Alex Combo Thread: THE HYPE(R) BOMB HAS LANDED

Powerbomb/regular throw oki stuff -

From any of the Powerbomb’s sadly your advantage and positioning suck, you can dash in but you’re on negative frames. You can press st.hk immediately and you’ll meaty them on quickrise which is pretty good, apart from that Powerbomb resets into neutral. So that’s Powerbomb covered.

Forward throw and back throw on quickrise you’re also negative if you decide to dash, so don’t. Forward throw is the same as Powerbomb, you get a meaty st.hk on quickrise beating 3f normals.

Flash Chop oki stuff -

Flash Chop on the other hand is different, L.Chop and H.Chop are +2 on block whilst M.Chop is +3 meaning you get your best mix-up from hitting M.Chop. To land M.Chop you can do a couple of things, it’s a link from st.hp for starters (St.hp xx m.chop does 162 damage and 285 stun) and can also be used as a 5f frame trap from st.mp, and trades with 4f normals in your favour. First I’ll go over what you get from st.hp xx m.chop.

St.hp xx m.chop follow ups -

Immediate Powerbomb beats ANYTHING that isn’t a true reversal, throw invincible or a jump.

St.mp xx l.chop beats everything that isn’t strike invincible.

If you suspect a jump and want a hard read, you can cr.hp/EX Knee to catch them in the air.

Those are really your general options after m.chop on hit, it’s REALLY strong and one of Alex’s best mix-up scenarios if not the flatout best he has.

St.mp xx m.chop traps/trades -

To keep this simple and explain what needs to be explained, we’ll discuss specific scenarios with a general rule.

St.mp xx m.chop beats all 5f normals clean. It’s a 5f trap.

St.mp xx m.chop trades with all 4f normals.

St.mp xx m.chop is beaten by 3f normals cleanly.

Let’s go over your options after a successful frame trap first -

M.chop(counter-hit) > st.lp xx l.chop 179damage/363stun

M.chop(counter-hit) > st.lk xx EX chop 252damage/403stun

M.chop(counter-hit) > st.lp xx l.chop xx CA 424damage/363stun

Now we’ll discuss what Alex can do after he trades with a 4f normal -

M.chop(trade) > st.hk xx VTC > st.hp xx clothesline > m.chop 312damage/555stun

M.chop(trade) > st.hk xx VTC > st.hp xx clothesline > m.chop xx CA 487damage/555stun

M.chop(trade) > st.hp(slight walk forward) xx m.chop 225damage/405stun

M.chop(trade) > st.hk xx VTC > cr.hp > EX knee 320damage/511stun

M.chop(trade) > st.hk xx VTC st.hp xx clothesline > EX reverse powerbomb 362damage/630stun(JESUS FOR ONE BAR!!!)

EX Chop oki

If you land an EX chop ender you can comfortably dash forward, see if they backrise and time a meaty f.hp. Simple as that, honestly. :bee:

If they’re backrising a lot, just dash forward st.hk for an automatic crush counter, I can’t find an option that covers both.

Knee Smash oki stuff

So the knee is pretty straight forward, you’re in + frames(It’s between +3 and +5, but I’m unsure…assume it’s +3 until proven otherwise) if you dash forward on their quickrise and can cleanly beat all 3f normals with a dash forward > st.mp, on top of this you can also do dash forward > powerbomb against all 3f normals and beat them clean as well!

If they don’t quickrise just time your meaty accordingly, and if you’re wondering why I’m not mentioning back recovery it’s because knee smash counts as a throw knockdown and you just can’t backrise from attacks like that. If you hit them with powerbomb, reverse powerbomb or knee smash they can only quickrise.

Stomp oki stuff

Stomp gives a hard knockdown and they can’t backrise from it due to that…so uh, literally just time your f.hp meaty for +3 on block, after you f.hp if they block you can do powerbomb to beat all 3f normals, or frame trap with st.mp for a 3f frame trap. Mix up between meaty powerbomb and powerbomb ticks accordingly. Here are some f.hp combos.

F.hp > st.lp xx l.chop 163damage/333stun

F.hp > st.lk xx EX chop 236damage/373stun

F.hp(meaty) > st.mp xx l.chop 190damage/360stun

F.hp(meaty) > st.mp xx l.chop xx CA 435damage/360stun

EX Stomp oki stuff

This move rocks. It’s +2 on block and it’s fast as hell meaning if you go straight into st.mp you have a 4f frame trap, or if they have a 3f jab you can do st.lp > st.mp and it will link on counter hit anyway. If you do this move and it’s blocked just change which button you press depending on which character you’re playing(If they have a 3f jab basically), if they have no 3f normals you can mix in immediate Powerbomb to stuff anything 4f.

Headbutt oki stuff

…back to neutral you go! You get nothing due to distancing as far as I can tell, but you’re +3 so you can press a button.

