H. P. Lovecraft would be proud - The Shuma-Gorath thread!

I disagree. I felt his voice in Mvc2 sounded more wise and mystic, like an alternate universe controlling entity like him SHOULD sound. He just sounds like some small annoying little bug in MvC3.

I would say that’s my biggest complaint overall with shuma. Unlike strange or dorm, his gameplay doesn’t reflect his canonical power at all. I’m not saying his current stuff needs to be trashed and capcom start new, but they need to make what he DOES have look mystic as FUCK, and add a few large scale mystic moves to really make him seem powerful from a visual aesthetic.

If I didn’t know what shuma was, I’d be wondering why this weak octopus thing is in MvC3, and why it’s level 3 is so epic.

In the older games he sounded more like a ghost, which I thought was a cool fit for the character. They seemed to say “well he looks like a slimey squid, so lets have his voice like he always has his tongue stuck out”. I don’t mind the new voice at all, but the older one definately sounded better.

I do agree that they need to increase the mystic-ness of his moves. Adding after images
to his special attacks and making the mystic ray beam look bigger would be a good start.

But I can’t help but feel as if little more than troll buffs/nerfs are in store for ol’ shuma…

Shuma gorath has so much trouble vs dante taskmaster akuma and wesker its insane. Someone needs to come up with a real strategy vs these characters as well as trish. Ie. the characters with retarded normals that shut down any momentum and can also lame him out for a long time.

still convinced ammy is his worst match-up…

That is a terrible matchup as well, but characters like taskmaster shit on him so badly. Arrows can lame him out forever and if he has to, he can punish mystic smash with a counter super into otg arrow super which is like 50% of his hp. He can also grab him with his redic grab out of mystic smash startup as well as outclass all of normals with shield skills.

Ok well I’m pretty familiar with these matchups especiall the dante/tske/wesker combos since i play them all the time with shuma not in x-factor.

Dante surprisingly mystic stare is really really helpful. For instnace hold down back and spam jab when your afraid of teleport, he teleports boom instant mystic stared. If he’s trying to do the air heavy over and over off bold cancels just mystic stare him. You can also poke back at him pretty effectively with c.m, don’t approach dante from the air if you can’t make it safe with an assist its a death trap.

Taskmaster- Arrows really shouldn’t be a problem unless he has a good projectile assist in which case you need to have an assist that can help. His ducking dash makes diagonal and up arrows miss and if he shoots horizontally should be able to normal jump air dash on reaction. I fight a projectile taskmaster all the time and have no trouble bypassing arrows with shuma. Also note that if he does jump arrows dash and c.m him right before he lands the reach and fact you duck under his air medium arrows will catch taskmaster alot. Also remember you can grab him out of blocked spidey swings and his shield skills is punishable so get medium range and just wait for him to do something you have an answer for all his options.

Wesker- One of my favorite matchups personally. j.m can relliably beat out wesker ground normals all day from either side. If he is gun teleporting just crouch attack ground teleports or jump grab air teleports. Once you show wesker you can do these two things it forces the matchup into a very straightforward match. c.H can beat all of weskers air moves and is jump cancelable so feel free to use it if wesker thinks he can jump s land c.l you all day. Keep him out of his command grab range and DON"T CHICKEN BLOCK wesker has ez mode frame trap for this so just block low and advance gaurd when you need.

Akuma- J.S beats tatsu so i hope your not getting hit by that. If he does dive kick just back dash and punish with c.m, even if you are in corner remember you are invulnerable during backdash. Fireballs are no harder than any other projectile just watch out for beam super so you can’t be wreckless with mystic smashes. If akuma has more than 1 bar you are going to have to be careful and cautious.

Now I’m not saying any of these matchups are in shuma’s favor and you deffinently have to adjust things with assists in the mix but there are to many options to all discuss and if you are ever shuma solo vs someone+assist they should have the advantage anyways. Personally I think deadpool or magneto is bar far shuma’s hardest matchup.

Thank you snad monkey. I will definitely try some of this out. The dante one is just one where I look at the strat you gave me, and I go orly. It just doesn’t seem like shuma can win vs dante because of how fucked up dante’s hitboxes are, it’s utterly stupid. Also, I can’t beat taskmasters like honzo gonzo who run with assists like doom missles. I can get in eventually, but not without being overly-reckless and resulting in a quicker death than by arrows+missles. I’ll try your strats regardless since live/psn is filled with trenchcoats and swords.

ya I love the fact that holding back and spamming light will auto mystic stare cross over teleports. To be honest honzo is by far the toughest person for me to play online, but then again keep away is soooooo much more effective online. I would do way better against him offline but i’ll never get a chance to. All i know is i’ve played several good keep away taskmasters who are good (top16 in majors) and I do just fine against them offline. Its only honzo’s taskmaster that gives me problems online. But you just got to learn when you can dash under/past arrows and when to jump, once you get that down his keepaway becomes more of annoying than effective.

honzo is good offline…

and he has a shuma player in his crew…

Ya but i still find myself messing up against his hidden missle keep away then i think i should. I mean he is only person i play online that i feel i won’t beat before match starts and I’ve played everyone from Viscant to Deos X to Quasidomo to ryry and so on.

Wow…

This late, a use for Devitalization has been discovered.

I had no idea it could be used as a projectile nullifier.
A nice buff to him would be that devitalizing projectiles gives him health back/a sufficient amount of meter.

what

What

WHAT

So devitlization only absorbs a certain amount of durability points. It will absorb light disruptor but not the heavy version. Still awesome

Looks like someone’ll have to do some testing with what it beats and what beats it then. I read that the window for doing it isn’t particularly tight, so maybe it has some practical use?

don’t have access to the game much these days, but couldn’t you do 3 light disruptors in the time it takes shuma to get out one devitalization?

Strangely enough, from the video, it looks like devitalization’s whiff animation ends quicker when hit by the projectile, but that may just me my eyes (and my hope) fooling me.

Not gonna lie, if capcom were to build off this weird little aspect of Shumas command grab, and make it this weird ‘projectile nullifyer tha also grabs’, then we might have something cool to work with.

I don’t wanna get my hopes up that this will become a game changing tech discovery, but it is interesting.

How would you guys feel about a Hyper Mystic Ray buff where if you hold H for the duration of the starting animation, he fires it straight forward, effectively creating a normal beam hyper?

It has like no recovery so you can react to a chain of light disruptors. When u react to projectiles, it changes the recovery severely.

indeed

the plot thickens…