Gundam Battle Assault 2

Without a doubt. Me and some of my friends still play high level GBA 2. Gundam has some really good competitive games like Gundam vs Gundam and Endless Duel on the Super NES.

This game was pretty silly at high level. Lots of chars with crazy ass hit confrims, poke games, resets and lots of nonsense, but fun as hell. Gundam Rose was insane as a rushdown/footsie char.

Hahahaā€¦ Agreed. Iā€™m a Master Gundam user :P, and itā€™s difficult to kill dark with him. Even when using Master Cross (i think itā€™s called) into a super. Works well on those super move spammers, been a while since I played, but I still love the fact someone brought it to EVO. 09ā€™ though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Started playing this game again on PS3. Took about 4 hours to clear street with Maxter on hard.

This game is prolly one of my fav. ps1 fighters. Its just so underrated. Damn shame Battle Assualt 3 blew.
Iā€™d like to see another one possibly back to BA2 mechanics. And i wouldnā€™t mind 3D on a 2D plane.
Sure as hell would beat another goddam Dynasty Warriors Gundam game.

The closest thing weā€™re gonna get is Gundam Extreme Vs for the PS3. And thatā€™s probably gonna be an import only title.

I won a 44 man tournament for this game about 8 years ago haha

top 8 was 5 heavy arms 1 RX78 1 burning (me) and a dark

good times

the game litterally died immediately after the tournament and havnt played it again is there a place to play this online nowadays?

Holy shit, it actually had a tournament?

There better have been some fucking footage of that shit. I played the shit out of this game casually way back when.

Also, Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s some kind of netplay plugin for the PS1 emulators, but I donā€™t know how good they are.

i dont see how wing zero and burning gundam cant be the best chars in the game

i was always partial to FAZZ and tallgeese 3 though

im going all in on the new ps3 game thoughā€¦

Anyone here going to be at Seasons Beatings? I have a copy I was thinking of bringing but nothing to play it on. I was half considering grabbing a slim PS2 from a pawn shop.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

They are both high tier and wuts scary is there are maybe 8 or so MSā€™s better then them. This game has quite a few good chars one of the things that made this game awesome imo.

What characters are usually banned? Iā€™m assuming all the boss row aside from Hydra Gundam.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

no footage from that tourney :frowning: sorry it was in 2003 very little shit was recorded back then

i dunno if the tourney we had should be an archetype since it was really a cvs2/mvc2 tournament with the gundam tourney on the side and with just a bit of forum hype and like 4-5 hours of casuals half of the people who entered this was the first time they had heard of the game

no chars banned and crap loads of heavy arms

finals were me with burning and a heavy arms player

game woudnt have died if heavy arms wasnt deemed ā€œbrokenā€ and people just gave up on it because of the one character who didnt even take the tournament

Yeah, itā€™s mainly the special bosses that are banned. (Dark, Big Zam, Neue Ziel, Psycho)

Theyā€™re like the giants from TvC except a lot worse because they have no hitstun. You might as well just replace them by overriding their slots with the Gameshark characters.

I have been playing this again recently with a buddy, getting back into it. RX-78 is my choice. :slight_smile:

This game is awesome. Found my copy and started to play recently. I have my save file uploaded for ps3 on gamefaqs if anyone has trouble unlocking.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I got a couple people from my local scene to start playing it too haha! Couple Rose Gundam players now and a God (Burning). Rose is a really interesting and dynamic match-up for RX-78! If we do any money matches in the future Iā€™ll try to remember to post stream info here. :wink:

Iā€™ve been looking for an alt to dump a lot of time into also, right now itā€™s looking like either Hy-Gogg or Master.

As far as banning characters go, I donā€™t know everything about the game, or all the characters, but hereā€™s some of what I think I know:

Heavyarms is not broken, in fact, I donā€™t even think heā€™s that good. He can control a lot of match-ups, and I once heard he has perma-block strings (not a big deal when you can dodge/shield out), but Iā€™ve never seen this myself. Fact is, he has glaring weaknesses. Any character with an I-Field instead of a dodge is a counter-pick, and some without are still a counter-pick. Donā€™t forget you can activate I-Field from block stun. Also, Rose, for example, can throw up a deflector before any bullets would get past it, and from there itā€™s a bit of a toss-up, but if he even gets in once, itā€™s all over. Wing Zero can thrust vertical and qcb+p. All beams in the game cut through any solid state rounds. Master can cloak cancelā€¦ He needs nothing else. Bolt has hyper armor. RX-78 and many others have reaction supers. These are just examples. Heavyarms just seems like a fair character who probably destroys people who are new at the game. I really canā€™t see Heavyarms beating ZZ with players of equal skill for example. Seems like a total counter-pick to me.

Deathscythe is certainly scary, and if he gets you into certain situations, I think he can beat most of the cast, but again, I think he has glaring weaknesses. Even with a teleport, he is susceptible to being zoned, and any suit with an I-Field does not need to worry much about unblockables.

