AE Matchup Discussion: Ryu, Sagat, Sakura, Seth, T.Hawk

Nj.HP is pretty good, but you have to be quick with the jump in order to be in the right spot to slap him out the air. I wonder if st.rh is any good for later AA.

I like jumping forward vs. Seth if he jumps because he can change his angles. jumping hp/hk seem to do okay, and then you get a reset opportunity.

seth players like to throw sonic booms full screen and follow up with that wall jump!
coward crouch xx ex upball that nonsense and start your offense!

if seth booms and backs it up with a quick st.fierce that can be pretty risky to crouch, especially early in the match.

I hate seth :<

[media=youtube]AdfZvhbUGpg[/media]

Upball Ex on hit is safe on Ryu and Sagat ? I was thinking Ryu can punish that with his sweep, but i can’t do that in training mode…

So far I haven’t been punished midscreen for any ex-upballs on hit from Sagat or Ryu.

Ryu can walk, sweep at weird times. It’s usually only punishable on hit with super.

Sagat can u2 pretty much every ex upball.

Forward Short Kara TU don’t hit punish on hit ? Or maybe Kara TK EX ?

there is probably some crazy weird situation where it does, but normally that stuff only works on block.

Forward Short works, but the timing is very weird.

I used to play sakura when AE first came out, a really good trick is to figure out some timing where after you knock her down you jump in with a move that looks like her c.HP will beat it but you get a Counter-hit, since c.hp is so good/safe it’s been my experience that sakura players will throw that out at every opportunity without even thinking. I bet Blanka’s j.hk is good for this because of its weird downward hitbox. I’ll check it out later or something.

I think I finally feel comfortable enough to give my two cents against Ryu match up, after finally managing to beat the last Ryu player in HK that was giving me a hell of a time… personally i think this match up is now 5/5 in AE… nerfed ball really makes this match up much harder since both LP/MP ball is super slow it’s easy to get interrupted and HP ball is just asking for an easy or big punish. However… nerf on air tatsu = Ryu can’t run away and pretty much one less option to get out of U2… which pretty much makes U2 free block chip kill… if you got a ex bar and ultra and he’s only got a centimeter or life left… you just basically won the round…

I know different players go against Ryu differently… but for me… i think it’s ideal that you go around LP whiff ball range or closer and try not to get out of slide range… You want to maintain this range simply because you don’t want to be pushed back to the corner and in general your footsie game should be better than Ryu’s. You can play a little further out if you are on a life lead especially if you have an ex bar available… but if you’re on neutral or start the round with less health i recommend you to stay closer.

You do not want Ryu to build meter to super… but if you maintain close to him it’s not easy… If the Ryu player knows what he’s doing… he should be throwing HP fireball when you’re this close to him because it makes it extremely hard to slide under with just reaction alone… if he’s doing any other types of fireball when you’re at this range he really doesn’t know what he’s doing and you should be able to slide under it without too much problem.

Assuming if he does know this… your objective is NOT to try to slide or avoid every fireball he throws at you… In fact you should be blocking some Coward crouch some, neutral jump some… but don’t be afraid to let him chip you a bit… you can block all day long… if you make ONE good read… it completely balances out the chip damage he’s doing… Although you will be tempted to move a bit further out so it’s easier to react to fireballs, being close makes definitely puts him at greater threat incase you land a full combo or you’ll always be within slide range for a non-tech knockdown… at this range Ryu will also be tempted to throw out ex fireball… which you will want Ryu to throw out because him with Super will generally make things even harder for you.

If you are within this range… Ryu will feel very pressured… if you see him trying to back up… just step forward… it’s worth losing the charge…

if you see him jump… c.MP, s.HK, slide should beat out pretty much all jump in options… and if you notice your opponent likes to empty jump c.HP will be the answer why he shouldn’t.

