Gundam Battle Assault 2

I felt the announcer had some great lines in the game. Whenever he says “Checkmate! Glory to the winner” I thought was pretty cool compared to most games that just said “K.O.!”

The only problem I had with the game was it not being fast pace enough. My experience in a Gundam fighting game came from Endless Duel which I loved to death.

I guess the game is a bit slow in terms of regular movement, since they are giant robots, but at the same time the normal and special attack exchanges can get pretty fast-paced depending on who you pick.

One thing I don’t like is how Guarding a normal is usually the end of an approach and due to how far back you’re pushed and the post lag that comes from being blocked, making cross-ups hard to exist for some characters, but that just means you have to be creative about how to approach and get a hit in.

Ah yeah, I remember watching that second video of yours. It’s pretty good and I remember commenting on it about RX-78 (my main).

If you think the game is slow, you’re mostly right, but I also think you need to fight some Rose players. They can show you the other end of the spectrum hahaha…

I quit playing this game when my Master Gundam was beaten by my friend’s Ball.

Yeah this game is godlike. I remember getting pissed off at my bro for picking Deathscythe… fucker was broken until I discovered heavy arms. However, they were beatable. Wing Zero was goddamn Cable of the game and could zone you out well, and Epyon was beast too. Zaku-II S was good along with Tallgeese, Burning Gundam, Master Gundam, and I felt like Rose gundam was a good character too.

I made a new guide for Wing Zero today. I didn’t go as in-depth in terms of combos, but I showed the guarding properties some of his special moves has. I especially like how his shotgun can block Heavyarms’s missiles. I’ll mention it in part two, but the shotgun is more useful for stopping someone from getting near you because of how far spread it goes. I just wish I could work it’s close range part into a combo somehow.

anywyay here’s the video.

[media=youtube]Vu67qT1LIyA[/media]

just ban the top row minus Epyon and it’s good. He’s got some dumb stuff, but he’s not unbeatable by any means.

Well, if someone invested time into, say, Neue Ziel, I wouldn’t be bothered by it. I really think only Devil and Psycho need to be banned at this point. If anything, I have a more watchful eye on Epyon. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was toying around with Epyon the other day and yeah I don’t know if he’s really a fair character sometimes. His whip is just really good for keeping people from getting close, as well as dishing out good damage, and his unblockable is incredibly fast for an unblockable. That’s not even getting into his 8 way dash attack thing. I still think he’s not as bad as Hydra and his neigh-impenetrable block.

Though I haven’t found any particularly long or damaging combos with Epyon that don’t involve just cancelling into his super. He does have one where he knocks you into the air and you can whip them a lot for chip damage as they block you, but nothing as good as my wing zero or sandrock combos. I’ll look more into him later, since right now I’m working with Heavyarms.

EDIT: I finished a another movelist/guide for heavyarms. Unfortunately I picked a bad stage for recording (lots of stuff happening in the background) so there was a lot of lag and frame dropping so the footage is a bit more choppy than usual, but for the most part it gets the job done.

[media=youtube]2dxq4_6CIEY[/media]

The two main gripes we had in our circle about Epyon would be his cr.HP whip spam keeping people off of the ground entirely. Some suits don’t have too big of a problem being in the air all the time, but some really need ground to fight well. The other is the 8-way hyper armor attack you mentioned. He also has that crazy twd.HP poke. As you said, his unblockables are pretty good too.

Hydra has probably the best defense but I could never get a good feel for going on the offensive with him. Grabs are pretty good in this game and I think that causes problems for him if he stays on the ground, which I feel is really where his best tools are. It’s hard to crack him if the player is very patient, but I never really feel especially threatened by him.

This was an enjoyable game, mostly because no one character was OP all others. Even Dark and Psycho MKIII can be stomped by the right counter. Counter-picking would ruin any tournament before it started, so every participant(just a suggestion) should pick three gundams they’ll fight with. The top row should be banned excepting Epyon. He’s a reasonable challenge by those who know how to use him, but is no trouble to those who know how to fight him. Three gundams makes it much more difficult for someone to try and bullshit their way through with Gundam Hammer or a million projectiles from Heavyarms(a great way to waste Epyon, btw).

Unfortunately I’m on the west coast, but ever since my near-rival no longer plays me, I would look forward to being challenged by Rose/Master/Tallgeese III/whatever mobile suit everyone likes to play with. I’m decent with Hygogg/Zeong and vicious with Ball, but my three choices…will wait for their challenge.

btw…how does one get the title screen background seen here? http://spong.com/asset/81178/1/11031729

This is the latest video I’ve made for GBA2 and it’s for Tallgeese III. I plan to do all the wing gundam suits with epyon last, and then do all the G gundam gundams, and then just go from there.

