Gundam Battle Assault 2

Very awesome! DEFINITELY love the combo that ends with Javelin! I never thought of that.

Anyway, the altron movelist/combo video is finished.

[media=youtube]_HJFPBKIrSs[/media]

Iā€™m thinking about doing Master Gundam as well. Iā€™m picking Master up, and I think it is a lot stronger than a lot of people think. Thing is, there are no other suits in the game I know quite as well, so Iā€™m almost certain I would be missing some information.

My hard copy of GBA2 is too scratched up to run properly so I bought a new one today. It shipped, totally canā€™t wait for it to get here. Gonna try and have some more competitive friends over and see if I can get some legit PvP gameplay up of this game. I have a PvP video already but it was from 2 years ago and I wasnā€™t nearly as good as I am now.

master is broken as shit. guard cancel super x3 = gg.

basically this games devolves into who hits the other person first 3 times. all of the best characters can deal 1 armor bar from a combo straight or from a stun (so many characters: zaku, hygogg, sazabi, quin mantha, the o (almost) rx-78, GP02, quebeley, god, maxter, rose, master); since your supers are already given to you, many characters are able to do that easily. furthermore thereā€™s characters who can hit infinites off of jabs (maxter, rx-78, acguy, etcā€¦) and so they have a much easier time accomplishing that. of course thereā€™s some consideration of counterpicking with regards to dealing with projectiles, but itā€™s not so severe.

BUT if all yā€™all like this game so much, you should emulate/buy Gundam Seed Destiny for the gameboy advance. japan only, but itā€™s definitely the best gundam fighting game. so much fun. great system, varied characters, cool mechanics. I donā€™t really even like SEED, but the game is sweet. someday Iā€™ll get around to posting my comprehensive BREAK THE GAME COMPLETELY vids for both GBA2 Gundam Seed Destiny.

cheers :smiley:

For a bad player, maybe. Thatā€™s like saying Hakumenā€™s broken because of turtling and Yukikaze.

Maxter is the only one I know of with an infinite, which doesnā€™t even work on quite a few characters. (heavyarms, for instance, falls out after 2 hits, unless you hit him from behind) Maxterā€™s able to do this because of his command dash canceling to and from his jab. I donā€™t see how rx-78ā€™s jab is capable of this. Acguy, maybe, but rx-78? (edit: just went to the lab, I canā€™t get Acguyā€™s jab to loop like Maxters either.)(EDITEDIT: dumb me I didnā€™t realize the low version of the infinite works on everyone. Still though, approaching is a bitch)

Furthermore, Iā€™ve yet to see any matches where the game ā€˜devolvesā€™ into 1 combo armor breaking/infinites. Iā€™m also almost positive a lot of the armor breaking combos for this game most people know about, i.e. the ones in the combo exhibition video, are tool assisted and most are impossible to do by hand. Epyonā€™s combo comes to mind here. In that same video, Iā€™ve seen Burning finger combo into heat end, yet try as I might, Burning refuses to do so in my game. He can cancel burning finger into heat end for sure, but youā€™re pushed too far back for it to connect. This, along with a few other examples are enough for me to know that a lot of the high damaging combos in this game are very difficult to do, when theyā€™re even possible at all. (this may exclude deathscythe, but even then his armor break combo starts from a rather slow unblockable.) No, better players will more likely resort to the more traditional tactics of a fighting game in lieu of trying to shave off one bar from a jab that can be blocked, countered, punished, etcā€¦

However, much like the statement Iā€™m replying to, this is all speculation for now, and until this game gets some high level matches recorded, thatā€™s likely all itā€™ll ever be. And thatā€™s why Iā€™m making the guides that Iā€™m making. I want those matches to happen and to be recorded. And if possible, I want to be in one of those matches.

Anyway, I did try the gameboy advanced gundam seed game but I didnā€™t like it very much. Just felt boring to me.

Iā€™ll see if I canā€™t get some match videos someday, but I donā€™t really see those friends much nowadays. We had some pretty insane matches. :slight_smile:

Sounds like modern fighting games too.

Speaking of Maxterā€™s infinite, I decided to make this video to commemorate the epicosity of that combo. I donā€™t think itā€™s particularly game breaking as it takes quite a bit to get in with Maxter, but itā€™s a pretty epic way to turn the tide.

[media=youtube]k0r17BnLGpE[/media]

While it is pretty neato, my stance on it, is that Maxter still really isnā€™t that good. On block, you canā€™t cancel his jabs, just like any other suit, so itā€™s not like you can use it for block pressure or trapping. With so many suits able to do nearly 1 bar of damage if not one bar of damage, the Maxter infinite is just one of the few things it does have going for it. If anything, it makes Maxter more balanced. I liked the video though!

