AE Matchup Discussion: Cammy, Chun-Li, Cody, C. Viper, Dan

Cammy

Current Tier List Match Rating: 3/7

Cammy’s divekicks, option select ability, quick long reaching normals, good reversal and high damage cause a multitude of problems for Blanka. One could argue this is Blanka’s worst matchup(and you’d probably be right)

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: HK spiral arrow, EX spiral arrow, Super, U1

Recommended Ultra to use: U1

General Strategy:

Blanka does not have a clear strategy vs. Cammy. You can dance around trying to focus, but even a level 2 dash forward puts you in a mixup! Cammy wins in footsies, she does more damage, and she’s difficult to AA so your best bet is to try to force mistakes and capitalize on them.

Useful OS’s:

Notes:

Useful setups:
safejump -
f.throw whiff mp ball, j.hk
u1(hit low), whiff lp ball, backdash, j.hk

DP whiff setups -

super, backhop, whiff lp ball, j.hk
corner f.throw, whiff hp ball, cr.mp followed up by j.hp/mk or empty jump low

Punishes -

Player Notes about the match:

Videos:

Chun-Li

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6/4

Chun’s ability to punish balls is offset by her weak wakeup without meter, her terrible fireball recovery, and her bad options for getting in. Blanka has a clear advantage until Chun has super or ultra stocked so press the issue and make her burn ex meters.

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: dash forward st.mp(can be safeballed), dash forward super, U1

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:

Videos:

Cody

Current Tier List Match Rating: 5/5

Both characters weak wakeup options and strong forward moving lockdown cause problems for one another.

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: step forward lk ruffian kick(can be safeballed), step forward ex ruffian kick, U2(can be safeballed, sometimes you will be hit by one hit of dust, but will recover far before cody, this allows for a big punish)

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:

Videos:

C.Viper

Oddly enough Blanka’s generally poor wakeup game does well vs. Viper’s wakeup control. Blanka is able to force Viper to guess heavily in footsies. His unblockable vs. her lets him compensate somewhat for the damage difference between the 2.

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: mp/hp/ex Seismo Hammer

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s: b.throw, dash, j.mk[os cr.mp] - this gives you an option that stuffs nearly every option she has to counter the unblockable

b.throw, dash, j.mk[os b.throw] - this ends up neutral with most of her reversals, however it lets you go for another unblockable in the case of a reversal feint or reversal ex seismo

Notes:
? Midscreen Blanka’s standard unblockable of b.throw, dash, j.mk works on her.

Videos:

Dan

Dan is essentially a weakened shoto. Blanka does well vs. shotos. You do the math.

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with:

General Strategy:

Useful OS’s:

Notes:

Videos:

Anyone have decent Cody experience? I’m not quite sure how to handle his jumpins. His j.hk seems to beat a lot of moves and it has a ton of active frames. From far off I can stuff it pretty easily but close up I just seem to end up blocking and then getting frame-trapped or thrown to death.

closer jumps you have to like walk forward a bit and st.hk/hp. You’ll trade a lot though.

nj.hp works wonders if your reactions are good.

If you anticipate a f+mp, you can backdash it and be safe iirc

It’s a hard matchup to know well really. I think it’s slightly in Cody’s favor though.

Yeah it feels a bit like the Dudley matchup (although I do much better against Dudley).

It’s pretty similar actually. Safeball to bait U2 is something I try to do.

I’d say pretty even. The only good cody i’ve played is sabre so could be matchup experience. I had issues once he got close but his wakeup was pretty free and i can out foots him. Dudley is rough though. IIPeru/Marn/Liquidsrk all give me fits. I do fine against them i don’t think they know the matchup well. But man s.HP for duds is hard to face and while he doesn’t have the best reversals i don’t feel like i have an edge anywhere on the screen ;[

Cody wakeup is actually so free, that EX zonk can hit your option selects for doing them too early. Which is sort of funny that it is that slow.

Liquid is tough. st.fierce is a big problem. you can get under it with I think cr.jab or cr.forward though iirc. I haven’t played a decent dudley in forever.

