based off what I’ve seen from day one cause her feral rush can do some tricky stuff with a great assist. But I’ll try to find a good team other then Shuma A/Hsien-Ko A/ Viewtiful Joe (Uppercut)

if you tiger knee is L Mystic Smash it’s an instant overheard. I posted a video of it on the last page

also if you tiger knee the H version it will cross up

using the M is a good way to get in, it’s works as an IAD

Yep. You can also continue a combo if you’re close enough. The only problem is that his air S is ridiculously terrible.

***+

• is where your hitbox is basically. The fuck were they thinking.