Alex Combo Thread: THE HYPE(R) BOMB HAS LANDED

after ex stomp alex is +2 , so lp will counter hit 3f jabs (lp is 4f right?)

50 more damage is definteily GREAT but the meaty after it is definitely NOT, it puts you back in neutral which is ok
the switch sides is not a bonus but situational when you are in the corner, you’re not gonna use this combo when the opponent is already on the corner
Alex does have corner carry potential look it up not just here but in the Alex general thread too
that combo is great to use situation wise when you dont have the life lead or low in health, when the opponent has 3frame reversal special (Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Necalli), when guarantee its gonna KO the opponent

imo Alex is supposed to be played more offensive and pressure the opponent on close quarter combat
st.HK [CC], st.HP > mp.FlashChop = 253dmg/453stun
after that can easily be followed up by neither…
hp.PowerBomb = 180dmg/220stun
ex.PowerBomb = 220dmg/250stun

you do the math easily comparing from your guaranteed 50dmg, after PowerBomb puts you back in neutral and in a good position for oki possibility

if opponent is trying to jump, backdash, mash normals (yes even 3frame normals), Alex st.MP will hit meaty or better counter hit and nullify all of those, from st.MP you can link to…
st.MP, st.LP > lp.FlashCHop />/ Critical Art
st.MP, st.LP/LK > ex.FlashCHop
st.MP > lk.SlashElbow />/ Critical Art
st.MP > lk/ex.SlashElbow
st.MP (counter hits) > mp.FlashChop > reset mix-up situation
st.MP (counter hits) > lk/mk.SlashElbow />/ Critical Art
st.MP (counter hits) > ex.SlashElbow
st.MP (counter hits), st.MP > lp.FlashCHop />/ Critical Art
st.MP (counter hits), st.MP > ex.FlashCHop
st.MP (counter hits), st.MP > lk.SlashElbow />/ Critical Art
st.MP (counter hits), st.MP > ex.SlashElbow
or just use HP or EX Power Bomb after the st.MP

also from
Lariat f+HP [CC], st.HP > mp.FlashChop
st.HK [CC], st.HP > mp.FlashChop
after you can follow up with
(far) lp.HeadCrush = 16dmg/250st0un
(close) cr.lp > lp.HeadCrush

like what this guy said, post Power Drop positioning/setup/oki is really horrible

EX Power Drop carries a massive amount, basically cornering then from a bit under half screen. Otherwise I’m not a fan outside of hitting a raw HP Chop

meh waste of meter unless your guarantee for the KO
the carry from mid stage nearby center stage is not that great but its ok
the carry from mid stage nearby corner is useless might as well use the regular version

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but if you anti air with cr.hp (still don’t know how reliable it is as an aa), you can followup with air knee smash anywhere on the screen from what I’ve tested.

Normally you get 2 hits on cr.hp, in which case you can only followup with ex aks.

If you hit them high in the air and only get 1 hit of the cr.hp, you can followup with a normal aks (strength of the kick depends on distance but HK version works usually).

This is not considering vtrigger cancels though.

Edit: in the corner, normal aks always works after cr.hp

You have to consider the possibility of backroll tech after EX chop and elbow. There may be less oki options after a suplex but the opponent has only 1 quickrise option.

I’ve found that post forward throw, you can get a meaty st.HK on quickrise.

When I get home from class, I want to further test oki options from air knee smash. I’ve found that after AKS, you can frame kill with st.lp then meaty with f.HP. In the corner you can even mixup with command grab. Needs more testing.

In any case, you are at frame disadvantage if you dash in after any throw I believe.

If anyone can confirm this, unless it’s just a trial mode (as I discovered it there first.) or a training mode bug. Are you capable of kara-bombing with MK? Also I found doing LP or MP, not sure about HP you can do any punch HypBmb and hit the button twice and it will connect.

You can follow up a 2 hit cr.hp with an LK Knee if you got a Crush Counter to start the combo (such as a st.hk or f.hp), as that adds a juggle point

There is 0 oki option after suplex, not “less” options, 0. Honestly if you don’t understand why putting someone OUT of the corner and having them quick rise at the same time as you’re recovering from the suplex animation and having no oki, then you don’t understand a fundamental part of Alex and SF5 gameplay general.