Big Zam and Neue Ziel. Big Zam is strictly a liability, I actually think he is low tier. Neue Ziel Iā€™m not sure about, but I never felt threatened by it. Iā€™ve never fought someone who has committed any real time into it though. Not being able to block is a huge liability, especially when the health bars are shorter, even if there are 5 of them.

Dark and Psycho - bat-shit broken!

Hydra and Epyon I am unsure about. Epyon seems possibly broken with safe hyper armor harassment and his cr.hp keeping people from touching the ground. Some suits probably canā€™t deal with that at all? Hydra seems mostly fair to me, but I just canā€™t say I know enough about him.

The cast seems mostly balanced, but I really think there are bad match-ups in the game. Playing 2-3 characters seems really smart to me.

I just started playing this game again yesterday. It sucks that it game out during the forgotten age (Everythting between SF3 and SF4). Thereā€™s so much potential for silliness between the flight, dodging, and unblockables.

It would be awesome if there were a tournament for this. They could even replace the giant characters with the ā€œhidden charactersā€ to keep the game balanced. I would love to use Quebely against some smart opponents instead of the silly AI.

If anyoneā€™s going to Civil War, Iā€™m going to bring this to play on my laptop (or a Playstation if we really need to)

Itā€™d be cool to get some people to play.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 is basically my favorite fighter. Iā€™ve been making guides for it for the past year, and Iā€™ve been trying to build a bit of a community for it down here in north jersey. Itā€™s tough since thereā€™s no in-game move-list and no tutorial, not even a real training mode, so it takes a bit more dedication to get good at this game than most.

I main Sandrock, which was my favorite gundam in Gundam Wing back in the toonami days. Sandrock is a really overlooked character and one of the reasons why I love this game. Thereā€™s still a lot of things left undiscovered and un-highlighted in this game. Sandrock is a fantastic mid-ranged character with a great lunging unblockable, and his shotel throws/tosses are great for locking someone in hit stun while you run at them and combo them.

I sub Wing Zero and I try to go light on the buster rifle since that can get predictable, though that is a fantastic special move, being a double beam special with relatively minor pre/post lag and it OTGs, even after overheating. But thatā€™s not his only good move. His shotgun beam works as a shield. I once blocked a heavy armsā€™s qcb-p missiles with it, and while he was in hit stun I hit him with a super. I just wish he had a good way of getting in close besides just dashing or jumping in because he has a cool combo on the ground.

I also sub Maxter and Burning. I just love their command dashes/jumps. I used to hate Maxter when I was little, and thought bandai was being borderline racist for making him so weak. How wrong I was after I learned how to combo with him. And of course burning is basically maxter on sterroids.

Lastly I sub Nu Gundam as well. His funnels are great for bridging combos or getting in for combos with those funnel spikes. Sure he has no special, but he doesnā€™t really need one.

Iā€™ve also been working with Master, Talgeese III, Altron and a little Dragon. But really the entire cast are just really fun to play.

As for who should be banned, well obviously Dark Gundam. Itā€™s a shame too because if it werenā€™t for that hitstun and if the unblockable was a bit slower heā€™d be a really fun zoning character.

And clearly Psycho III, though I once killed my friend with him by doing his uppercut 3 times, all the while shouting SHORYUKEN!!!

Big Zam and Neue Ziel imo arenā€™t really broken. The only plus either of them have are high damage and on-reaction supers, which were mentioned, but their inability to block, their overall slowness and the fact that most of their moves can be very easily blocked on reaction imo add up to pretty low tier characters. Ziel especially since overheat cancells whatever you were doing and he overheats 4 times instead of 2 and his defense is pretty low. You can cancel most of his attempts to hit you just by getting behind and rushing him.

I think Epyon is fair so long as you downgrade him to 2 or 3. He does have that armored 8 way dash attack, but itā€™s awkward and you still take damage from it, so he can be pretty easily counter-picked.

Hydra, on the other hand, has fast normals, (especially his lows, on of which does really good damage) lots of beam specials and can block all unblockables by blocking, since his block activates an auto I-field that is unbreakable, making him completely invulnerable to projectiles and all unblockables. The only real way to get at him is with cross ups, and there really arenā€™t a lot of overheads in this game. (I think all characters have at least 1 air overhead) His super also does a lot of damage and itā€™s last hit is unblockable. It was the final boss of the last game for a reason, and itā€™s basically the final boss of street mode, really. Iā€™ve thought about this a while, but I honestly think he should be banned, or at least downgraded to 1 if tournaments ever happened.

Iā€™ve been making a few guides on my youtube channel, but theyā€™re pretty sloppy since itā€™s hard for me to get footage and it always seems that as soon as Iā€™m done making a video, I realize that something I said was wrong, or I end up finding something more interesting after the fact.

Edit: Iā€™m a little reluctant to do this, but here are a few of the videoā€™s iā€™ve made on GBA2

[media=youtube]TprVqDpWBr4[/media] (one adendum is that shotel toss light is full range, not just mid)

[media=youtube]ixTBfMI37LE[/media] (sorry about the voice, I was trying a thing and it didnā€™t work.)