Elbow Slash oki stuff

Important - depending on how far you are from the elbows max distance when you hit the opponent, your dash in might be too far away to actually hit them.

So the thing about the elbows is that only medium/heavy/EX knock down and these moves are actually backriseable so the thought process for these changes. If you’re wondering about light elbow slash on hit, it’s +3 and resets back to neutral. It’s JUST outside of light Powerbomb range if you hit it point blank, otherwise you’re going to be way too far away to do anything.

Medium elbow knocks down and is mad + if you dash in, if they decide to quickrise you can dash in and comfortably time your meaty f.hp/meaty Powerbomb. You can also dash in and get a meaty st.hk against 3f normals! That means you’re around +14/+17 if you dash in after a m.elbow. It’s around that area I believe. If you delay your st.hk by 1 or 2 frames you actually crush counter both quickrise AND backrise with st.hk against 3f normals.

Heavy elbow gives you an EX Chop follow up midscreen and a Knee Smash follow up in the corner, so always make sure to end your combo with that. If you DO follow up with an EX chop the frame advantage also changes due to the opponent being higher in the air, you get RIDICULOUS + frame on a dash in on their quickrisen and can yet again dash in and do an immediate st.hk for a meaty that beats 3f normals. Sadly you can’t do dash in f.hp because you’re slightly out of range of f.hp’s crouching hitbox. You also don’t get any meaty Powerbomb opportunities from this.

I think that covered all of his options, right?

Holy sh*t frozen. THANKS

I think that’s the fastest amount of lab work I’ve ever gotten done in Street Fighter. Quite proud of that.

EDIT**
Added more stuff to the list.

Godlike dude
might be worth mentioning that you can get a meaty lk elbow from forward throw that will combo into cr.mp xx vtc, sweep/ca
awesome write-up though

oh and some other stuff that might be useless and doesn’t really apply to your post

off of stomp you can whiff st.lk, st.lp and then follow up with cr.hp to hit meaty and juggle with normal knee midscreen
same deal with cc sweep, dash forward twice, whiff cr.lp, cr.hp

kinda risky though I guess, just thought I would mention it

Okay Seriously - SO MUCH INFORMATION
All credit goes to @DaFeetLee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLglB44tNMQ&feature=youtu.be

Documentation that went along side the video:

Explanation post to go along with my Alex Setplay video:
Note: I got all my Alex frame data from Gilley. You can find his frame data here.
Note: I do not account for back recovery and no recovery in my video. Way too lazy to record all the different knockdowns and I wanted to get something out fast. Maybe I’ll do another video in the future.

1. Power Bomb Setplay
    Alex is +15 after he lands any Power Bomb (LP/MP/HP/EX). Power Bomb is a grab so the opponent cannot back recover after getting hit by it.
    If Alex dashes forward after a Power Bomb lands, he is -4 (on quick rise) because he has a 19F forward dash.
    You want to train your opponent to not press buttons after waking up from a Power Bomb by using his s.HK and LK Slash Elbow as meaty attacks.
    After training your opponent to stay still after a Power Bomb lands, you can start either dashing forward into a throw/Power Bomb or start using EX Head Crush/EX Air Stampede.

2. F. Throw Setplay
    Alex is +17 after he lands a forward throw.
    If Alex dashes forward after a forward throw lands, he is -2 (on quick rise) because he has a 19F forward dash.
    You want to train your opponent to not press buttons after waking up from a forward throw by using his s.HK and LK Slash Elbow as meaty attacks.
    After training your opponent to stay still after a forward throw lands, you can start either dashing forward into a throw/Power Bomb or start using EX Head Crush/EX Air Stampede.
    If you land a forward throw in the corner, you are left closer to your opponent than if you landed a forward throw midscreen. You can walk forward a couple frames and go for meaty F+HP (CCs 3F+ normals and is at least +3 on block) or meaty Power Bomb (can beat 3F+ normals if timed correctly). Once you’ve trained your opponent to not press buttons after you land a forward throw in the corner, you can go for walk forward throw/Power Bomb.

3. EX Flash Chop Setplay
    Alex is +32 if he lands an EX Flash Chop.
    If Alex dashes forward after an EX Flash Chop lands, he is +13 (on quick rise) because he has a 19F forward dash.
    After dashing forward, Alex can go for a meaty F+HP (CCs 3F+ normals and is at least +3 on block). If your opponent blocks the F+HP, you are at least +3 and can go for a Power Bomb (beats 3F+ normals) or a s.MP (counterhits and beats 3F+ normals).

4. EX Knee Smash Setplay
    Alex is +23 after he lands any Knee Smash (LK/MK/HK/EX). Knee Smash is considered a grab so the opponent cannot back recover after getting hit by it.
    If Alex dashes forward after a Knee Smash lands, he is +4 (on quick rise) because he has a 19F forward dash.
    After dashing forward, Alex can go for a meaty throw/Power Bomb (beats 3F+ normals) or meaty s.MP (counterhits and beats 3F+ normals).