[media=youtube]aF3ojYzD8ko[/media]

to anyone who has this game and is interested in helping, I’m having trouble finding combos for deathscythe and Altron.

Altron is a very slow character but with good normals, but I have trouble really racking up that damage. His super is really only useful for racking extra damage off of a knockdown like his unlisted unblockable.

as for deathscythe, I just suck with him. I know that his crouching HP combos into atomic slash, which causes the opponent to rise up, allowing you to jump/boost at your opponent and do more attacks, but I’m kinda stumped on what to do. It’s possible to do another atomic slash if you attack long enough for the first one to go away, but the timing is a bit strict and I can’t help but feel there’s probably an easier way of racking damage considering he’s supposed to be the best freaking character in the game.

This was one of the first games I got when I started building my collection. though I traded it towards Soul Blade, RE: Directors Cut and Dead or Alive.
While I had it I really did enjoy it but as I had no one to play it with at the time it’s entertainment faded on me, but seeing as there are others who are interested it does make me want it again.

So I got some help with Altron from a guy on Gamefaqs, and his two big combos seem to be these

qcbLK>jLP>jLK>jHK>jqcbHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP

and

LP>dLP>LK>HK>dpHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP alternatively LP>dLP>LK>HP>(kind of)hcbfHP>dash>dqcfLP+HP

but that’s really only two and considering how good/weird his moves are I was hoping I could find a bit more than that.

I would love to throw down in a side tournament of this at Evo. Especially considering that I’m not alone in playing Rose Gundam (airdash funnel mixups! holy shit!) but I also kind of want to see the response competent players would have to Dragon Gundam’s flag blockstun traps. Argh what a fucking good game!

For the record, it had: magic series, proper damage scaling, crazy meter management, high mobility, special cancels, super cancels, unique bursts, comboable throws, mandatory unblockable normals (save for Heavyarms), CvS2 dodges, counterpicks, overheads, and damn good character variety. Shit, nu Gundam is basically O. Sagat put into a Marvel game. There’s no nostalgia involved; the game was an objectively good fighter.

This post caused manly tears to fall down my face

I remember this game. Loved it like crazy. Think I lost it though. No, no, didn’t lose it. Yeah, I sold it for like $5 to a friend in elementary school because I needed lunch money or somethin’. Either way. Barely remember it, but I remember it bein’ fun.

So I’m approaching the end of the Wing Gundam characters in terms of making guides for them, so I thought I’d write out my explanation of my opinionated tier list solely for those characters.

I read in one of the tier topics that we can use tiers as a tool to learn more about the characters and that early lists are supposed to be debated, proven wrong and debunked, and I think that’s a fantastic sentiment. If I get anything wrong in this list, please tell me because I want to learn as much about this game as possible and I really want people to get into this great game.

Top Tier:
Deathscythe: unblockables that combo into a special move that can, with the right timing, be comboed to and from more unblockables. His main strategy is rushing and performing his air loop. Of all the tool assisted combos in the combo video on youtube for this game, his is the easiest to replicate. It’s pretty amazing how he can just bypass all cross ups and guarding just by being deathscythe. I’ve never beaten people more easily than I have with death scythe. Also he has an 8 way teleport, and yes, he can do it more than once in the air. Mobility, invulnerability, unblockability, god of death indeed. (edit, upon further stits in the lab, I’ve noticed the the only unblockable that can truly combo into atomic slash jHP, which is still powerful, but not as much as say if cHP did so, which it doesn’t seem to. Because of this, he’s not unbeatable, but still slightly a better choice than epyon imo.)

Epyon: fast unblockables and very strong and long ranged normals that can keep opponents off the ground and pressure them constantly. I haven’t spent much time with him recently so there may be even more untapped potential in this character, but from what I know right now, he is very very good.

A tier:

Wing Zero: Buster Rifle is an incredible special move. High tracking, good chunk of damage, destroys and eats through all bullets and missiles, and it OTGs so it’s a good combo ender. AND it covers a good chunk of the screen since he fires two beams, not just one. And it uses no ammo. Besides that he has great damage potential, plenty of other great specials, including one that blocks all projectiles, etc… He’s just all around great.