My recent Dudley matches against bad Dudleys have been backthrow into corner, unblockable, hop over them, do it again, they are dizzy. Jump in elec combo, round over. It takes the least amount of time to finish the matchup that way.

Dudley: standing jab, standing mp, slide far jumpins, short ball into lp elec close jumpins

This is good duds info move it to duds post!

Oh just post random thing. I was talking to Kmada aka PJS Latif about the viper/blanka matchup. He felt that he hated when blanka went berserk on him and just went balls out random with hops. When i think about it it makes sense viper almost wants you to become stationary because her pressure is safe and strong when she has meter. While blanka has very solid defense, not being a mobile target may be easier for a viper to face then one that is moving all around her.

Just figured i would share that since blanka players usually hate on overhopping players and in this case it is something that you may want to do.

Yeah I’ve noticed that playing Wolfkrone, if I’m on the offensive I do much better than I do defensively. Blanka’s offense is good vs.viper cause she has slow normals, you can os her escape options, she has low stun/life, bad hitboxes, and obviously a b.throw against her can be gg.

I suck and get bodied, but even when I’m losing i can tell I have the advantage.

Dan

Current Tier List Match Rating: 6/4 (you should never lose to Dan!)

Can Punish Horizontal Ball with: nothing at mid screen

Recommended Ultra to use: Ultra 1

Recommended Taunt to use: 6,7

General Strategy: Dan has many normals that have frame advantage, but he can’t link very many of them without meter. He’ll want to get up close to med close, don’t let him. This seems similar to the Cody matchup. I try to stay outside of sweep range.

His best moves are hop kicks because they are mostly safe on recovery (lk 0, mk and hk -2, Ex -3). He will either srk after, throw, or wait to punish something. Standing HK, cr mp, or electricity will stop it. You can slide it if you read it early. Alternating standing mp and lp will also let you buffer punches for electricity.

His air lk knee can be tricky due to it’s hangtime and extended hit range. If he overuses this just meet him in the air with nj hp or jump back hp. LP up ball has enough hangtime to work as a all-in-one solution for his jumping mixup.

His short range pathetic fireball can catch balls and bad pokes. He shouldn’t use it much but slide and Ex roll will stop it just like every other fireball. Even a long range poke can beat or trade a fireball on startup due to his bad hurtbox.

Watch out for cr mk it has decent range and hit box and will get under lp and mp pokes. His standing mk has good range but can be swept under. His ultra 1 does good damage but can only be comboed off a meaty jumpin or crumple. Be ready to jab into ball at the hint of a FA. Ultra 2 can be fadc into but doesn’t do as much damage. If you chose u2 it would deal with his u2 easily.

Use your favorite taunt. I like 6 and 7.

His Srk, especially the ex version can make it difficult to jump at Dan, but you can with a well placed crossover mk. Don’t do it if he has meter.

Useful OS’s:

Notes: Can counter roll with ultra so don’t try to chipkill with horizontal roll

Videos

No new tips against Cody?

I’ve been pretty hopeless against any decent Cody lately.

What exactly are you losing to? Abuse his wakeup. Backdash out of strings and see if he can punish. Try to bait punishes with LP Ball and punish him.

I don’t know the match extremely well but that has worked for me against pretty much every Cody.

I have troubles against chun, she have good normals, good zoning, better than Blanka, i try to rushdown but i loose a lot… also, without the safe rolling against her in AE, it’s more hard.

Chun can’t reliably open blanka up. He can easily punish her fireball.

Her biggest asset in the matchup in terms of opening him up is Hazanshu, which can be beaten on reaction.

Footsies are fairly even, your st.strongs are fairly even, her sweep is better though.

The idea of rushing Chun down isn’t to just go in unprepared. You want to get a knockdown, then control her wakeup.

Also another thing is that you build meter faster than her. Whiffing lp electricity can make chun impatient which gives your more opportunities.

What beats hazanfeck on reaction? Something quick probably as she always does it after after a slow fireball, and the blockstun seems to limit options?

U1/U2/super, ex upball. If she just throws it out you can just st.hk it.

she shouldn’t ever be able to throw slow fireballs unless she’s knocked you down though.