5. EX Air Stampede Setplay
    Alex is +43 after he lands an EX Air Stampede. Air Stampede is a hard knockdown move so the opponent cannot quick rise or back recover after getting hit by it.
    If Alex dashes 2x after an EX Air Stampede lands, he is +5 because he has a 19F forward dash (19×2 = 38).
    After dashing forward x2, Alex can go for a meaty throw/Power Bomb (beats 3F+ normals) or meaty s.MP (counterhits and beats 3F+ normals).

6. Cr.MP xx VTC Setplay
    Alex is +3 after a MP Flash Chop lands. Alex can go for a throw/Power Bomb (beats 3F+ normals). If you’re afraid of your opponent neutral jumping after MP Flash Chop lands, you should go for normal throw because you can react to your throw whiff and still use EX Knee Smash to antiair their neutral jump.
    If your opponent likes to jump in general after MP Flash Chop lands, you can go for s.MP xx Sledge Hammer (hits the opponent grounded if they’re trying to jump out). This option also counterhits and beats 3F+ normals.
    If your opponent likes to backdash after MP Flash Chop lands, the “safest” option would be to go for a s.HK. If you are SURE your opponent will backdash after MP Flash Chop lands, you can go for the more risky and damaging option which is a raw Sledge Hammer (can follow up if it hits the opponent’s backdash).

7. VReversal Setplay
    Alex is +27 after he lands a VReversal.
    If Alex dashes forward after a VReversal lands, he is +8 because he has a 19F forward dash.
    Because Alex is +8 after dashing forward, you want to slightly delay your throw/Power Bomb/s.MP so it will catch 3F+ normals on wakeup and beat them.
    You can also go for a meaty F+HP if you dash forward after a VReversal lands. This option will CC 3F+ normals and is at least +3 on block.

8. Bonus Stuff!
    Alex can VTC his cr.MK (an 8F low attack) and combo into s.MP xx Sledge Hammer. This can be used as an empty jump low surprise if you need to make a comeback with VTrigger stocked.
    The rest of the video is possible scenarios that can happen after you land an EX Flash Chop and manage to CC your opponent with F+HP after dashing forward.

Damn!!! Great info, to be honest using Alex has taught me to stop activating v trigger raw as well as making me a better player overall. I would have never thought he would have all this tech up here so early.

You can also walk forward f.hp after a Knee for a meaty

Ok, I just skimmed through and didn’t see this anywhere so I would assume it’s not here but I might be blind.

Was messing around trying to find a way for Alex to “Take his turn” and I found something interesting.

st.MP, st.LP xx LP-Flash, instant LP-Flash, st.MP (Buffered EX-Flash).

Setting Chun Li to Guard All, Guard Recovery st.LP/cr.LP -
If the st.MP is blocked but they press a button, st.LP xx LP-Flash connects.
Follow up LP-Flash is blocked but a large distance away.

If Chun-st.LP, Alex-st.MP hits and combos into EX-Flash.
If Chun-cr.LP, Alex-st.MP whiffs but doesn’t get hit.
If Ryu-st.LP, Alex-st.MP whiffs but cr.MP hits recovery.

I will go further into this later tonight when I get the chance to lab it up some more.

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere, but you can link:
St.MP into CA.
Seems to have a little less wiggle-room than when Ryu does it, but I think it is confirmable.

Huh, it’s only 5f? Need to check to see if it catches a Karin rekka command backdash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHSqNnpb04w

Alex is confirmed broken, needs nerfs

You can kill off of one knockdown with Alex… Damn! Read description for info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjgGS7FETI

[quote=“Linky97, post:72, topic:179085”]

You can kill off of one knockdown with Alex… Damn! Read description for info.

[/quote]

With 2 resets, other chars such as Bison or Nash could probably do comparable damage. The impressive thing with Alex is how he can potentially get stun off a crush counter into a single reset.

You guys are the best!

nerf resets imo. After someone gets hit lets put people on opposite sides of the screen and restart the round. It’ll make all the Ryu, Nash, Dhalsim and Chun players feel better so they don’t lose to any other characters.

Put Mika on the right corner. He throw range is actually bigger on that side for some reason. I saw it somewhere but I can’t remember were. I haven’t tested it myself yet.

Okay, there is a weird bug where you can’t combo command grab after his hammer. Really not sure how or why. If anyone has any info, please let me know. It happened vs f.a.n.g and bison.

You’re sure you’re cancelling into Backdrop and not just trying to do Power Bomb afterwards? Backdrop is a hitgrab, Hammer doesn’t put them in grabbable hitstun.

Thank you good sir.