B tier:

Heavyarms: can practically cover the screen with projectiles just using his normals alone, let alone his powerful missiles and gatling barrel attacks. He’s the quintessential keep away character but with incredible damage long range and close range, a lot of which is safe on block. He’s B tier because, while possessing similar keep away and damage properties as Wing Zero, in this game Beam weapons kick the shit out of shells. Any competent Wing Zero player should be able to beat a spam-heavy heavyarms.

Sandrock: epic mid-range pressure and even mix-up with heavy shotel toss and throw, reliable normals, decent speed, and a very useful super move. Sandrock doesn’t have anything flashy, but the overall utilization of all his tools makes him very powerful. Sandrock is also a fantastic counterpick to heavyarms because light shotel toss is fast, full range, and eats through all of heavyarms’ bullets and missiles, as does Earth Slash. In fact he should probably be higher than Heavyarms.

C tier:

Altron: at first glance he seems disappointing because of his super being useless on its own and not a lot of his moves being safe on block, but when you learn his combos and realize how awesome some of his heavier normals are, you can mess with your opponent and deal some serious damage, extending said damage by comboing into your super. His one flaw is that his only full on projectile isn’t that great, so long ranged and keep away characters will be a challenge for Altron I think, since Guard tackle doesn’t really work well as an approach. (you take no damage during guard tackle, but you get pushed back to square one after being hit)

Tallgeese III: I had a tough time with this character. his combos on the ground are great and he has some great air pokes in LP and LK, but virtually none of his moves are safe on block, and his projectiles, all of which use ammo, use so much ammo that he’s essentially a close range only character, and aside from LK (not safe on block) he doesn’t really have a way to get in, especially against heavy arms or Wing Zero.

again, that’s just counting the wing characters, who are the ones I’ve spent the most time with this past month and a half. Next I’m going to do guides for the G gundam characters, so when I’m done with that I’ll mix them into my overall list. (And again, this is all opinion, I’ve only gotten a few good PvP matches in since I’ve started playing this game seriously)

I’m not going to argue any points against your Wing tier list, because I more or less completely agree. I do want to add a few notes though. Wing Zero and Deathscythe are capable of staying in the air indefinitely, a priceless strategy for running the clock on a life lead, or in Wing Zero’s case, continuing buster rifle shots. WZ might even be top tier. These two suits make Storm’s runaway seem manageable.

Pretty much nailed it with Heavyarms. It’s also worth noting that attacks such as Wing Zero’s advancing wing blocking attack get in for free. I still think most people seem to think Heavyarms is a lot better than it actually is. Middle tier sounds about right to me.

Altron is pretty good. It has a lot of trouble with real zoning techniques though, and really has to pick and choose when to dodge and extend the claw. I think it has potential to win more or less any match-ups (nothing crazy one-sided I can think of), but I feel like someone would have to dedicate themselves to really learn the ins and outs for Altron.

Tallgeese has a few interesting things. I don’t think he is necessarily meant to get in. Attacks like the DP+K and QCB+P support this idea. I feel like using the punch version of its ammo is the standard way to go about it unless you really need the penetration. It is probably better off fighting from mid-range. Its QCB+P attack has fast start-up and generally pushes back enough for it to be safe (you shouldn’t really use it when in close). Like many suits in this game, Tallgeese has a dive kick that can lead into a combo, though it is unsafe on block, so care must be taken. S.HK seems to be fairly abusable. S.HP is very fast and causes a hard knock down. Both of these normals seem to be unpunishable on block. Its jump LP is amazing also. As far as beam supers go, Tallgeese seems to do less damage (shorter duration), but on the plus side, it also seems to start-up faster than average. DP+P seems to be of limited use on it’s own (maybe there is combo potential, I don’t really know, but it can be used in the air), and I think cr.HP is a better anti-air. One of its strongest points to me, though, was how fast and ranged his unblockable is. The start-up is absurdly quick!

Alright, I’ve been kinda working on this on the side, so here it goes… RX-78!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1987/gundamrx782.jpg

[LEFT]COMMAND NORMALS (****SKILL MOVES)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Trample - (in air) dwn+HK[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Causes hard knock down. Hit box allows for cross-ups. Interestingly quite similar to Doctor Doom’s j.S in UMvC3, one of the main differences being that it doesn’t travel indefinitely to the ground. After so many active frames, the attack will cease and RX-78 will continue to fall. If you are very high, the attack does eventually recover, and you are able to perform actions again. If you fly past your opponent and perform a Trample, RX-78 will turn around and dive in the opposite direction, back towards the opponent. The other major distinction is that RX-78’s Trample is completely safe on block, recovering fast enough for you to perform another action or air block. Any successful Trample will set up a Gundam Hammer, or whatever you please. This attack is obviously very useful.[/LEFT]