This thread went from zero to fucking awesome over the course of a single week. Keep it up, guys.

Iā€™d love to see a writeup for nu. I lost my copy of the US version of this game and have to play the Japanese versions with my friend. I donā€™t know if you know this, but the Japanese version is split into a After Colony lineup and a Future Century lineup with the Universal Century suits split up between the games, effectively meaning 2 games with half a roster in each. It means I have to choose between which Amuro suit I get to play depending on version :frowning:

edit:

AS IT GOD DAMN SHOULD

I used to play Nu as my secondary, but I never bothered to learn real combos with it. Though I donā€™t think Nu has the best combo potential anyways. I am gravitating more towards Master and Hygogg for my alts nowadays. When I played Nu, I mostly relied on fin funnel defense and whatnot. :stuck_out_tongue: If I can figure everything out to where Iā€™m comfortable writing about it, Iā€™d be happy to do so.

Honestly, nu doesnā€™t need combos as it needs to use funnel mixups to get the opponent to stop blocking long enough to eat massive beam rifle damage. Kind of like how Gundam can poke people into Gundam Hammer without comboing too long for fear of killing damage scaling on the mega special.

FINALLY got my replacement copy of the game in the mail!

As for Nu Gundam, I do think heā€™s pretty good with those funnels. Indestructible and last I checked they do the most overall damage. They arenā€™t as useful for bridging combos together like Quin, Rose, Sazabi, etcā€¦ but itā€™s pretty satisfying taking no damage from buster rifle without even having to hold back. Just an hour ago I was practicing with Nu gundam against my younger brother and was trying to pay attention to the different positions the funnels take depending on where you are and how you stand. They seem to nudge in front of you more if you duck as oppose to when you stand. If youā€™re standing, thereā€™s a gap where vulcan shots can hit you, so duck against those. They also take a while to get back to you if you perform a dash. Iā€™ll write up more when I get more time with the game.

Yeah, they are very apt at protecting you from zoning tactics! :smiley:

I wasnā€™t expecting to be ready to do this so soon, but Iā€™ve been enjoying it a lot and grinding it out. I guess I really miss playing Nu after all! So here is RX-93 Nu Gundam as requested! :smiley:

[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]COMMAND NORMALS (****SKILL MOVES)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]N/A[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]SPECIAL MOVES (ATTACK COMMANDS)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Beam Rifle - QCF+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This is Nu Gundamā€™s ammo special. The LP version fires a single shot that costs 40 ammo points. The HP version fires three shots and costs 120 ammo points. Usable on the ground or from the air, It fires particle beams that consume any of your opponentā€™s solid-state projectiles that get in its path. Each shot does respectable damageā€“slightly more damage per beam than RX-78ā€™s, and the start-up of Nuā€™s Beam Rifle is also faster than that of RX-78ā€™s. I find myself mostly using the LP version, as the HP version doesnā€™t continue to track well after the first shot, causing misses and wasted ammo. However, Nuā€™s cone of possible shot angles is noticeably more limited than RX-78ā€™s. LP Beam Rifle harassment is certainly viable for Nu, and the HP version is very good damage to punish from long range. Safe on block.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Jumping Knee - QCF+K[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Nu Gundam jumps up and slightly forward, striking with a rising knee attack. Usable from the ground or while in the air, Jumping Knee has several frames of start-up invincibility and begins fairly quickly, making it a very solid attack to use as a general anti-air, or while being pressured predictably. On hit, Jumping Knee slightly lifts the opponent off of the ground, and the recovery is cancelable while airborne, allowing for follow-up hits. On the downside, Jumping Knee does not cause a knockdown. It is also very unsafe if guarded.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Beam Saber (unblockable) - HCB+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]A standard unblockable attack. While the start-up and recovery of this attack are average, the saberā€™s length and damage are slightly improved. The saber sweeps in a forward arc from above the suitā€™s head, netting up to 3 hits. Can potentially anti-air, as the first active frames are directly above.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Funnel Dispatch - HCF+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Nu Gundam readies three of its signature fin funnels. Funnel Dispatch is usable on the ground or in the air. These funnels are very unique in that they are completely indestructible, and they have the ability to completely deflect any and all projectile attacks they come into contact with! Fin funnels will persist indefinitely until Funnel Attack is used. In addition, they follow Nu Gundam everywhere it goes, with only minor delay, and will even compress their formation while crouching! It is best to use Funnel Dispatch as a cancel after a cr.HP sweep, as a cancel after a j.HP, or from the relative safety of the air. Conditioning your opponent to block a few single Beam Rifle shots can also be a viable way of buying time for Funnel Dispatch. While fin funnels are active, the Beam Rifle special move is no longer possible, and is replaced by Funnel Attack, sharing the same command.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Funnel Attack - QCF+P (while fin funnels are dispatched)[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Previously dispatched fin funnels match your opponentā€™s altitude and fire three horizontal beam shots at them. This can be used while on the ground, or from the air. Fin funnels donā€™t cost ammo, so liberal use of this attack is generally encouraged. Funnel Attack can be executed with either LP or HP to essentially the same effect, but itā€™s important to keep in mind that Nu Gundam will also still attack with the punch associated with the button used if possible. This special move has a lot of uses. Start-up frames, recovery frames, block stun, hit stun, even while knocked down, you can attack with the fin funnels at any time without exception! It has combo potential, it can be used to cover your Beam Saber start-up, and it makes for an excellent harassment tool. Unfortunately, because the beams fired from the fin funnels only travel horizontally, itā€™s not uncommon for a beam (or two!) to miss completely against smaller mobile suits.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Vernier Mode - QCF+thruster[/LEFT]
[LEFT]For Nu, I donā€™t personally see much of any significant use for this. Catching runaways is a task better left to fin funnels, and it doesnā€™t seem to open up any new combo options for Nu. It does provide armor against attacks as long as they donā€™t have knock down or launcher properties, but you cannot block attacks! During Vernier Mode, it is possible to dodge up to 3 times. Lasts approximately 5 seconds, requires full thruster gauge.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]SUPER (****MEGA SPECIAL ATTACK)[/LEFT]

