Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition season VI, RIP MarkMan's #BeardStache

Totally not worth it, but still nice to have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-GDM-FW900-24-TRINITRON-WIDESCREEN-PRO-DISPLAY/274486528955

3 Likes

got my hex inverters in the mail (i ordered 3 because i have 3 sticks using hori mini pads) and wired them up like in this post:

ā€œ-connect the ADC point from the pcb to pin 14 on the chip
-connect R2 and L2 to pin 2 and 4 on the chip
-connect pin 1 and 3 to their respective buttons
-connect 7 to groundā€

one of my sticks is working fine, but for the other 2 the triggers go crazy for a bit after plugging in. did i just get some bad hex inverters? theyā€™re SN74HC14N.

I did try wiring pin 14 to usb vcc instead of the ADC point but that didnt help.

Today I finished Refurbishing my DMG Gameboy.

2 Likes

finally got around to paying shipping for the VLX I won. I made sure to do the protective packaging as well, since itā€™s coming via Seamail, and not DHL. DHL was $250 to get it here, good lord. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever noped out of something so quickly ever.

2 Likes

My VLX has spent a couple of years in a box wrapped in a plastic bag in the attic.

Please get more use out of yours than Iā€™ve got out of mine :pray:t3:

Yeah, VLX Kuro hasnā€™t gotten much use recently either.
When I got it, for a while I was using it pretty regularly on the PS4 mostly with SFV and DBFZ, with a bit of BBTAG and UNIEST. Then kind of stopped playing SFV, and moved onto playing DBFZ, BBTAG and UNICLR on the Switch instead, so Iā€™ve been using my super-modded Exar Exaprize there.
My VLX Kuro has just beenā€¦ sitting there on my TV stand since late 2018.

So I tested the 2 hex inverters that allegedly werent working by putting them in the stick that was working and it turns out thereā€™s nothing wrong with the inverters themselves. Instead the pad pcbs im using go haywire when i connect an inverter. Guess im just gonna leave the triggers on their own common line.

Thatā€™s very weird. These are Hori Minis? The DQ Slime themed ones?
I didnā€™t have any issues with the 2 that I did. Were there variants of the boards?..

No not the DQ ones, just regular black ones. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01A6MKVEG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qqPxFbYX56N5D I guess one thing I could try is adding resistors

EDIT: A 10k ohm resistor to the same IC pins connected to the signal lines fixed the issue, but its weird that I didnt need resistors in my other build using the same board.

Good to hear that you found a way to solve the issue.
I wasnā€™t even aware that there was non-DQ-Slime versions. And those are even cheaper than the ones I got last year during Black Friday (I think they were on sale at $40CAD at Best Buy)! Though the ones I got were for friends, so itā€™s not coming out of my pocket. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Covid update, work is gonna have us work from home for the rest of 2020 :man_facepalming:

Giving us $500 to get our ā€œhome officeā€ up to snuff.

Anyone know of a good standing desk ( preferably one with a SuperGun in/on/under it :wink: )

No but seriously if anyone knows of a good one, please recommend.

Lucky.
Weā€™re stuck working from home until at least Feb 2021, but our company isnā€™t giving us anything to help spruce up our home office, although we are allowed to ā€œborrowā€ as much as we need from the office as we want (I have enough gaming monitors around, but some colleagues have been bringing home their officeā€™s dual-monitor setups and stuff).

1 Like

Fightsticks subreddit is just chock-full of misinformation.

Dude on there stated that tactile switches like Cherry MX browns and clears do not work in Crown SDB-202 buttons.

I played SFA2 for two hours last night with sticks that had both. PSA: clears are too hard to press. Browns are dope (might need lubing though) though travel overall is less than PS-14-GNs. Feel is on point.

There are zero threads on here for those buttons. Might need to change that.

1 Like

Be the change you want to see.
Just do it!

Thatā€™s Reddit in general.

2 Likes

Dooooo it.
Iā€™ve never used ā€œstandardā€ mechanical switches like those in any application (although my wife has a mechanical keyboard).
Iā€™d be interested to know about them in an arcade-stick scenario, and how each type fares/compares against the standard Sanwa/Seimitus that we all use.

2 Likes

Done

3 Likes

I agree, but their discord is a lot better. Spend a lot of my downtime there, along with a couple of other tech discords. Of course, that doesnā€™t count the many mechanical keyboard discords Iā€™m in as well.

1 Like

To be believed?

2 Likes

Yep. Thatā€™s Reddit. Link literally made me LOL. Itā€™s been a tough day (despite being the first day in the Bay Area in a while not having soot for air)

Thanks for the laugh :laughing:

2 Likes

i like that current sticks will be supported next gen, not that im upgrading from my ps3, but still it is useful,

like this gen i can take my ps1 or ps3 sticks to friends house and use on his ps4 for some hyper fighting

thatā€™ll be crazy, using a 20+ year old hrap on a ps5

1 Like