[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]**SPECIAL MOVES (****ATTACK COMMANDS) **[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Beam Rifle - QCF+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This is RX-78’s ammo special. The LP version fires a single shot that costs 40 ammo points. The HP version fires three shots and costs 120 ammo points. Usable on the ground or from the air, It fires particle beams that consume any of your opponent’s solid-state projectiles that get in its path. Each shot does respectable damage. I find myself mostly using the LP version, as the HP version doesn’t continue to track well after the first shot, causing misses and wasted ammo. The first shot tracks very well and has a very wide range of possible shot angles. Beam Rifle can be used to end combos, but I feel that there are better ways to finish your combos, and I personally prefer to use LP Beam Rifle for random harassment or to punish solid projectiles. I generally only use the HP version if I need a full screen punish, especially while airborne, but these situations shouldn’t come up often. Safe on block.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Shield Uppercut - twd, dwn, twd+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]I generally avoid using this special. Slow start-up and excessive forward movement keep it from being too effective as anti-air. It does have a few niche uses because it actually has upper body invincibility during its start-up. This allows it to beat out some attacks cleanly (Rose’s Kick & Saber for example) if you can react quickly enough. It also has some use in ending combos, but it’s not anything I try to integrate into my game plan often. It hits four times, the last hit and only the last hit causes a hard knock down. This special is horribly unsafe if guarded. Not a true dragon punch motion, you actually need to hit the directions I’ve listed.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Beam Saber (unblockable) - HCB+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]RX-78’s standard unblockable attack. Damage, start-up, range, recovery–it is average in every way. The saber sweeps in a forward arc from above the suit’s head, netting up to 3 hits. Can potentially anti-air, as the first active frames are directly above.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Gundam Javelin (unblockable) - (in air) HCB+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]RX-78 has an aerial unblockable attack, and this would be it. The start-up is about the same as Beam Saber, but Javelin thrusts a javelin (go figure) downwards at a 45 degree angle. The attack does 3 hits, all active hit boxes in the same spot. RX-78 descends very little during the entire special. I find this to be useful for stopping my jump trajectory with an unblockable attack. It’s also fun to use to hit knocked down opponents. When timed right, repeated use of this special from high up buys enough time for your thrusters to recharge, allowing you to stay airborne indefinitely. Obviously useful.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Helmet Hit (unblockable) - QCB+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]RX-78 lifts slightly and comes down and forward with the beam saber in a stabbing fashion, hitting up to 4 times. When it comes to actually hitting the opponent, this is probably the most useful of RX-78’s unblockables. The start-up is slightly faster than the standard Beam Saber, and the horizontal range is much better, moving forward about half-screen. This attack is great for meaty pressure, forcing your opponent to dodge/shield. It’s also worth noting that the rising start-up of this special can cause some low attacks to whiff under it![/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Vulcans - back, twd+P (rapid tap)[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Tapping punch rapidly once executing this special greatly prolongs the attack. Vulcans have very short range, but RX-78 sweeps them up and down to cover a decent area in front of you. I like to use this special to pressure knocked down opponents, doing minor damage while they are downed, and it lasts long enough to force opponents to block and eat the chip on wake-up. Safe on block.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Hammer Punch - HCF+P[/LEFT]
[LEFT]RX-78 swings the Gundam Hammer (not to be confused with the super) straight forward, stopping just short of full-screen status. This special has very niche uses, but I wouldn’t call it useless. There are 4 hits, the final hit being quite delayed, occurring while the hammer falls to the ground. Some opponent’s with lacking ranged attacks can have difficulty punishing this on block because the delayed final hit. However, some opponents can punish it, even on hit! You really have to learn what this works against, and keep it in your pocket for those times you need a long range punish but you don’t want to super (enemy low on current life bar) or use ammo. It’s also worth noting that Hammer Punch can block nearly any projectiles or beams during active frames.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Vernier Mode - QCF+thruster[/LEFT]
[LEFT]For RX-78, this is primarily only used to attempt to swat down vertical runaways: Wing Zero, Deathscythe, another RX-78, etc. trying to run the clock with the life lead. Flight Mode is your best means of catching them. It provides armor against attacks as long as they don’t have knock down or launcher properties, but you cannot block attacks! During Vernier Mode, it is possible to dodge up to 3 times. Lasts approximately 5 seconds, requires full thruster gauge.