Balrog Beginner Thread

I know that. It’s still removed as an actual reversal…

They took it cuz he’d be top 5 if he had it. Cap on prefers to preserve that kinda status for shotos and female characters.

nerf laura

^ Misunderstands the concept of necessary and sufficient.

Thanks

Yes, he is a charge character.

I keep having trouble using the vskill P to juggle/cancel during vtrigger combos. Any tips?

You might be cancelling it too fast. I had to learn to slow down my cancels when KKB’ing

Try to learn to press each button once when doing the rush punch followups. Do not hold forward when you vskill and you won’t get an extra rush punch by mistake.

For example, I find this to be the most consistent combo (for me) into vskill in vtrigger:
Combo starter xx LK/EX Dash Low xx f+K (one time only) xx b+MP+MK xx P, EX Dash Straight xx whatever followup.

You don’t have to hold back when doing the vskill, but it definitely helps me know that I am not accidentally tapping forward and getting another rush punch.

My friend has been struggling dealing with crossups as Balrog after having played Ryu and Rashid. He feels like jump-ins that look like crossups will hit in front and vice-versa a lot more often on Balrog than against the other characters he’s used. Is this something other Balrog players have experienced? I thought it might be due to his taller hurtbox, but I’m not sure if that’s actually the cause.

This is true for all characters without a good invincible reversals. With these kind of characters you just have to guess and eat it if your wrong. If they are doing meaty crossups you really have no choice. He can use st. MP if he can see it coming but the best things is to avoid them as best as possible by dashing under or using his Dash Punches/TAP to get out before it hits. Playing characters with DPs kind of breeds lazy defense this way. They don’t really have to worry about this because they just DP through everything. With other characters you just need to develop more solid defensive and avoidance skills. These characters require an entirely different mindset on defense. You really need to be careful not to overextend yourself on offense so you have access to you anti-air buttons when you need them.

Hey guys, i hope you can help me out a bit :slight_smile:

I have never played charge characters and I am having a bit of trouble w/ boxer now. I love the character, did all the challenges excluding the last one (can’t get the timing but I will grind it out) still I have a bunch of problems when playing with him.

First thing is, there is a simple combo like cr.lk > cr.lp xx l.dash straight - does this mean that I need to start charging when pushing the first button (cr.lk) or I have to be charged before (thats my impression).

Also, in a real match I struggle like never before, lol. I lose in the poking game and when I can get in I rarely have a good followup. I seem to miss the charge aswell, because specials don’t come out :frowning: Does this mean I need to hold downback whole match?

You should be able to start charging as soon as you press cr.lk and if timed right the dash straight will come out. Make sure you’re linking the cr.lk to cr.lp, then maybe cancel the dash sooner. Best thing to do is get in the training room and do that combo (and every combo you want to use) over and over again until you can do it 10 times from both sides without missing it. Get that muscle memory formed and you’ll be able to execute it in battle much more consistently.

When I played SFIV Rog I pretty much had a charge the entire time. In V it’s not as important it seems because of his target combo pressure. But once you get the feel of his combos down better it’ll start making more sense in live battle.

nvm

As a general charge character rule, you want to become intimately familiar with your charge times. Apart from just combos and making sure the move actually comes out, you want to get a feel for how much charge all your moves give you (or your opponent’s moves, while you’re in block/hit stun), so that you can freely move around and play without worrying about charge while stilling being able to charge the times when you need it. Also, this is more advanced, but standing or crouching or walking gives the other player information about which specials you have access to. Being able to hide your charges during attack animations or execute the move at the minimum charge time forces people to respect your specials more.

SFV Rog in particular operates extremely well without charge, because V-skill P is incredible and target combos enable respectable damage output. I walk forward a LOT with Rog, more than probably any other charge character I’ve played. I still charge a lot, but it’s mostly so that I can pull out half-screen sweep or Armor at the drop of a hat.

Slowed down my inputs and BAM. It worked like a charm. Thanks for the help. Now if I could only get out of ultra bronze…

just shimmy your way up to plat.

Thanks guys, great help :slight_smile: I am getting more consistent but I feel I have to practice a lot as I only played motion characters yet.

Would anyone mind watching a replay or two of mine? Still trying to break ultra bronze. I usually go back watch my own replays and try to figure things out, but it’s always better to have another set of eyes. My fighter ID is the same as my name or I could post them here.

Post a couple for mee lol cause I’m out of town and can’t watch them from my ps. Lol. Id like to see