AE Matchup Discussion: Ryu, Sagat, Sakura, Seth, T.Hawk

I just noticed Sakura’s EX hurricane kick is +4 on block. Is this a typo in the frame data?

How do you guys punish this move on block?

It is +4, but she’s generally out of range to follow up. You don’t punish, her lk tatsu is even on block too, which is frame trap city. Just block.

You shouldn’t be blocking too many of those in general. Sak isn’t going to throw too many random ones out because you shouldn’t be in the range for that anyways. I like to hang out outside of her cr.mk range, or be in her face, which are both bad ranges for that.

I need some Seth stuff. Played two at a tournament on Saturday including Online Tony in top 4. I choked away game 1, then got destroyed game 2

Yeah not often but every once in a while if they drop cr.hp, lk tatsu, lk, ex tatsu combo at the end. I never would’ve thought it was +4 on block though.

Seth is a nightmare. Put any pressure on and get the spd/dp mash. Bait and you can only punish for crap damage. Tanden is a bs move.

you can f.hop through tanden on reaction and punish.

Nj out sometimes works, but relinquishing control/block when that close is not a nice feeling. Plus it leaves you open to all manner of dp fadc stomping again.

I’m having issues going up against Sagat myself. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t know how to go up against that…offensive, defensive, reaction, etc. I’m thinking U2 would be good against the more projectile-heavy Sagats, but that’s all I got right now, lol. It’s not all Sagats, mind you, but the ones that actually work on improving their gameplay and not just relying on high-tier. It feels like going up against a tank sometimes, lol.

vs Sagat:
some tips about Sagat in general that’s important imo.
because his walk speed sucks ass… the chance of you get thrown should be fairly small… he’s got his standard, tick throw, FADC into throw, ex tiger knee in throw, that’s about it… if you’re good with the throw break OS you will most likely not get thrown by Sagat much…

Sagat’s tiger uppercut is slower than shoto’s DP… it’s possible to safe jump him… you can find some examples of safe jumps throughout this forum…

Sagat is a zoning character… and in general… you do NOT want to jump in on him… unless your Sagat player sucks or you manage to be 100% sure to predict a fireball coming otherwise… jumping in on him when he’s not knocked down is NOT an option… at least against an offline good Sagat.

imo i like to stay around the range of where i start off the round or a little closer… it’s pretty much the range where the only move Sagat can land on you are either tiger shots or tiger knee or if he’s crazy enough kara tiger uppercut but generally Sagat won’t exactly pull that off out of the blue. You should be able to beat him in footsie thanks to Blanka’s excellent choices of normals… but at this range you’ll make him feel uncomfortable.

while at this range… if he does tiger shot… it’s not that hard to react… either jump straight up, coward crouch or if you can slide under it do that because it’ll hit him (if you’re playing the right range)… last but not least there’s blocking… IMO i wouldn’t suggest too much FA simply because it’ll end you up in corners… and i don’t think it’s worth being in corner just for U2 (your choice for ultra)… there’s also obviously ex ball if you have meter to splurge but i’ll rather save it unless i have a few lying around

you want to slowly push sagat in the corner…

If you’re at the right range… sagat might be a bit worried about throwing tiger shot because you can slide under or jump over and hit him… so they might consider tiger knee… however… if they aren’t doing much and you’re neutral jumping every so often… if they fall of it… and try to tiger knee you while you’re neutral jumping… you just landed yourself a free combo… imo you will want to end the combo in electricity unless you have super…

while you’re slowly pushing him in the corner… Sagat might try to FA you… if you see him FA simply hop towards him and throw

against jump ins… c. mp generally do the job pretty well and if you got upball charged there’s no reason why not to use it.

i hope this will help you against Sagat… i used to have some problems with him too… until i stop balling as much and start moving in slowly and neutral jumping more. and keeping my distance…

if you’re playing footsie s.HP, c.HP, c.HK, s.MP, c.MP are all pretty good choices… if Sagat reacts slow or is just waiting don’t forget to fake LP ball him… you might also wanna test out how good his punishing is by throwing out LP/EX ball on block and MP ball… but once again… i don’t think balling is necessary but i think it is a good idea to test out your opponent’s ‘level’ so you know what you can possibly do

-LAU

The problem with this is that good Sagat players know this, so they create a fake delay in their strings/jump ins with kara tiger-uppercut FADC to catch your crouch tech or counter-throw.

