AE Matchup Discussion: Cammy, Chun-Li, Cody, C. Viper, Dan

If I’m just going to do 2, I like cr.forward, cr.short, ultra. It actually works pretty well. If you do a hop/kara hop and immediately charge you have enough charge to ultra once you get the two hits in. 2 shorts is better off of a deep crossup though because of distancing.

It’s solid it goes back and forth.

It’s actually not hard to safeball. I don’t use safeball cancled from strings much, I do like strings of normals then lp safeball frame trap to hit delayed techs. I haven’t really talked about this yet, but if you watch me play I do a lot of low forward x2, see if one counterhits, if neither does then I do a safeball. I generally only safeball vs. Cody if I have a feeling the guy is going to attempt a punish. The mindgame is Cody “knows” he can punish, especially with U2, and you get to hit him back so hard. If the Cody is really twitchy and doing a lot of zonks, or doing ruffian kicks after connected balls I will generally safeball and see whats up. It’s good bait.

You suck lrn2safeball noob.

nah, you don’t just body Dagger G and get to say you aren’t good.

hmm. You were saying about using safeball to bait stuff. And I guess I see that. And its not too hard to walk bak into zoning distance after a safeball. I guess after all the ball nerfs I have just abandoned the move and focused on electricity setups. My loss. I do like the low mk spacing, but again I hate pushing myself away from the opponent.

Earlier I said j hk > u/b+mp > cr mk > lp ball was good. but replace the cr mk with cr lk > cr lp for more range so J hk > u/b+mp > cr lk > cr lp > lp roll
is good may beat the rockcrusher combo for pushback.

For best off the ground safe balls use max distance cr lp into lp ball, or cr lk > cr lp > lp roll if your close enough. On some characters you have to use mp roll because they can block the lp before it gets there :frowning:

Blanka’s combos are so freaking hit and miss on what character and if they are crouching or not. Ugh

I hate the Cody matchup. He’s just one of those characters that own you for free after a knockdown.

I hate too this match up, he can punish so much things on hit, and he has a fucking neutral jump HP, Cody’s scrubs love do that on your wake up you know…

Any advices vs Cammy and her Cannon Strike ? I try to beat it with the stand HK, i beat a lot the normal version but i have a lot of trade with the ex version… and about the match up, you know some stuff ? I loose a lot against her… =(

you have to AA the strike later than you think because it makes Cammy stutter in the air and it retracts her hurtbox.

Honestly if you are trading sometimes and winning sometimes thats absolutely what you are shooting for. You hit her out of the air, thats good. As long as she doesn’t get a combo on you, you got the damage advantage.

I mentioned this before in an older thread… but

Coward Crouch basically avoids pretty much all Cammy’s specials/super/Ultra except for the somersault thing that ends with a low kick… (I haven’t tried it against a super low EX cannon strike that might beat it as well… )…

So the only thing she can really hit you with is really if she walks up to you and low kick you…

I haven’t really figured out a solid plan to use this yet other than to bait her to come in and hop towards her to ‘surprise’ her…

-LAU

yeah the biggest problem with coward’s crouch is that it isn’t cancelable till frame 53 or something, so you are a sitting duck for a bit. It’s risky vs. her really.

I like crouch vs. fei/adon a lot though.

hm… but how are you using it differently for them two that it doesn’t really work on cammy as well? because the same ‘cancelable’ problem still exist.

-LAU

preemptively using it to get under jag kicks/tooth, rekkas/chicken wings. doing premptively vs. Cammy is bad because she has other options that hit low from far range. It’s hard to explain.

Basically it’s easy for her to hit you out of it.

anyways… was kinda trying it against fei just an hour ago (i play during my lunch break at a nearby arcade), was pretty hilarious how it kinda messes up his footsie game it’s like… c.MP missed… shit… c.HP… it misses too! hop, throw lol

-LAU

Yeah it makes the footsie game vs. fei less one dimensional and makes him think more which gives him more chances to make mistakes.

you know now i think about it… it’s a viable strat against fei…

getting hit by c.MK from fei doesn’t result in anything unless he’s got super… but he shouldn’t really be able to build super that fast… besides from that the only thing he can really do is either c.LK which is kinda short range for fei long who’s really spoiled by all these retardedly long range normals… and c.HK which is a risk to fei if i hop while he’s doing it and making him wide open…

not to mention he can’t exactly abuse his focus because it doesn’t work… his only option is really to walk forward and hit me out at the right time… which is really just a pure guessing game.

good stuff

-LAU

how do you guys bait out chun-li’s ex birdkick? startup is 6 frames but invinceable till 7th frame. but this shouldn’t matter to bait it and then punish it bigtime. i see a lot of chuns who do this move when i try to cross them up on wakeup. but my timing is sloopy so i get hit. i bet blanka can do something to bait it on wakeup.

so what would you suggest after knockdown from cHK, backthrow, forwardthrow to bait the ex birdkick.
chun with full super is scary like ryu so getting her to spent bars seams to be a very good idea.

Don’t have sloppy timing, that’s all I can really say.

Learn the timing to manually safejump off of sweep, AA upball, and slide. Use one of the many safejump setups that blanka has off of f.throw.

You can also use crouch to bait ex bird, you’ll go under the bird kick. This loses to wakeup buttons that aren’t bird kick obviously.

so after f-throw i should do dash jHP… though, i was never able to beat ex-birdkick with jMK…
after the jHP i should wait and if she does ex-birdkick, block and then backthrow her… sounds good?

Is that a safejump setup for Blanka? No it is not.

No, thats not how safejumps work.

whoops, got it mixedup :oops:

f.throw, f.dash, f.hop, nj.hk
f.throw, f.dash, f.hop, crossup j.mk
f.throw, mp ball, j.hk

these 3 should work, right?**

yes