[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]N/A[/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOTES[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]-s.LK is actually a low-hitting attack.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.HK and j.HK launches low on any or all of the three hits.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.HK, cr.HK, and j.HK all deflect projectiles and have no hittable box on the fin funnels.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.HP launches slightly away on hit.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-cr.HP is a sweep, and is Nu Gundamā€™s only knock down attack.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-j.LK remains active indefinitely until you land, and it starts up the fastest of Nuā€™s air normals.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-Nu Gundamā€™s forward run is thruster-improved.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.HK, cr.HK, and j.HK all deflect projectiles and have no hittable box on the fin funnels. [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]COMBO APPENDIX[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]1.) s.LK, s.LP, s.HP, s.HK[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This very simple combo starts with a fast, low-hitting attack and is actually Nuā€™s bread and butter combo while fin funnels arenā€™t active. It might be short, but the damage isnā€™t that bad. Omit the s.LK if confirming from your jab pressure.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]2.) cr.LP, cr.HP xx Funnel Dispatch[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This sweep combo is not useful for damage, as it really doesnā€™t do any significant amount. It does, however, knock your opponent down, readies your fin funnels and leaves you with a few frames of advantage.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]3.) Jumping Knee, j.HP xx Funnel Dispatch[/LEFT]
A combo using a successful Jumping Knee attack to ready your fin funnels. This leaves you at minor frame disadvantage, but the j.HP will swat your opponent quite a distance away from you. Any would-be successful attempts made to attack you can be thwarted one way or another with your new fin funnels. Against medium-sized or larger opponents, you can substitute Funnel Dispatch with j.HK in situations where you already have funnels available or would rather have a little extra free damage.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]4.) j.LK, j.HP xx Funnel Dispatch[/LEFT]
[LEFT]A very standard, simple and effective air-to-air combo for moderate damage, also readies your fin funnels. If fin funnels are already active, you can substitute j.LK for Funnel Attack (j.LP), and add a j.HK at the end for significant extra damage.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]5.) cr.LP, s.LP, Funnel Attack (s.LP), s.HP, s.HK[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Requires active fin funnels. High damage can be achieved easily with the use of Nuā€™s fin funnels within the basic chain sequence. The s.LP is still an important part of the chain, so you must use the LP button when using Funnel Attack in this combo.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]6.) Funnel Attack (s.LP) xx Jumping Knee, j.HP, j.HK[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Requires active fin funnels. This combo doesnā€™t start from a low attack, nor does it serve to hit-confirm for the fin funnels, but the damage output is noticeably higher than that of combo 5. Great for punishment![/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]STRENGTHS[/LEFT]

[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-fin funnels[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-excellent projectile defense[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-good anti-air[/LEFT]
-very strong pokes
[LEFT]-effective from virtually any range[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-solid ground game and competent air game[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-particle beam-based ammo attack[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-thrusted run[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-decently damaging combos[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-easy execution[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-no terrible match-ups[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-higher armor[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]WEAKNESSES[/LEFT]

[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]-no super[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-no overhead attack[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-only knock down attack is cr.HP[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-fin funnel dependency[/LEFT]

I think it would be more accurate to make a tier list based on all the mobile suits rather than divide them up based on series. Your listing of Wing Zero and Heavy Arms being lower than Deathscythe is questionable. Wing Zero can bird tackle through anything. Heavy Arms can lock down almost anything with projectiles. I would put those two mobile suits in my top 5 of the game.

