H. P. Lovecraft would be proud - The Shuma-Gorath thread!

Yeah it does, but what I mean is; with the wait as long as it is on his pose, it always feels like a really bad way to end the combo, like the opponent can take some clear advantage of the situation.

The reason those poses are there is because you’re supposed to have a mystic stare go off every time you slot one into a combo. It’s silly but that’s what I suspect anyway. It basically means, use mystic stare more in combos.

F mystic stare that move so isn’t worth the effort. That being said the reason he poses is because if he didn’t you could just chain hyper mystic stares and hyper mystic smashes togeather. It does suck that the poses make it so you can’t safely hard tag after a kill or properly position yourself and assist to stop someone from rolling out of a corner after a combo that ends in a super =(. the only pose that annoys me though is the one on his command grab, that is the sole reason why his command grab is and always will be bad.

So…is there actually a use for Devitalization (spelling?). I actually FORGOT that he had that move, lol.

If you somehow manage to put insane pressure or your opponent is an idiot, you can time the eyeballs to explode and u can do an OTG combo from it. Or [what happens 90% of the time in a real match] the eyeballs explode while you held the victim and they do no extra damage.

what sucks is crossing yourself up and getting a hyper mystic ray instead of chaos dimension :bluu:

That is so FUCKING retarded. Fucking j.:m: does that shit to me so much on relaunch combos if I try to be fancy… would be on the other side and then Hyper Mystic Ray comes out [totally whiffing by the way] only to eat a combo in the butt.

can’t you call an assist or do a hyper during the pose after devitalisation?

No you can’t squirrel. Unless you called a preemptive assist like doom missles or they are stuck with a mystic stare you can’t do anything after. This kind of makes the move pointless since your regular grab has so much more potential, and the command grab has basically the same range as normal grab so =\

The difference being that you can break out of a regular grab, though. Even though it’s not easy to do, it’s still not guaranteed damage wheras a command grab is. eh, still doesn’t make it worth using >.<

That’s pretty silly that you can’t do anything afterwards though. Surely Hyper Mystic Stare wouldn’t have been so bad.

can we reiterate something?

mystic smash loses to freaking EVERYTHING. I really just need to play smarter from now on and only use it to get in when i know the opponent is doing another move i will avoid. For every other time i get in i think it may be best to always go for the H or up H buffered into smash. Seriously, I was losing to spencer’s wire swing tonight. No, not the grapple, the freakin swing! it stuffs smash completely.

The fact that people can on reaction airgrab it makes me sad. that being said his j.m is incredible you can do 4 hits and cancel into airmystic smash for about 6 overhead hits which almost no one expects the first time. Not to mention it covers both sides oh shuma makes it a great air to ground option.

Though as you play some of the top/really good players you quickly learn that alot of jump in attacks and be airgrab easily especially by characters with good airgrab boxes like task/ammy. so ya sometimes you have to lead with f+h air attack and then cancel it or something.

So, several weeks ago we i said shuma was gonna be pretty weak, whats the consensus now? I’m seeing alot of complaints thus far, whats a non biased opinion of him?

As in the fanboys who says he’s definitely good, it’s still too early blah blah blah, but do you win with him? Not just him on the same team and someone else OCV. But can someone good OCV team someone who’s just as good? sans x-factor.

I always said his taunts where stupid, and his mystic smash is low priority, and his mobility is poor and jump S is crap, and mystic stare assist was over-rated… is this looking like to be true or was i off?

I would say the worst thing about him is health.

Shuma has pretty decent health. The reason people don’t like him is that he doesn’t have ez mode keepaway and he can’t magic series otg(or otg assist) magic series super like 95% of the roster can. Since he takes lots of effort/practice to get a mid screen combo to reliably do over 420k no super 550k+ with 1 super and 750k with 3 meters people shy away from him. This seems natural since Mag’s ROM combo is easier imo and builds more meter and does more damage or wesker with basically any assist. Some people also rely 100% on teleports to get past keep away like zero/wesker/wolvie etc and since he doesn’t have that those people will hate him.

My conclusion, his combos take lots of work to get the medium amount of damage for character combos. He has some good priority and hitboxes but lacks the ez mode teleport style cross ups. He is probably mid-tier once you put time into him, however you can’t jump straight into playing him so bottom tier without practice. (for instance having no storm exp i can still play pretty easily with her in matches cause her combo’s are ez and dhc glitch and spam triangle jump mix-upsetc). The one positive that could push shuma further up down the road is that shuma can option select his airgrabs like Chris G does with ryu. I’m trying to get my practice with this before the tournie in cincii.

I got 5th place last night. I really should have beaten AndyOCR to move on to winners finals but my timing was off all night (this is what happens when you mainly play online) so I kept dropping combos.

ya i hear that complaint P. gorath. I mostly play online but we get togeather locally and play once a week and the difference is killer. Then to make matters work after doing training mode stuff or playing offline, when I go back to online I can’t get my timing down at all again. I notice this particularly with wolvies H -> drill claw-> fatal claw timing, and with the berzerker slash shuma assist into launch then messing up the air combo. Though I find myself messing up shuma combo’s left and right at first online cause I mess up the timing on his mystic smashes.

I saw your two losses last night as well. I typically turn streams on whenever I’m watching TV or doing training mode stuff. Your shuma didn’t get much work done but just like me your wolvie+shuma assist is tough to stop. I noticed you use a different combo off the slash ray combo. When you cross them up, I like to go dash :s: jump :m: :l: drill claw dive kick into combo (need the light to combo small or floaty chars). I feel like this is stronger and more reliable than what you used for cross up combos. This technique also works for non cross up berzerker slashes and so its ez to memorize.

Sorry if this was known, but a mystic stare applied to a char (who dies from it) will stay there and explode as the next char pops in.

You should come to San Diego and let me play your Shuma then… I’m like the only Shuma player here and I needa learn from a legit one.
or XBL works too. haha.

Um, I had a quick question. I have been messing around with a team of Trish/Shuma/Morrigan. You probably figured this out, but I was trying throwing out a Round trip with Trish, then tag in Shuma and go for Chaos Dimension. So far I’m not sure if they can avoid it or not. Has anyone else tried it? Sorry if this is known.