Balrog (Boxer) Combos

Mostly preference, I believe, although lk does 10 more damage than lp, I think. I personally think it’s easier to connect a headbutt from a “kick” than a punch.

c.lp,c.lk is easier for me because I avoid accidentally canceling the last 2 jabs and the HB not canceling.

Was testing against practice Dan:
j.HK, s.HP, FA (lvl1)

Unfortunately this doesn’t crumple, and you have to be deep to land the FA, but the two H hits hard and the FA might lead to more options I am not thinking of?

Just stick to Boxer’s BnB:

2x c.lp > c.lk > headbutt

If you have ultra you can do that after the headbutt, if you have super you can do the EX loop. No need to get fancy with your combos when Boxer’s BnB is easy, safe, and does good damage.

Just wanted to pass my thanks around, thanks to this thread I won the 1st SF4 tournament in my country :D.

I did something weird today…i was in training and I did a cr. MP into the LP rush punch and I cancelled the rush punch into the punch super! how was that possible entering input-wise? I tried and couldn’t ever do it again…

also, is it true that you can’t cancel Balrog’s cr. MK into a special move? and how the heck do you guys build up enough charge to do the headbutt after the EX rush upper into cr. LP then cr. LK?

Haha thats not weird infact its probably the only combo involving super thats worth the meter. It goes like:

:db:+:mp: xx :r::lp: xx :l::r:+:p:

You can only cancel cr.mk into super. For ex rush upper loops you want to buffer the charge. Similar to buffered sonic booms or uriens tackle, tackle, headbutt combos.

good close range punish: st.mk -> hp headbutt | 250dmg in your face.

turnpunch cancel into super is awesome btw.

Typo?

cr.mp works.

i’m curious to know exactly when would be the last frame where you can start buffer charging this BnB. i have a really hard time getting headbutt to go, sometimes not even linking (cancelling :lk:).

I Think you misunderstood I meant that you can’t cancel c.mk into specials. C.mk is only canceable into supers

sorry, what does buffering mean? i’m having trouble connecting the headbutt after LP, LP, LK or LP, LP, LP…

I’m having issues with EX Rush Upper ~ C.LP ~ C.LK xx HP Headbutt into ultra.

I’m using the EX rush upper to get passed projectiles but then i’d like to chain into headbutt ultra. Even in training i find it really difficult to get c.lp and c.lk to land after the EX Rush uppercut.

Any tips on getting the timing down for this? If i can get this move to work it will increase my win ratio by a lot considering the damage it deals and all i have to do is land an EX rush upper on the 90% of people who play sagat/ryu/etc.

foxisquick, I believe someone tried to explain it by rhythm, which hopefully will now be forever coined as:

Rog Rhythm or Rog Riddim or possibly the RR

Anyway, it was something like on a 4 count - 1 (c.lp), 2 (c.lk), 3 (dash upper/headbutt), 4 (pause)

Now, you might be asking how that could help you if you aren’t able to get the c.lp in after the EX Rush Upper. If possible, look at the first Rush Upper as the 3rd count of that rhythm and then going back into the 4 count.

My explanation is garbage hahaha, but hopefully it somehow makes sense to you. It’s like doing a windmill in Breakdancing - Once you learn how to do it, you just never forget. Or… Like riding a bike hehe but I like Breakdancing more so yeah.

The person also said something about listening to the grunts that Balrog makes, such as:

HUH (Dash Upper), pause, huh (c.lp), huh (c.lk), HUH (Dash Upper/HB), pause, huh, huh, HUH, pause type of thing.

so basically what you’re saying is it will take me a ton of time to get. but once i get it, it will be far easier to replicate.

Thanks i’ll just have to put some extra time into training mode. I have to get this combo down i think it’s really sick.

Rog Riddim = BOOM BOOM CHICKA, BOOM BOOM CHIKA

then once you get good you can try : BOOTSICKA AWWWW

:wgrin: i had to do it, but all joking aside finding the ‘riddim’ will help with the ex upper combo.

Ahh, yes I did, apologies.

Timing: Another way for timing practice is the life bar method. I used it once I heard about it and basically that;s what got me in “the RR”.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=177151

The 4 count: That sounds really interesting. Never thought of SF that way but I guess you could use it in almost all of the SF’s…makes me want to try this method of counts on multiple games now :tup:

hm i just don’t know why i can’t do c. lp (*1-3) -> c. lk xx headbutt.
i can do the cancel like 1000 times in a row, and so the link c. lp -> c. lk.
but when i try to do them both it works like 20% of the time. really weird.
i can do c. mk -> c. lk xx headbutt and c.lp (x1-3) xx headbutt fine though.
veeery strange. i guess i’m the only one with such weird problems, huh?

Just do c.lp (x1-3) xx headbutt its better imo even tho I do c.lp,c.lk

I just started messing around with Balrog today, and am trying to work the timing on the following into my game, and believe that you should add it to your guide in some capacity:

cr. LP x3 ~ cr. MP…

If I’m reading the frame data correct this is a two frame link. The beauty of it however is that in the time it takes you to do all 4 hits you get a full charge. I left the end of the combo off because you’ve got a lot of options after the cr. MP link (i.e. HP headbut -> ultra).