I used only those mobile suits because those are the ones Iā€™ve spent the most time with, seeing as Iā€™ve done video guides for them. Once I do more guides and spend more time with other suits, Iā€™ll add to that list, and eventually have a complete one, but I really want to take my time with it. The more I spend time with an individual character, the more I learn about it. Before I started these guides, I would have put Tallgeese higher than Altron, and probably Heavyarms above Wing Zero.

Perhaps Wing Zero I can understand, although itā€™s not like you can bird tackle out of block stun, so if youā€™re pinned down by atomic slash thereā€™s not much you can do. And going on the offense with bird tackle is a bad idea because of itā€™s post lag vulnerability. Youā€™d have to expect deathscytheā€™s attacks and react accordingly, but whoā€™s to say the deathscythe player wonā€™t be just as skilled? Thatā€™s a tough call, but Iā€™d honestly put my money on DeathScythe in that match up.

As for Heavy Arms, Deathscythe has so many tools to get past his projectiles itā€™s almost ridiculous. Atomic slash eating through projectiles and shielding him from them, teleports, unblockable attacks that combo to and from atomic slash, even DeathScytheā€™s most braindead strategy of rushing and doing his air loop has little risk against a Heavyarms playing keep-away.

Heavyarms is a great keep away character with great close and long ranged damage, but shells are a liability against beam using suits in the grand scheme of things, and thereā€™s a lot of ways to get around Heavyarmsā€™ attacks, especially with DeathScythe.

Edit: sorry Iā€™ve been so slow with the video guide updates, but I just recently got a new copy of the game to replace the one my brother broke years ago, and Iā€™ve been re-unlocking everything. Plus work has been a pain in the butt. The next video will be the second part of the Altron guide, and Iā€™ll be using a louder mic (hopefully). Seems like the part 2ā€™s tend to do a lot worse than my part 1ā€™s. Probably because I promote them less.

If you delayed dodge (or at least thatā€™s what I call itā€¦), Heavyarms canā€™t totally lock down much of anyone. Bird Tackle, super (Wing Zero), Atomic Slash, teleport, Shotel Slice, Altronā€™s cr.HPā€¦ they all help out a lot against Heavyarms with delayed dodges. That is, dodge-cancelling block stun in such a way that you come out of the dodge sooner than you would have come out of block stun. Wing Zero can indefinitely stay well out of harmā€™s way firing buster rifle shots as well, leaving Heavyarms with very few good options. I donā€™t even know what heā€™d do about that exactly. Go vernier mode and dodge or tank a couple shots to attempt to clip those wings momentarily?

Heavyarms is pretty good, donā€™t get me wrong, but I still think it is a liability sometimes, and very easy to counter-pick. If you venture outside of the Wing suits, anyone with a shield certainly gives it trouble as well. The list goes on. Iā€™m sure he has a hell of a time against ZZ or Master, just for a couple of examples. Mid tier at best.

EDIT: So, all these years until now, despite owning a real copy of the game and having the instruction manual, I never knew about ā€œaerial dodgeā€ where you press up during a dodge and when the dodge ends, the suit gains a bit of altitude. How embarrassing!

Deathscythe is #1 when you ban bosses.

Fact.

If you could provide some examples and/or data as to why you think Heavy Arms would have trouble against Master Gundam Iā€™d love to hear them. I find it very hard to imagine that being a bad match-up for Heavy Arms. The trouble with all these theories and tiers is that there never was a high level tournament scene or any tournament scene for this game so thereā€™s no statistical data to back up anyoneā€™s opinions. Right now everyone posting in this thread including myself probably spends the majority of the time playing this game against the level 9 CPU and not actual people. Or maybe casually once a week with a small group of friends. If someone could get side tournies for this game going at majors on a regular basis then we would get some match-up data.

You really donā€™t need to worry about damage scaling with RX-78 if you can take out the 1st life bar. If you combo 3 mega specials (Gundam Hammers) it takes out 2 life bars. So you can just use your beam rifle for the 1st bar and then youā€™re one stun away from a KO.