Sure good Sagats will do that and psychic sagat will dp you everytime you are not blocking… And psychic blanka can U1 all the delayed string attempts you listed before

if you read the rest of my ‘suggestive’ strat sagat should rarely be in your face in the first place… Like with any fighting game there’s always a counter strategy even with the one I’m mentioning above… I think more important than anything is to recognize
how you’re getting beat and adapt… I was merely suggesting to the other players who is having trouble with sagat I remember the time especially in vanilla where the match seems impossible. However now after losing so much and trial and error I was hoping the strat I provided can serve as a shortcut to how I feel against sagat now… Which is I feel much more comfortable with the match but doesn’t mean I never lose.

with any fighting game one key element is to limit your opponents option while not limiting your own options as much… So that it makes your opponent more predictable and make you a bit less in comparison…

-LAU

Punishing crouch tech with kara DP is not the same as random U1. A good Sagat player won’t do that if they don’t have meter to FADC.

as i said before… adapt… people will get caught trying to break throws… and get heavily punished… if the guy consistently lose to ‘throw tech counters’ and not adapting to it… he’s probably gonna lose not because of trying to throw break but lose because his basics and mind game isn’t that good to begin with.

i mean… there’s many ways to beat out that out if sagat is really trying to bait you to throw break… best way people tend to forget is block .

You adapt to your opponent… if you can’t adapt you lose… yesterday i played against a rufus who would constantly do ex messiah whenever i was doing a frame trap… after getting hit by that crap twice… i just baited it out… and punished it afterwards…

as i said with the rest of my post… there’s a counter strategy to everything…

-LAU

I’m just saying that it’s something worth remembering about the Sagat matchup. If you get into a situation like that it’s better to eat the throw than DP FADC Ultra. Blocking isn’t really a counter-strategy because you’re not countering anything. He can just FADC backwards to reset the situation. Or he can use his overhead. Or he ticks you till you think you safe then he does a safe TK and you have to guess again between crouch tech or blocking a DP. Sagat pressure isn’t really that easy to escape. It was Blanka’s hardest matchup in Vanilla for that reason.

I’m not saying that your advice is bad, but delayed crouch tech vs Sagat isn’t really such a great idea when he has meter, especially if you block a jump in.

Thanks for the detailed advice there! Watching some of my replays against Sagat have shown me that I ball more than I probably should. I do need to improve my footsie game in general, but this match-up definitely needs it, lol.

Like anyone else could use Seth tips getting destroyed here

-LAU

hmm… just dont get knocked down!
once you lay on the ground it’s over, but I think you already know this!
okay you can still escape with EX rainbow on wakeup once or twice in the game, cuz it escapes throws and beats SRK!

yeah… i know that…

problem is… i feel like he’s worse than dhalsim in the way where he’s got a good reversal as well…so it’s hard not to get knocked down… and if i don’t go in… i still get zoned/mixed up to death.

like with dhalsim the idea is simple… find a way… to sneakily go past his defensive zone strategy… once you’re in… go apeshit.

with Seth… after i manage to get inside… there’s a higher chance i might get knocked down…i guess in general i don’t know what’s the ideal strategy against him.

-LAU

You need to get meter vs. Seth before you get knocked down.

Rushing Seth down is good. Ambiguous jumpins cause his dp to whiff, so if you can land a knockdown you can do some damage.

Turtling with 2-3 meters and u2 stocked is awesome.

Thanks for the tip Ves.

I’ll keep that in mind and see if that helps

-LAU

It’s very hard to get meter vs Seth, because his rushdown is very hard to manage, what is the best AA without Ex against his dive ? Neutral jump HP works ? With more knowledge in this match up, maybe it’s not so hard for Blanka.