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]SUPER (****MEGA SPECIAL ATTACK)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Gundam Hammer - QCF + any two attack buttons[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Wow! RX-78 swings the Gundam Hammer in a large sweeping arc from above it over to the ground in front of it. This super does only a single hit for massive damage to targets in the danger zone, causing a hard knock down and potentially combos into itself. Invincible start-up, which is actually somewhat uncommon in this game, but the invincibility wears out before it will hit a grounded opponent. There is a minimum range, keeping suits that are too close safe (the chain has no hit box), as well as a maximum range, but the hit box is rather large. Gundam Hammer is easily one of the better supers in the game, and is one of RX-78’s strongest aspects. The start-up is incredibly fast. The damage is well above average. It’s just awesome! It’s very easy to tag onto the end of many different combos. It’s fairly easy to use as a reaction punish to many things your opponents may do. As mentioned earlier, you get a free Gundam Hammer opportunity from any successful Trample. Gundam Hammer as anti-air is certainly an option. Even if the damage is set very low through handi-cap, a naked Gundam Hammer will go through an entire health bar on all but the most heavily-armored opponents. An interesting way to use this super is with an option select. Using s.HP or cr.HP, which are both decent poking tools, and buffering Gundam Hammer, you can option select for massive damage! Both versions of HP can only be super-cancelled on hit. On block, you needn’t worry about wasting a super. Gundam Hammer is even fast enough to swat opponents trying to get out of their knock down with flight recovery. It’s been called cheap a few times.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]NOTES[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]-cr.HK is actually RX-78’s overhead, which has rather slow start-up and is unsafe on block, but can be chained into and out of.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-cr.HP is RX-78’s sweep.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.HK launches far on hit.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-s.LK launches low on hit. Chains into cr.HK.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-j.LK remains active indefinitely until you land. It starts up fastest of RX-78’s air normals. It also affects RX-78’s collision boxes, sometimes causing some very ambiguous jump-in situations.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-j.HK can be used to anti-air, the hit box starts above RX-78’s head.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]COMBO APPENDIX[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]1.) cr.LP, s.LK, cr.HK, j.LP, j.HP, Trample, land, Gundam Hammer[/LEFT]
This is RX-78’s standard bread and butter combo. While Gundam Hammer is the only way to end it as a true combo, impossible to escape via thruster recovery, there are other follow-up possibilities that can be used if the opponent has too little health for the super to be worthwhile, supers have all been exhausted, or they simply opt to remain in the knock down state. One option is run, cr.LK, cr.HP, after which you have a bit of extra time advantage to do as you please. Another option is run, Vulcans, which is a better option if you basically want to try to force them to block on wake-up. You could also forward jump with Gundam Javelin for some damage and style points, delay slightly for meaty unblockable.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]2.) cr.LP, cr.LP, cr.LK, cr.HP xx Gundam Hammer[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This simplified combo into super can be used in place of RX-78’s more advanced combos while you’re still getting the hang of the character, or in match-ups where combo 1 doesn’t connect properly (Hygogg for example). Two jabs will ensure your opponent will never be too close, which can cause Gundam Hammer to whiff. The damage is lower, but not by much![/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]3.) s.HP/cr.HP xx Gundam Hammer[/LEFT]
[LEFT]A very easy to use option select to turn good poking tools into massive damage! On block, neither version of HP can be super cancelled, so just buffer your super during your poking with HP.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]4.) j.LP, j.HP, j.HK[/LEFT]
[LEFT]A simple and effective air-to-air combo for moderate damage. Trample in place of j.HK can sometimes work depending on positioning, but I wouldn’t call it reliable.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]5.) Gundam Hammer, run, Gundam Hammer, run, Gundam Hammer[/LEFT]
[LEFT]This combo is super effective (yes, that was a pun) for pissing off the other guy. Running in between supers isn’t always necessary. I wouldn’t recommend using this sequence after any extended combo unless it will win the fight, but by itself, or after s.HP/cr.HP/Trample, it does too much damage. Way too much…[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]STRENGTHS[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]-incredible super[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-Trample[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-large move list with a lot of utility[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-capable of permanent air time using Gundam Javelin and thrusters[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-fairly strong pokes[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-versatile and effective from virtually any range or position[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-solid ground game and competent air game[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-particle beam-based ammo attack[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-multiple situational unblockables[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-strong combos and damage[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-no terrible match-ups[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]WEAKNESSES[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]

[LEFT]-weak high-low game (slow overhead, lackluster low-hitting attacks)[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-weak/unreliable anti-air game[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-difficulty dealing with solid rush down/pressure, no real “get off me” tools.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]-lower armor[/LEFT]