It’s like R Mika beta scrubs who were arguing that her K command grab was useless and you should always do her P-command grab because it did a little more damage. Now that the game has come out it’s become obvious why you don’t sacrifice Oki and corner carry for a bit more damage.

So from what Im getting at when to use which CC combo:

Mid Stage:
st.hk [CC], st.hp, mk slash (261 dmg/475 stun, corner carry from mid, aka round start position, to corner)
st.hk [CC], st.hp, EX slash (309 dmg/475 stun, 50 more dmg, same carry, not sure if worth it, prob. not)

Alex in corner:
st.hp [ch], hp chop, powerbomb (301 dmg/ 515 stun, puts opponent in corner)
st.hp [ch], hp chop, ex powerbomb (333 dmg/555 stun, no good oki off of it, not worth it probably)

Opponent in corner:
st.hk [CC], hk slash, cr. hp, mk knee (321 dmg, 515 stun, good damage, you stay close, leave opponent in corner)
st.hk [CC], hk slash, cr.hp, ex knee (342 dmg/ 515 stun, 21 damage, no more stun, not worth it except Im missing some oki info on that one)

Im leaving out VT-Combos (not much exp, maybe later) and try to not spend much meter because I dont think spending meter is really viable in BnB combos and in those punish combos it’s obviously not worth it most of the time)

I guess the point of Backdrop is for the heavy stun right? Or can he get better stun off of something else in those clothesline situations?

Yeah thats true, but I was only considering the cr.HP as an anti air with my post :stuck_out_tongue:

Use st.hk (CC) -> cr.hp -> EX Knee if you’re going to blow meter midscreen. You can also do st.hk (CC) -> st.hp xx LK Slash or MP Chop for a 3f trap.

As a rule of thumb I blow meter if I’m not getting an MP Chop or LK Slash, because you add a stupid amount of damage per bar, ~50. If they don’t have a 3f jab it can be fine to end up an LP Chop though. I only don’t spend meter on EX Knee if LK Knee is an option.

Amazing how much info has been put up in one day, it’s feeling muddled up abit.
Can someone explain all ok options found at the moment from everything?

Anybody know if st.HK CC > st.HK (combo ends) > Powerbomb is a real setup? I was testing it with Ryu mashing dp and it seemed to work. I assume they can backdash or jump out of it. Is that the same for other command throw setups?

I understand there’s a higher damage and stun setup off of a st.HK CC, but sometimes I just like to keep it stupidly simple.

Ok as in viable or oki?

Midscreen unless corner push you should just do the st.hp xx HP chop, power bomb, though corner push is def worth it.
If you want to spend meter I think you should do st.hk[cc] cr.hp, ex Knee. Good damage and great Oki.

And yeah you aren’t missing anything all Knees leave you at same frame advantage from what I can tell +4 on dash in.

Oki apologies

Nice thing I found

After a Power Drop you have an option for oki! Unless you dropped them in the corner you’re not in range for most normals… but Alex has a trick. The first is a cr.mp which will counterhit any limb they stick out. If you’re in VT I’d just buffer in a Clothesline, as cr.mp will whiff if they don’t press anything but counterhit if they put anything out (as I believe Power Drop is +6). This doesn’t work without a bit of timing after an EX Power Drop which seems to be ~+7 so you need to delay by a frame or two. If you think they’re going to mash a button you can also press st.hp to tap their extended hurtbox (works on Chun’s cr.lp!) and cancel that into MK/EX Slash!

If they only have 4f normals this will counterhit. If their wakeup button is a standing button you can also use f.hp. If this is the case you get a free HK Slash cancel on st.hp into EX Chop or a Crush Counter on f.hp. Not that the only things you can follow this Crush Counter up with is a V Trigger cancel -> walk forward slightly sweep or an EX Chop.

Also note that the cr.mp only works on moves that extend their hurtbox early. St.hp will catch all sorts of stuff due to its later active frames hitting nice and deep.

Really, just don’t use EX Power Drop unless it’ll corner, stun, or kill them. 36 extra damage tops is just not that worthwhile.