You should try to chip him with LP/MP ball if possible… to give him some pressure… and if you have an ex bar… it’s quite easy to react to fireballs and retaliate with ex ball… i would even throw out some jabs to bait him into throwing fireballs…

if you’re playing close and he’s throwing hp fireball at fairly close range using it as a ‘poke’ it’s not a bad idea to pre-focus it so you can land a lvl 2 FA if you guess right… if you don’t guess right… it doesn’t hurt to jump back to see how he react… .sometimes it’s easy to bait a jump in by focus baiting… try to react to what they do and ‘recover’ back to the range…

If you can read when they want to FA… hop forward and throw is generally what i recommend.

The above strategy is really to beat Fireball/FA happy Ryu’s which i find the most annoying imo…

If they try to play footsie against your strategy… imo… you shouldn’t be losing in footsie war… especially with s.HP, c.HK and c.HP as your main tool to go against really just his c.MK he might use other moves for footsie… but it’s really c.MK that’s the one to look out for.

Patience is the key… don’t be afraid to block and get chipped… even if you block 5 fireballs in a row it’s fine… it’s not gonna add up to that one combo or one knockdown you make later… and you want to get him impatient because that’s really the only way you can beat him…

-LAU

Don’t forget jump back hp for Ryu’s that sneak in and jump deep, that’s my biggest problem in the matchup I fixed. Ryu should never be able to get in on Blanka.

I agree that the matches where hp roll was abused got harder in AE, but some of those characters got buffs as well like Ken and Zangief to help them out.

I use a lot the stand HP vs Ryu, in the ideal range, this poke beat all Ryu’s normals, even his awesome crouch MP, i think this match up is more easy because of the big nerf of his crouch MK (less active frames & worse hitbox), so i feel like i can beat easily his crouch MK with pokes like crouch MP, stand MP, crouch HP.

And like you said, the tatsu escape nerf is very good for Blanka, so i recommend U2 for this match up.

It’s all about patience, footsies, reactions and good choices, just don’t get cornered and don’t fall in the floor, sometimes you can makes an offense if you have a knockdown, think about the setup wich beat his dp after a forward throw, so don’t be afraid about the dp.

The real issue in this match up is Ryu’s Super, when Ryu has it, the match up blows in Ryu’s favor i think, you can’t use your stand HP and a lot of pokes, and just wait for a fireball to slide.

I laughed when i read the T Hawk match up description :

ah ah ah

Viscant had a very good idea about how to deal with Ryu’s super.

If he has it at the start of a round, or if you have a very large lifelead, dare him to use it. Ball him. If he blows the super for 300 damage it is only 27% of your health or something when you factor in guts. This takes away his ability to uppercut FADC and if he’s punishing a ball he can’t get good oki after the super knockdown.

Super is a nightmare when you are low on health and trying to fight a half health opponent, so just don’t let it get to that situation.

Another idea is to try to bait as many uppercut FADCs as possible.

can somebody please explain seth’s “suck in” move to me???
can you do anything after being caught? how much frames am i negative???
this char is just retarded!

does seth even have to know ANY matchups??
I think he’s like: “Meh, I dont wanna play footsies, I just suck you in and start my mixup program…or I do my half-screen FA, or I throw a random sonic and do a wall jump…either way, you cant do shit!”

“Oh, you are blanka!? I like ur revearsel, cuz no matter what, I have 99 flashy combos that are just waiting for it! or I just do an EX SRK cuz it just beats it”

I’m frustrated…

Yeah… sometimes i ball him at the beginning of the round so i don’t have to deal with the fear of super later.

-LAU

You can do it at the start of the round or near the end if you feel you’re going to lose anyway. If he punishes, he doesn’t have meter for the next round. If he doesn’t you build meter + gain chip damage. If he tries to stuff it and fails, you gain meter and he loses more life. That was a good tactic in Super but it’s not so good in AE since you’re restricted to LP and maybe MP hori ball, and v.ball depending on the circumstances. It’s was also good vs Akuma when you were about to lose because if you could get him to reversal raging demon he basically builds your EX bar for free.

what do you guys do if you score a knockdown against sagat?
yesterday i played against a sagat and when i got backthrow i did dash->jHP and it seamed to hit him everytime. i don’t know if he was pressing buttons or it was some sort of unblockable… but it worked. usually if i try to do a crossup against this player he got me with an uppercut.