Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition season VI, RIP MarkMan's #BeardStache

and POOF! There go the PS5 preorders!

Let the eBay scalping begin!

“Benefits charity…” how is this even verified? I know I’m a cynical person (something I’ve got to work on) but seriously: is that BS or not?

P.S. someone wake me up when the Slim is released (in black).

2 Likes

I decided to skip on the PS5 preorder.
It’ll be the first platform since the GBA SP in Feb 2003 that I won’t have gotten on launch day.

-GBA SP, GB Micro
-DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL
-3DS, 3DS XL, new 3DS XL
-PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP Go
-Vita-1000 (never got a Vita-2000)
-Wii, Wii-U, Switch
-PS3, PS4 (never got the PS4 Pro)
-Xbox360, XBO (never got the XBO X)
were all bought on launch day.

1 Like

Reminds me of the PS2 shortages back in the day. It was a whole year before I can get my hands on a PS2.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember the PS2 shortages.
Oddly enough, they were pretty plentiful here in Canada overall, so my brother was buying them from our local Best Buys and selling them across the border to Americans.

3 Likes

I’m gonna hold out on buying a ps5 until they either have a special edition or make that a reasonably smaller size. It is the biggest console I’ve ever seen since an Atari 5200.

1 Like

I hear ya.
I don’t like the aesthetic of the PS5’s design, and I’ve always wanted to get the slim/better models of consoles if anything for the space-saving factor (I have both the OG and super-slims of PS3 and X360, but only the OG models of the PS4 and XBO).

1 Like

they wont have a decent game that pushes the system to near its limits for 2 or 3 years at least

has any game this gen pushed x1x or ps4pro to its limits?

2 Likes

As long as SFVI or New KI2 ( I can dream right ) aren’t Sony or Microsoft exclusives then I think I can survive on last gen ( PS4, XBone, and Swithc are finally last gen :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ) systems and PC for a while.

1 Like

No, we just got poorly optimized crap that can’t be bothered to hit a steady 60 FPS at 1080.

I’ve mentioned it before, but these days 90%+ of my gaming is done on the Switch.
I’ve only used my XBO for scheduled online gaming with friends (we only play Gears and Halo together, and none of us have XBL Gold right now, so it’s all moot at the moment); my PS4 only gets used for the PS4 exclusives like Spider-Man, FF7R, RE2R, etc. But outside of that, I mainly play Switch. So technically, I’m in zero rush for the PS5/XBsX.

2 Likes

For me it’s mostly PC and Switch with PS4 for exclusives. I own a 360 but haven’t touched it in years.
and that not mentioning old consoles or the MiSTer.

Maybe PS5 down the road. Far as I seen it the MODE and my DMG Gameboy been my more exciting gaming purchases.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t there a Jak and Daxter game that pushed the PS2 or PS3 to its limits.

Have like a shadow memory of an episode of the Super Best Friendcast where they said there was an interview with the devs, where they said they were able to get every last once of potential out of the system ( PS2 or PS3, whichever one they were talking about at the time ) for their game, by running an exploit to have the system run some of the game’s assets on the PS1 chip too. Also that it was hard AF to code, and that they would never do that again :sweat_smile:

Kinda found it, at 7:20

1 Like

Were talking the PS4 and Xbox One, But Honestly DOOM Eternal pushed the PS4 harder with optimized code better than anything else.

So a certain someone here has made it back onto my ignore list.
But there has been times I want to take them off of the ignore list just to see how bad the trainwreck is.
Fighting the urge…

2 Likes

Create a black hole trap thread whose gravity is so strong said person cannot resist but posting only there…

Perhaps a build log for a left handed fightstick that’ll work on Wii U and 3DO with a built in CRT, hmm?

2 Likes

If you’re referring to who I’m thinking you are, I’m wondering how they ever left that list in the first place. Nothing I’ve [unfortunately] read from that user (which is easy, as Tech Talk is riddled with their shitposts) is of any true/real relevance or insight.

Pretty much my experience on SRK forums has been relegated to this thread. Thankfully it has not yet been infiltrated. Once that does happen though, dude better get Whack-a-mole’d right quick or I’m ghosting until he’s gone.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure either. [shrug]
For a (short?) while it seemed like things were on track for improvement, but maybe they just hadn’t posted very much during that period.
It might have been optimistic of me to think that we could’ve gotten some change for the better, I guess.

But I agree that, other than the occasional post to help with a diagram, I’m mostly chatting with you guys here.

2 Likes

These forums (especially Tech Talk) could definitely use more active users, so my gripe with Mr. “T” is admittedly bitter-sweet.

Part of me thinks this place is undergoing a generational shift. Let’s face it: SFV was not as groundbreaking as its predecessors, and it is approaching the end of its cycle (hopefully, ugh).

Many are also just moving on to other interests (like Jasen going off to get his MBA). I refuse to accept Reddit as the natural progression for these kinds of discussions though. Sorry but I just won’t do it.

Part of me is really hoping for a SFVI soon to liven this place up more. That said though, I hope Sony doesn’t help foot the bill for the next installment. The more the merrier.

Tech Talk definitely saw a huge decline in users when the announcement of the SRK forums being shut down happened. Obviously that didn’t happen, but the damage had been done and a lot of users jumped ship.

I do agree with the whole “generational” shift, though. SF4 was big and got people back into fighting games with arcade sticks, followed closely by MvC3. SFV definitely didn’t have the same impact, and I see other popular fighting games nowadays being played with standard controller as much, if not more, than with sticks (DBFZ, BBTAG, etc).

Or maybe it’s just the bulk of us shifting our priorities/hobbies/interests due to life in general. I still love building and modding sticks whenever I can, but I clearly don’t play fighters like I used to.

2 Likes