Balrog Beginner Thread

https://youtu.be/LDrj_GJTVVM

https://youtu.be/NlhWZ-z5JEU

These are painful to watch lol

New to stick and SFV, I am finding using v-skill a little awkward i typically use my thumb and middle finger. Does anyone else use any other technique that i might try? i have thought maybe to macro L1 or L2 for v-skill so its just one button press. Does this work? And would anyone recommend it? I want to avoid it if it will hinder me in any way. Thanks.

You can absolutely map one of those to V skill and it would be fine.

I use my thumb and middle finger too, though if my hand is positioned differently on the stick for whatever reason I will just use any fingers available at the time. I prefer to use the 6 buttons because if I ever play street fighter in an arcade setting or even just on somebody else’s stick I don’t want to mess around setting up the controls. I prefer to just get used to whats already there.

I’m still pretty low rank myself (silver with balrog so far), but I can try to comment on your replay.

I only watched the first vid (vs ryu) since im at work. The obvious part is how you missed a lot of opportunities to kill him the 2nd round (I think 3 times in a row near the end). You also regularly choose to throw after a blocked shoryuken instead of crush counter punish which is a lot of damage you arent dishing out.

Also I notice you havent used vtrigger except in the final round in which you dropped the combo. His vtrigger is one of the best in the game so do practice that. You like using ex dash low to get in (which isnt always wrong btw). Ex dash low in vtrigger combos into 450+ damage easy with 2 bars or goes into a setup on block.

You also werent using vskill punch in the neutral which I feel is a very powerful long range poke through fireballs. Its -4 on block which is the same as lp dash punch.

I’ll comment more later and try to watch the 2nd replay when I get home.

I think you are playing just fine except once you get VTrigger you need to be looking to pop it off one of your normals to finish him off. You can get like 50% damage combos off of any of his target combos. If you can just stay about even with them health wise until you get Vtrigger you should win most of your matches.

In the 2nd video (vs ken) you allowed him to jump in way too often. It’s something I need to work on as well myself, but your anti airs could use some work.

Also if you go to 2:00, you put yourself in the corner with a walk back and jump back while ken was just using fireballs. Had he not tried to crossup, a good opponent would try to keep you there.

As said above, you need to be using the vtrigger. Best way is to confirm off a normal such as stomp TC or lk mk TC (you have more vtrigger damage potential if you don’t do the 3rd hit of the lk TC so adjust your confirm accordingly). I would also extend that comment to say you need to optimize your damage even without vtrigger. As I said before you have to use better punishes. Teach enemies to respect Balrogs damage potential.

I’m trying to break the habit of only setting it off after cr.mp, cr.mp. I try to not go in super aggresive against shotos, but bait them to try and jump in. May have to rethink my plans though.

I noticed that you never used EX Screw or V-reversal, which are both strong options that your opponent should have to respect. You don’t want to overuse either of those, but there were definitely moments in those sets where you could’ve popped one out and it looked like you just forgot they exist.

Also you just blocked a few fireballs that you could’ve tagged with V-skill P on reaction. Shotos should really be afraid to throw fireballs at Rog.

Took everyones advice, put it into practice, and finally silver rank today! Thanks for the help.

Good stuff man! That’s what this thread is for, now, try for gold and ask more questions haha.

Don’t forget to punish dp’s hard with either st round house or crouching fierce. I like crouching fierce punish at mid screen because after hk screw smash into mp dash push their automatically in the corner which is what balrog wants

I seem to have a hard time against characters with really good pokes. Bison, chun-li etc. Is the best strategy just to block until there is an opening?

That’s what lp.dash straight is for. With 10 frames of start up and a very good range you will either counterhit them during startup or whiff punish their moves in recovery. That is if you use it with the correct spacing.

Just two quick questions… what are setups to do after:

1. c. MK xx c. MK -> V-Trigger activation on block? My first guess was c. MP into dash xx v-skill then follow-up, but I can’t seem to get the v-skill off. Maybe I’m not doing it fast enough?

2. Off a forward throw, I feel like Balrog is a little far especially when they quick rise. Do I have time to dash and still do say, a meaty s. HK or do I have to do something faster like a s. MK?

Thanks in advance guys.

I usually go st.hk for the CC or st.mk to keep frame adv after TC > V-trigger on block, or cr.mp > dash straight x2 so it becomes -2 on block and I’m safe.

St.hk after forward throw is also character specific so know which chars it’s out of range on and do something else. But yes, that is a real setup, forward throw > dash > st.hk on quick rise.

After forward Throw on normal recovery I usually go for these meaties:

o Forward Dash --> Cr. MK x2 Target Combo into V-Trigger
o Forward Dash --> St. MK
o Forward Dash --> St. HK (CC)
o Forward Dash --> Cr. HK (CC)
o V-Skill P
o TAP 1
o St. LP --> MP Dash Straight
o Cr. LP --> MP Dash Straight
o HK Dash Straight (Unsafe) could be safe with V-trigger activation

Hope it Helps

Hey guys,

Bronze league player struggling to find his footing. My execution isn’t great, I own a pad and arcade stick but am better with pad. I know for instance I could add damage to certain pokes etc. but lack the ability to do so. Sometimes I can tell what I should be doing but get flustered or fail to execute. How can I fix this? Urgh it’s so cringey to watch the replays!

Juri is getting annoying for me to play against, but Im pretty sure it’s me, not the characters. Maybe you guys could give me some pointers?

Here are some replay IDs (can’t upload):
4AAD3115B - Juri
4AAD30B9C - Juri
4AAD0ED47 - Nash
4AAB5CD81 - Chun Li

Thanks guys,

Kromes

You fix it by playing more. It’s good that you already know what to do at times. Game sense is something you develop, you don’t just know it all right off the bat. I’ll take a look at these replays in a bit.

But more importantly, practice those conversions you say you know you can get more damage on. It’ll ease you up and build your confidence to execute when the opportunity arises in an actual match.

I landed a conversion earlier, you can tell I’m crappy because it was the crowning achievement of the night!
c.mk xx c.mk, v trigger, c.hp, HK Screw
But I missed the rush punch ending! I suppose I need to head into training mode more often, I figured playing real opponents might be the best place to learn but it doesn’t teach combos!

Thanks for the tips, you’ve instilled some confidence back into me. I’ve been playing SF for a couple years now, but with many long gaps between actually trying to improve. I played a lot of older games with my friends so I get the fundamentals but can’t control my character and panic :frowning:

Lol man you and I are in the same boat. I’ve been playing SF an embarrassingly long time so I know the fundamental mechanics but I took huge breaks and I never took it seriously until umvc3. Basically I panic and drop stuff constantly.